PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Should I ask to take the rest of the wine bottle home?

Options

Comments

• Oldangrumpy
    Options
    Wine can be expensive and too good to leave behind. These days the bottles usually have screw caps so we ask for one to put on and take the bottle home. Never had a problem with this.
  • DSmiffy
    DSmiffy Posts: 791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I work in a pub restaurant, some people order a bottle of wine and ask for the cork or screw top there and then. No problems, I now do the same. Then you don't need to ask for it at the end. Just put the lid on and take it home.
    if anyone stopped me from taking it home I would be asking for whatever was left in the bottle to be refunded!!
  • meknowalot-51
    Options
    Next time you both go out to the restaurant have a word with the waiter or owner about your concerns and i'm sure they wouldn't mind.After all you paid for it so why not,same goes for the food.We haven't been anywhere that doesn't allow this and on a few occasions left with a doggie bag.Don't worry about anything as your repeat custom is very valuable to them.
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Apologies to all regarding my posts, I have not held a licence since 1982 and was unaware the Licencing act had changed.

Goes to hide in corner for 30 mins
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • kryssykk
    Options
    Well I would sooner take the rest of the wine home rather than the rest of the wine bottle!!!
    It's not something that I have ever tried as we always finish the bottle over the meal however, You have paid for it and like the doggy bag and contents you have every right to take the rest with you when you leave.:beer:
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    edited 26 February 2015 at 11:02PM
    Options
    tabbycat wrote: »
    My husband and I are recently retired and I don't think it's anything to do with manners. I think it would be worse to drink the whole bottle and then behave in a drunken manner.

Just to be clear, I was referring to a much older generation - those who would now be in their nineties, and I know that some of them would have thought it right to leave left-overs for the staff.
    I was just commenting on a post where this had been mentioned and wanted to say that I too, had heard people say this.
  • lesbro
    lesbro Posts: 59 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I once surprised the wine waiter by asking if I could take the water bottle home. I only wanted the pretty bottle.
  • Hominu
    Hominu Posts: 1,671 Forumite
    edited 1 March 2015 at 11:09AM
    Options
    surfsister wrote: »
    wring they sell it by the glass!!! to other customers

Now I'm pretty sure that is both illegal and immoral. I'm sure they have to throw away any unused wine unless its been in a secure environment (ie, behind the bar where only staff can access).

Regarding the question, I've always been asked if I've wanted the cap/cork just in case we wanted to reseal the bottle for whatever reason, including taking it home.

However, if I was in a party of people I'd feel uncomfortable taking a half bottle of wine home. I'd be more inclined to leave it there and have done in the past.
  • gayleygoo
    gayleygoo Posts: 816 Forumite
    Options
    In theory I would take it. But in practice I don't think I've ever had a meal out where the alcohol wasn't all finished!

I used to work in a restaurant and if there was wine left we didn't want to drink it, but mused on the waste. Well, maybe if the bottle was "more than half full" one of the other waitresses might have capped it and took it home, but again it was quite rare for people to leave a significant quantity of wine. We kept some old caps and corks in a small bowl behind the bar, because people did sometimes ask for one to take their wine home.

One Love, One Life, Let's Get Together and Be Alright :)

April GC 13.20/£300
    April
    NSDs 0/10
    CC's £255
  • John58_2
    John58_2 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Of course you can take it and you don't need to ask. It's yours, you paid for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure