PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Council Tax

Options

Comments

• vuvuzela
    vuvuzela Posts: 3,648 Forumite
    Options
    Band A, West Yorks. Gone up 4.99% (including 3% for adult social care) to £992.03.
  • Kevie192
    Kevie192 Posts: 1,146 Forumite
    Options
    boliston wrote: »
    In some ways it would make more sense to rate properties by the land area they occupy than the internal floor area or number of bedrooms.

If you live in a flat it is a much more efficient use of land so the land used by the plot could be divided by the number of floors in the block.

No, it wouldn't.

A block of flats produces considerably more strain on waste, police, fire, infrastructure than a single house. That's a very poor and unfair idea.

And this is spoken as an occupant of a flat!
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    * Adult social care sounds like the elderly, did you know your council provides houses and 24 hr carers for numerous 18-24 yr old's where the parents can't be arsed looking after them?

Hold on a minute, the care requirements of some profoundly disabled young adults are well above what most people could ever manage (or afford) at home.

Think before you judge, please.
  • LittleMax
    LittleMax Posts: 1,406 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ???

do the rich get a special line to call to get more police to turn up?
    do the rich get a bin lorry that is more fancy than the poor?
    do the fire service ask for your income before deciding if they turn up?
    do the rich old people get more free care from the council?

do the rich pay more for the same services?

that's a strange definition of favours!

No, we should all pay according to our means for a fair and equitable service. That's what taxation is all about. Are you seriously proposing that we all pay a flat rate of tax? Maybe we should go the whole hog and have a pay per use system - I don't have children, I would quite happily not pay for education. Doesn't work does it?
  • LittleMax
    Options
    Our borough council have gone for the maximum £5 increase - then on top of that introduced a £40 a year charge for green waste collection (optional charge!). A stealthy way of getting round holding a referendum on council tax increases.

And - yes I know lots of you already pay for your green waste to be collected but that doesn't make it right or fair!

The councils are reluctant to take referenda - yet that is the way to put pressure on central government who are causing the problems by cutting funding. Personally it is my view that local services should be funded by a distribution of national taxation - thus removing the regional economic variances.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    LittleMax wrote: »
    Maybe we should go the whole hog and have a pay per use system - I don't have children, I would quite happily not pay for education. Doesn't work does it?

No that doesn't work: under a pay per use system you would need to pay for education you recieved as a child. The fact you don't have any children is irrelevant: even if you did, it would be their responsibility to pay for their education.
  • sparky130a
    sparky130a Posts: 660 Forumite
    Options
    LittleMax wrote: »
    No, we should all pay according to our means for a fair and equitable service. That's what taxation is all about. Are you seriously proposing that we all pay a flat rate of tax? Maybe we should go the whole hog and have a pay per use system - I don't have children, I would quite happily not pay for education. Doesn't work does it?

From rudimentary economic A levels that depends.

It's either progressive, regressive or proportional. Depending on government you take your pick...
  • LittleMax
    Options
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    No that doesn't work: under a pay per use system you would need to pay for education you recieved as a child. The fact you don't have any children is irrelevant: even if you did, it would be their responsibility to pay for their education.

No, on a pay per use basis parents pay private schools to educate their children - if they can't afford it their children don't get educated.

Under a fair taxation system - I am satisfied that I am paying for my own education - or for all children to be educated, in order that as a society we will advance and they will be able to contribute for me when I am old.
  • chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    At the moment the only service we use from the council is having our bin collected.

But that'll change next year when our son will be going to primary school
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,835 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    At the moment the only service we use from the council is having our bin collected.

I suspect you're wrong.
    For starters, an element of council tax goes to the fire service, the police service, maintainance of street lighting and local roads.

I can't believe you'd not expect the fire brigade to turn up if your house was burning down....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure