The impossible dream

Options

Comments

• Tahlullah
    Tahlullah Posts: 1,086 Forumite
    Options
    Off to a flying start... sent my first email offering to volunteer either as a worker on the street giving out food, or in administration.

Lets see if I am successful.

Suprisingly, lots of places say they don't need volunteers.

oh well.
    Still striving to be mortgage free before I get to a point I can't enjoy it.

Owed at the end of -
    02/19 - £78,400. 04/19 - £85,000. 05/19 - £83,300. 06/19 - £78,900.
    07/19 - £77,500. 08/19 - £76,000.
  • TallGirl
    TallGirl Posts: 5,552 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Glad you can still see the positives and would want to help others I am sure you will find something soon but don't forget to look after yourself as well it sounds a bit stressful with your job.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Mar  £30,850 + £12K added to pension) (Wins 24 Jan £200 Feb £150 Mar £75 Apr £125) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• tootallulah
    tootallulah Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Options
    Good luck on volunteering, I volunteer in my local food bank, it is important work, I do enjoy it but also if I am honest it also makes my angry that in Britain, people need a food bank, shaming for us as a nation.

Sorry to hear about your job I hope you get something close to home soon.

Re Blackpool, we always ask good candidates who withdraw why, sometimes a conversation reveals misconceptions etc. They must have been keen on you. And also there aren't always lots of good candidates it is a sign that your skills are needed.
  • Tahlullah
    Options
    I agree, it does shame us that we have so many who are now reliant on food banks, and a large proportion of those in need are working. The saying 'A society will be judged on the basis of how it treats its weakest and most vulnerable members' should make us all stop and reevaluate. We are surely falling short and should hang our heads in shame, for allowing our society to find it acceptable to judge others as less deserving and to label people as scroungers, without fully understanding the rules of engagement.

Nothing happening with the job hunting. I am staying right where I am. As I said, I have a lot of work to do to help us back onto our feet. We have stumbled, not fallen, and like people, you can struggle to your feet if others give you a helping hand and stand by your side whilst you are a bit unsteady. So, I am digging in. I fully expect to be in this job this time next year, perhaps a bit leaner, but still here serving the community. And if I am lucky, still overpaying my mortgage and doing a bit of voluntary work on the side.

Owed at the end of -
  • tootallulah
    tootallulah Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Options
    Good for you, I hope that all of your digging grows fruit!
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    Tahlullah wrote: »
    I agree, it does shame us that we have so many who are now reliant on food banks, and a large proportion of those in need are working. The saying 'A society will be judged on the basis of how it treats its weakest and most vulnerable members' should make us all stop and reevaluate. We are surely falling short and should hang our heads in shame, for allowing our society to find it acceptable to judge others as less deserving and to label people as scroungers, without fully understanding the rules of engagement.

Nothing happening with the job hunting. I am staying right where I am. As I said, I have a lot of work to do to help us back onto our feet. We have stumbled, not fallen, and like people, you can struggle to your feet if others give you a helping hand and stand by your side whilst you are a bit unsteady. So, I am digging in. I fully expect to be in this job this time next year, perhaps a bit leaner, but still here serving the community. And if I am lucky, still overpaying my mortgage and doing a bit of voluntary work on the side.
    A beautiful post.

Thank you. Tilly x
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • Tahlullah
    Options
    No word on becoming a volunteer. Oh well, if it happens, it happens.

But, I have managed to increase my monthly payments on the mortgage by £200, so the great plan of being mortgage free before my 51st birthday is still on track.

All good.

Owed at the end of -
  • Tahlullah
    Options
    Breaking news! The application to become a volunteer has arrived!

Stage 2 of world domination to commence this evening ... complete said form...

Watch this space for further earth shattering news on the search for voluntary work.

Owed at the end of -
  • LydiaJ
    LydiaJ Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Tahlullah wrote: »
    Breaking news! The application to become a volunteer has arrived!

Stage 2 of world domination to commence this evening ... complete said form...

Watch this space for further earth shattering news on the search for voluntary work.

That sounds promising. What sort of questions do you get asked on a form for volunteering in a soup kitchen?
    Do you know anyone who's bereaved? Point them to https://www.AtaLoss.org which does for bereavement support what MSE does for financial services, providing links to support organisations relevant to the circumstances of the loss & the local area. (Link permitted by forum team)
    Tyre performance in the wet deteriorates rapidly below about 3mm tread - change yours when they get dangerous, not just when they are nearly illegal (1.6mm).
    Oh, and wear your seatbelt. My kids are only alive because they were wearing theirs when somebody else was driving in wet weather with worn tyres.
    :)
  • icontinuetodream
    Options
    Good luck with the volunteering!!:D When my babies were young (before I went back to paid employment) I used to volunteer at a drop in centre for people with substance misuse and also for victim support....it was a really good experience and I enjoyed it a lot - it sort of decided my future paid employment too in a way as I went on to work with substance misuse clients and in the criminal justice system for a number of years following it! ;)

Glad to be out of those fields now, but my volunteering certainly gave me an advantage and an understanding that I probably wouldn't have been able to gain if I had been paid for it :D
    Mortgage 12.12.12 £55842 12.12.13 £42716 14.12.14 £28837 13.12.15 £25913
    Mortgage OP £50/£600 House Fund £420/£5000
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport