Quit everything , and start again over 50?

Options

Comments

• another_casualty
    Options
    Glad you approve LL . Have a great time . ;)
  • thegreenone
    thegreenone Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    AC, go for it down Poole way.
    We've been looking at retirement options and Chichester-Poole are seeming to be the best options for us.

Don't forget there are some big companies in Bournemouth who may be looking for people with your job skills.

A life by the sea, I am sure will open up to joining walking groups to help with weightloss and social life. That's what I am hoping for us!
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Thanks green one ;) still mulling over everything
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Spoke to another great friend of mine . He actually agrees with what I doing. He was the person who influenced me to do this in the first place ;)
    Looks like I'm doing as I'm told ;)
  • another_casualty
    Options
    So, today I was out with my brother. We had our usual bickering moments.;) He gave me a loan of£1000.00. Gives me a breathing space.
    (See other thread).
    However, he thinks I'm mad moving , and should downsize to a one bedroom in twickenham . He say that even if i have a £30/40,000 mortgage , I'd still have less outgoings than I have now. I have been Looking at 1 beds for some time ,and don't think it's worth it .
    Oh well...
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Forgot to mention , he says that I will die in Poole . Nobody to look after me , as I know nobody etc. I will age quickly etc.
    He also says I should delay downsizing until I retire .
    Depressing stuff .
    I'm trying to stick to my decision , but has he got a point ?
  • Rrushi_Shqiptar
    Options
    you could move to Molsey or the hamptons, cheaper and in the same area. Not as nice as Twickenham (depends which bit your in)
    I love green dots :T I hate red dots :mad:
  • patanne
    patanne Posts: 1,286 Forumite
    Options
    Who is going to look after you in London. Most people are probably too busy. Is he going to look after you? The only people who will look after us when it comes to it is us! Are you sure you are going to need looking after? Get away from the main stresses in your life and you will outlive them all!
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Don't really fancy Molsey or the hamptons tbh.
    I guess my brother is underlining the fact that I'm all alone if I move , and there's no turning back .
    I've pu on so much weight ( partly due to steroids). I know that if I move , and go straight to b&b, the other thing will be to join a gym for 3 months with instructor . At this moment I feel like I could keel over at anytime.
    If I stay, then I haven't the cash to join gym , or go on any brakes next year . I guess I have to focus on a daunting move ;)
  • dktreesea
    dktreesea Posts: 5,736 Forumite
    Options
    AC, I'm from London and haven't lived there for years. I would suggest taking a break, even if just a few days over a weekend, and looking back over your shoulder, at London, Poole, Bournemouth and any other places you fancy living. It changes the way you look at locations. Maybe rather than driving just plan it in advance and take one of those Megabus £1 rides both ways. The point is to get somewhere neutral to think and get a fresh perspective, rather than spend any money.

I've never regretted not staying in London because I realised, standing on the northern Scottish coast, I can't live away from the sea.

I would suggest, if you only fancy a day trip, going somewhere like Bristol, so you can "view" the options of London or somewhere like Poole, from a neutral place.

As to managing the money, maybe take your pay, take out essentials/fixed payments like electricity, gas, mortgage, council tax, mobile phone bill, TV/broadband, minimum payment to credit cards, season transport ticket if you have one, then divide what remains by 30 days, take off 10% and don't spend more than what is left on any one day.

For me at one stage, that worked out to £4.50 a day for a family of 4. It was fine. We coped. And ate well. Fresh food is good value for money. I didn't go without my coffees. I just switched to Wetherspoons, great value for money and I still like their coffee to this day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure