Benefits for 17 year old???

Options

Comments

• robby-01
    robby-01 Posts: 1,336 Forumite
    Options
    Tell the lazy little **** to get out there and get a job,or go to college to learn a skill to get a better job.
    For gods sake people are travelling across europe in battered cars to look for work here ,and most are successful.
    Contact an employment agency on his behalf if he cant be bothered.What right does a seventeen year old have to even consider staying at home on benefits over getting out there and earning a living.He needs a kick up the backside and soon.
    Believe me if your son really wants a job he can get one.
  • Dumyat
    Dumyat Posts: 2,143 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    no one wants a career at McD's but any job is better than none. If nothing else it will give him someone to use as a reference about time keeping etc when a job he really wants comes up. My husband started off advertising himself as a boy friday. this lead to him cutting grass (this was after going to college)..it lead to other things and now he is very successful.
    What kind of work is he looking for?
    x x x
  • iceicebaby
    iceicebaby Posts: 3,633 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think everyone else on here has said it all. he needs to get a job, Fast food places, shops, and I dont know where u live but where I am we have loads of call centres crying out for staff.

When you said in the original post no jobs are forthcoming, I think he's either being too choosy, or just telling you that as he can't be bothered. Sorry to dound harsh but there really is no excuse for a fit and healthy 17 year old to be on benefits.
    Baby Ice arrived 17th April 2011. Tired.com! :j
  • purpledoogle
    Options
    Why at such a young age is your son looking to claim benifits, there is plenty of work out there may not be a good job but it beats nothing!
  • whambamboo
    whambamboo Posts: 1,287 Forumite
    Options
    dogrose wrote:
    no one wants a career at McD's but any job is better than none. If nothing else it will give him someone to use as a reference about time keeping etc when a job he really wants comes up

McDonalds is actually a good place to work. If you're any good they have excellent career progression, and promote quickly.

If you're lazy and have bad attitude, well you'll struggle anywhere.
    My policies are based not on some economics theory, but on things I and millions like me were brought up with: an honest day's work for an honest day's pay; live within your means; put by a nest egg for a rainy day; pay your bills on time; support the police - Margaret Thatcher.
  • lilac_lady
    lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sorry for you as his mother and a single parent. It's not easy to make a lazy/stroppy(?)teenager toe the line. I would say to him that if he doesn't want to work then he can help arounnd the house and I would give a LONG list of chores when I wakened him at 6:30 every morning. He would think a job would be easier than housework (and it often is!)
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• sea-sidelady
    Options
    I am in the same situation, 17 year old son, no job.
    Big difference is my son has a severe disability. He left school went to collage for the first year, passed all his exams, then we had a death in the family at the start of term, so he couldnt go back. Now he is soley living off me. He is extremly limiteed to what type of work he can do. (not even maccys) im a single parent 2 kids.
    I have heard there is some help out there for his situation but i have no idea what. If anyone knows what this is, any help would be great.
  • jowmonty
    Options
    Hi, My son is under the disability team at the jobcentre. He is high-functioning autistic (Aspergers) he is not really capable of looking after his little sister. His problems with finding work are alot greater than you or me. Has a problems with public transport, crowds ect. He finds it very difficult expressing himself and cannot read body language very well. Will need alot of support. Good news though he has an appointment today with a keyworker who will help him.
  • jowmonty
    Options
    RayWolfe wrote:
    Strange contradictions here. You can't work for lack of childcare but you have to support him! What about him being the childcare whilst you work.
    I bet that would scare him into finding a job.
    Ray
    Not judgmental; just curious.
    My son is high-functioning autistic (aspergers) he would not be able to look after his little sister. I am able to leave him while I work, he can look after himself to a point but I would not make him responsible for his sister he would not be able to cope with her on his own.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have heard there is some help out there for his situation but i have no idea what. If anyone knows what this is, any help would be great.
    In theory, Connexions should be able to help him.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport