The Cutting Down / Giving Up Booze Thread (Part 14)

Options

Comments

• PriceySOS
    Options
    16 please, Shaggy, thanks I also count my units and this means that I can't have another glass of wine until 1 October - I am trying to gradually reduce units and beat last year's total. We are selling our house at the moment and moving from Cheshire to South Wales - very daunting, but we are going to be living near the sea, and the vast majority of DH's work is in S Wales. An adventure - all our DD's have flown, leaving a very empty nest here.
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    24/31 AFDs for October
  • PriceySOS
    Options
    Target of 20 AFDs for October, please Shaggy, ta
  • sukeyboo
    sukeyboo Posts: 2,057 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Please can I have a target of 14 for October please Shaggy
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,331 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 25 September 2017 at 4:55PM
    Options
    Honey_Bear wrote: »
    I always have my maximum allowance from the library and am now ploughing my way through social science and political stuff. I've taken to reading the first and last chapters and then reading the chapter titles before ploughing through from front to back and it's certainly helping me understand things without boring me to death. Unfortunately for me when I went to Dartington's Ways with Words in the summer (ex-booze money - I'd forgotten about that splurge and it'll happen annually from now on) I was so inspired by some of the speakers I ended up buying several books. For the first time in my life I now have a little shelfie of unread paperbacks - I've never, ever done that before.

I've put on a whole kilo! Why this happens is beyond me - I eat like a pig, nothing goes on, the following week the scales shout, 'Ouch!' when I step on them. Better rein it in rather savagely.

Me too, Honey Bear, I have a big pile of books from the library plus a big pile of books I bought that I am working my way through. I don't know what I would do with myself if I couldn't read.

Re the scales, I think it always takes about a week, plus a week to start losing? It's mysterious. I'm not sure a kilo is that much though - I weigh myself most days and it seems to fluctuate for no apparent reason, half a kilo this way, half a kilo that. I've never understood it. The usual advice is not to weigh yourself every day I think but I did read somewhere that it can be quite motivating and had been shown that people who weighed themselves in the morning would eat less for that day. It does help, I think - I have it in my mind for the rest of the day.
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • cathybird
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    You'd love my home Cathy. We have books floor to ceiling! :)Unfortunately, the vast majority belong to my DH as I have a strange relationship with reading that I can't seem to get out of. I spent much of my professional life reading papers and journals and government edicts so novels ended up being either holiday or bedtime reading. I now can't seem to read for pleasure unless I'm either in bed or on a sunlounger. I read my newspaper in bed every morning and have been known to go to bed early (or even for an hour or two) when I want to read a book.

maman, I would love that - honestly, books in every room is my ideal. :) I know what you mean about your job impinging on it though because my job involves similar things and while it doesn't stop me reading it does stop me doing other things that feel job-related.

I have been thinking lately that I should aim for less passive entertainment in the evenings (ie the telly) and more useful stuff but not quite sure how this would work either. It probably is an AF thing as the whole evening is so much more available when it isn't taken up by drinking.
  • cathybird
    Options
    Shaggy, could I please have a target of 21 for October? ... Been thinking of raising it but not just yet. Thanks once again for all your hard work with the thread. btw. :)
  • cathybird
    Options
    Hey PS Shaggy, I love the black cat! It's fabulous :)
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'll have my usual

Target of 10 for October please Shaggy.:)

PriceySOS wrote: »
    We are selling our house at the moment and moving from Cheshire to South Wales - very daunting, but we are going to be living near the sea, and the vast majority of DH's work is in S Wales. An adventure - all our DD's have flown, leaving a very empty nest here.

That's exciting, pricey. I'm from South Wales but living in exile. Which part are you moving to?
  • PriceySOS
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    That's exciting, pricey. I'm from South Wales but living in exile. Which part are you moving to?

That's a coincidence, Maman!! We are moving to between Penarth and Cardiff Bay. It is very exciting :j- slightly closer to London to see my 2 DDs who are now there, and very close to Bristol, where DD3 is still at uni, so I can just hop across and see her :j Where are you from?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure