Flush by 30?

Options

Comments

• jvr
    jvr Posts: 426 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi

I did the phone thing just before Christmas... was just at the end of my contract all happy to keep my old phone and pay a lot less and it fell in the sink... I felt the exact same stupid feeling but your right these things happen!

I would be bothered by that attitude too! Does he make an effort when he is actually with you? sometimes I think my OH never realises that it is not just what you do (such as travelling to see) but the attitude you do it with that makes someone feel carp or special. I also hate people cancelling which is ironic as I can when feeling down be a pain and flaky but if you have time and notice you can arrange something else to do rather than last minute be stuck with no plans and feel doubly worse! Hope things get sorted..... this is a very good place to vent at times I definitely have!!
    Debt: £14,000 now £2169
    Emergency Fund: 1000/ £1000
    :j
  • VelvetFreak
    VelvetFreak Posts: 573 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi, first time visiting your diary. Not wanting to be a Negative Nancy, re. the boyfriend, but I think actions speak louder than words. Have been through this nonsense before myself. Tell him to pull his head in or else :p
  • JWPopps
    JWPopps Posts: 341 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you both!

JVR it makes me feel better that I'm not alone with my phone-related clumsiness! Got my replacement today so just waiting for the SIM activation to go through.

Velvet Freak Ha, thank you - that's what I needed to hear! We had 'a chat' and he sulked that I was being mean to him and then changed his tune and has offered to come over next weekend AND the one after (my birthday) to make up for it... He's really good company and I am very fond of him (not going to be too mushy about him on the internet!!) but he's not really a 'good' boyfriend in some senses. As in, I don't expect we'll ever live together, because he's too set in his ways (at 31...)

Still, I feel better for my rant and in a generally better mood in general today. Except now I have the sniffles. So I also have a hot toddy. Swings, meet roundabouts........ :beer:
    Mortgage: £83,000
    Credit Card Debt: £1,700
    Loan Debt: £3,000

• Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,299 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Boo to the phone but glad it's sorted now, likewise with the boyfriend. You reminded me of my mum she used to say if a bloke was still living on their own at 30 they would be set in their ways. Must be the cut off point :)

Feel free to rant on here, we all do it, doesn't have to be MSE related.
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    That's hard about the long distance thing. I did it for my first term at Uni when my OH was still living in our home town. In our case it was a 4 hour hike door to door and at times I did resent it. He moved up and we moved in so that was the end of that but I sympathise. The cost alone is really tough.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • JWPopps
    Options
    Quick update from moi:

It's been a bit of a rough couple of weeks in some ways, but in others it's been great.

I've been hosting for 3 weeks, and the young person I've had staying had lots of issues (in my opinion not his fault!!) and therefore he acted out a little bit. I've had the police round more this last couple of weeks than ever before in my life!!

BUT they've found him a more permanent solution and he left happy, so I think that counts as a success.

Money-wise I'm feeling a little better. I forgot I'd bought some discounted Sainsbury's gift cards, so I'm not as broke as I thought - I have £60 for shopping that cost me £50 so that's good :)

Also got a lovely fresh fruit and veg delivery this morning and I will see my boyfriend for the first time in over a month :)

Hope everyone has a fab weekend :):)

• JWPopps
    Options
    Hello!

I'm going to stop apologising every time it's a while between posts; I think everyone here understands that life can get in the way!

My birthday was lovely, I bought 6 books so I'm in reading heaven. And I got my laminate flooring... honestly it's SO beautiful, and my dad did such an amazing job fitting it for me. I really am very lucky to have him!! I just want to sit in my living room more now, so I can't regret the additional cost even for a moment.

Money-wise: My credit card is currently a LITTLE higher than it says in my signature, but when I get this months' rent from Mum on the last day of March I will be putting the whole lot on the card, which will take me to about £700 left on the card. So, a small dent, but a dent nonetheless.

This is actually a really good sign, that I can use the entirety of Mum's rent money on the credit card, because it means I've managed to get my budgeting to a point where I'm not going into my overdraft and I'm not relying on Mum's rent money to get by. It's a good time to be in that position given that she's moving out in 2 months.

I've also learned something else about myself: when I get paid, it is safest for me to remove the temptation of having money in my account. This was more or less fine when I was always in my overdraft because I never had any money, but now I am always at least a little bit in credit I always have this temptation to just treat myself, or treat other people around me until there's no money left. It's almost as though I feel safer when I have no money in my account, because that's how I'm used to living.

So, to deal with this I have started doing a few things:
    - I move grocery budgets to a different account on the day I get paid
    - I make all the overpayments I've allotted for the month on the day I get paid too, so my debts are dealt with first
    - I move a little bit of 'fun' money into another account too - and then every time I buy a £1.75 coffee, or go for dinner with friends, I pay using my debit card and move the money immediately from the fun fund into my main account to cover it. This means I can check up on how much 'fun' I'm allowed to have as the month goes on.
    - I also use up as much of my grocery budget as early as possible. I've started doing this in the last couple of months, because I know that food is one of my biggest budgeting weaknesses. I can be very easily tempted by things in fancy jars and nice bread. So, I pre-order boxes of fruit and veg to be delivered to my house every week (we've got an amazing service now that only costs between £17 and £20 and you get LOADS), and I also buy discounted Sainsbury's gift cards (I get them through work and if I buy one for £50 it only costs me £45). I then use this card in the last week or so of the month when the rest of my budget is depleted, and it helps make sure I only use my grocery budget for, well, groceries. Also, I always do an Asda home delivery order as soon as I get paid to fill up on anything we're short of for the month ahead.

Phew! I do feel like I have come a long way since I started tracking my progress on this site, so it's definitely been helpful. I feel calmer, I'm much less stressed about money on a day-to-day basis. I do still hate that I have a credit card and a loan, but I'm more relaxed about the fact I'm paying them off and still living a nice life.

So, I'm happy. I always said being 27 was going to be a good year for me, and so far it is turning out to be true :)

• Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,299 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Pleased to read all is well and that you had a good birthday.

I've got a separate account for my spending money, with the same bank but with a separate card. It does help with budgeting. I split the amount into 4 and try to stick to it each week.

We can buy discounted gift cards where I work, never taken it up though.
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • JWPopps
    Options
    Thanks SA :)

It's a new initiative for us and I quite like it. I wouldn't want to put ALL my budget on gift cards in case something happened, but it seems to be working as part of a wider mixture of techniques.

Oh, I forgot to say - I SHOULD have about £200 coming in from my hosting, but my guest the other night accidentally left the hot tap running on full blast all day when we let the other day, so I'm parking that extra money until I've worked out with British Gas what that slip up will cost me. It was running solidly for about 7 hours... please tell me this has happened to other people too and it's not too disastrous?!

• jvr
    jvr Posts: 426 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Your doing so well! I am not and I need to work up the courage to confess in my diary!

I imagine its just like leaving the heating on all day? I may be wrong but I cant see it being too crazy.
    Debt: £14,000 now £2169
    Emergency Fund: 1000/ £1000
    :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills