Wetherspoons New Food Items

Options

Comments

• Nada666
    Nada666 Posts: 5,004 Forumite
    Options
    Mechanically recovered slime formed into sausage shapes which cannot be legally described as meat.

Hideous stuff best avoided.
    I take it you never eat soups, then?
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I never know why some people are so down on Wetherspoons and often snobbery raises it ugly head. For me I have enjoyed many a heart meal and would highly recommend them for value.
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    Options
    I agree. The snobbery against Spoons is just that, snobbery. That they provide excellent value for good honest food.
    Particularly for those of us who aren't prepared to, or cannot afford to pay restaurant prices.
    You know exactly what you are going to be getting, and they make no pretence to be anything that they are not.
    Their success speaks for itself.. I, for one, can say that, for the price, their food is as good as any you will find in the same price bracket. Also, elsewhere, you will be paying much higher prices for the drink with your meal.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • vodkachick68
    Options
    I and the Mexican chicken burger for lunch in spoons today and it was delicious 😀 I had a lovely chicken breast smothered in guacamole sauce,cheese and loads of fresh chilli. It was served with a ton of onion rings,salsa and soured cream dip with a big side salad and a medium glass of ros! all for £6.50ish. It was good value for money with the wine thrown in as well.

I also love the eggs benedict off the breakfast menu with coffee or tea all for under £4.
  • supermassive
    Options
    The calorie levels are astronomical. Makes me wonder exactly what's in a chicken salad (no dressing) That's so bad.

Last time I went to Wetherspoons (we've got about 5 of them in this tiny town, for some reason), I figured it'd be the same as ever, with it being almost standardised now.

I ordered (out of character for me but I was having a 'lets get fat' day) A burger and chips.

What I received didn't fill my plate, or even begin to... and it wasn't a large plate.

I had a bite of the burger that tasted like charcoal, with a sticky bun that tasted oddly sweet like a hot cross bun. But the worst part was the chips. I was given such a miniscule serving that I decided to count them - and categorize them.

3 large fully formed chips
    4 short, broken looking chips
    3 ex-chips, empty and soulless.

My Gast was all a Flabber.

My onion rings seemed like a cross between frozen and overcooked, something which I couldn't work out how it'd been done.

All in all a pretty dire attempt.

Oh, and we were given serviettes that looked like they had come from a kid's birthday party.

:rotfl: It was probably a one-off, but the look on the waitress' face when I said the burger was charcoal "Oh, silly you, it's chargrilled" and then I took it out of the bread and she witnessed me 'snapping' it. "Oh, I see what you mean". Yes, love.

I'll go back, but I don't care if it's relatively cheap (it's not cheap), I'm not going to pay for substandard crap.
    I can't add up.
  • lindens
    lindens Posts: 2,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I do like wetherspoons but my criticism is their portions of chips are pathetic. The fact that you can even count them speaks volumes.
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I eat in Spoons now and again.
    As I worked for them some years ago (fantastically family friendly hours -I used to work school hours and all holidays off) I'm aware of their kitchen standards and portion control and in all honesty I've never had a "miniscule" serving or badly cooked food. I've also done food & bev retail audits for them so have seen quite a few different branches. I'll often struggle to finish a meal so I have to wonder if some people are just plain greedy and expect meals the size they have at home that aren't most people's idea of normal.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • PDC
    PDC Posts: 805 Forumite
    Options
    MABLE wrote: »
    I never know why some people are so down on Wetherspoons and often snobbery raises it ugly head. For me I have enjoyed many a heart meal and would highly recommend them for value.

From my experience some of them are great, well run places and some of them, well, aren't. I wish our local one was a good one where I would fell happy eating but it isn't. There never seems to be anyone in charge, the tables are sticky, often the glasses are dirty, their are always lots of little flies in there and once I saw the cook come out the kitchen in his whites, jump in the bins outside to flatten them down and then walk straight back into the kitchen. Doesn't strike me as a place with hygiene at the top of their priority list.

I should add I know this as I do call in there on rare occasions, often because its the only place open and for the good choice of drinks.

I do travel a lot and agree, some of them are really good and very good value so I'm not down on them as a whole, but I can understand why some people who went in a 'bad one' once would feel about them they way they do.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We have a good one in Washington,Tyne & Wear last friday was " fish friday" a large potion of cod in a crispy batter,chips and mushy or garden peas.£6.45 plus a free pint! very good value,the place is always clean and the staff pleasant

Ganga
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    lindens wrote: »
    I do like wetherspoons but my criticism is their portions of chips are pathetic. The fact that you can even count them speaks volumes.

As opposed to the unquantifiable cornucopia of frites that any other restaurant offers? :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure