PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Black Friday ,will you be tempted ??

Options

Comments

• pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have succumbed to a new iPad, £40 off and a year to pay, from Argos.

My old one is exactly 5 years old and slow. OH will use that one now. Still feel a bit guilty, though.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Running_On_Empty
    Options
    I got two deals: on kitchen tiles and on slippers the day before Black Friday, ie yesterday on the slippers, and two days before on Wednesday simply by asking if they were having any discounts for Black Friday and could I have the discounts anyway.
    The tiles I got 30 per cent off and the slippers, 20 per cent off.
    Both were purchases I was going to make anyway at some point before christmas.
    I abhor this creeping Americanism of our culture and language but am pleased that this is something that isn't always necessarily negative.
    I would certainly never impulse buy just because it's Black Friday.
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mister CJ bought me something lovely for my birthday on Wednesday, and I've just spotted it for half price elsewhere today so I am going to ask him to send the original back to Amazon (I haven't even unpacked it yet) and place the alternative order at the second place before the Black Friday deals end tonight.

He wouldn't normally want any of this fuss or hassle, but it will save him about £150 so I'm sure he won't mind :)
  • AndyCF
    AndyCF Posts: 748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well I called into our local 'well known discount shop' as I wanted a pack of biscuits as the tin was empty and a small loaf. It was absolutely rammed with people :D:( , they had some kind of "20% off toys" sale going on.
  • so_very_confused
    Options
    Bought today....loaf and milk, no discounts available.:)
    SCP # 034
    The £1000 emergency fund #59
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :( My city is in a horrible horrible mess with cars every which way and has been gridlocked for most of the day - some delivery drivers were taking 1 hr + to travel a mile by the early afternoon.

I've had to cancel an errand in a pal's car intended for this evening because neither they nor I can face sitting in traffic.

:D I did buy a £2.99 shirt in a chazzer for my brother and will hit up the YS bargains (on foot) about 7-ish.

Other than that, I'd rather have a root canal filling than go on a shopping trip on any day, never mind this one.:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 24 November 2017 at 6:39PM
    Options
    I did go shopping today, not for Black Friday 'offers' but for stocking/Christmas presents and seemed to be the ONLY person looking at sale rails and getting various bargains off 'ordinary' displays. I've virtually finished the Christmas shopping and came home with things worth quite a lot more than I actually paid for them. Worse thing was the crush of people all looking for the big items that were on offer but it was definitely worth it as I'm very happy with what I got and so will the recipients be when they get their presents on Christmas day!
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,101 Forumite
    Options
    I had a wish list of things to buy for Christmas presents so did see if anything on various sites had been discounted so no shopping frenzy for me but I was delighted to save nearly £10 on the gin liquers I was going to buy anyway!
  • Grumpysally
    Grumpysally Posts: 791 Forumite
    edited 24 November 2017 at 10:25PM
    Options
    I'd signed up to Amazon Prime free trail, with the intention of buying an Instant Pot. A few days before hand it was announced on their Facebook page that they wouldn't be included in the promotion this year. Just as well really as our shower gave up the ghost a few weeks ago and I'm not sure I could convince OH that "yet another thing cluttering the kitchen" was a justifiable expense at the moment.
    However browsing this morning I found a promotion on Kipling handbags. I bought a handbag that was apparently £84 for £33.49.
    As the zip on mine has started to either jam or come apart, I see this as a necessary purchase. I don't want my purse stolen do I?

Not only was there a reduction, I'd also done the Amazon "free cash" promotions where you got an extra £6 formbuying a gift card, an extra £5 for topping up in store (as publicised on the MSE newsletter recently) and also another £5 bonus for another gift card purchase. Some effectively another £16 off. So a Kipling bag for under £20. :-)

There is of course the matter of the gift card balance now on my account, which was meant to go towards the Instant Pot purchase. No doubt something will come along that I want /need to buy before they expire in 2027. Maybe even an Instant Pot

Edit, I went into my local town today to meet a friend. No evidence of marauding crowds. Everyone must have gone to the big out of town shopping centres.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I put together a list a couple of weeks ago for some items I was interested in. Couple of Xmas gifts and a couple of wants (not needs) for me. I picked up a few bits, and got another item on the list in a deal this week. Main item on the list wasn't on a deal for us but never mind. Time to put the credit card away now.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family