Everyday Ordinary Man Approaching Full Retirement at 59.

Options

Comments

• bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    dunroving wrote: »
    closer to where I am originally from (Midlands). Where I currently live (middle of Scotland), it's a decent day's drive to most of my family and old friends.

I wouldn't move to anywhere isolated, especially as I live by myself. Currently struggling to find somewhere within at least reasonable distance from decent hiking and biking territory. North of Birmingham is currently on the radar, like Lichfield. That is an easy drive/train (1 hr) from relatives and friends in Birmingham, and a similar drive to the Peak District and only 15 minutes from Cannock Chase.

As others have said, location of hospitals, GP, shops, library, etc., are also definitely on the checklist! I completely stuffed my back the day before I retired and being stranded like a beached whale on the sofa for weeks on end gave me a taste of what it's like to be "stuck" with a health problem. The village is quite insular and "white settlers" (their term for incomers, especially if they are English) find it difficult to assimilate. I could fall down the stairs and drop dead and no-one would know for at least a week or two.

Sorry I just have to :rotfl:at the Scotland to Midlands bit being a decent days drive. I used have a regular run, leave Manchester, load Dundee, tip Exeter, back up to Manchester in the day. Joys of being a van driver:D

I agree on the not too isolated bit, I'm actually a sociable person so it would never suit me and as you go on to say, living alone out in the sticks can present problems. I think South Staffs is a lovely area, so Lichfield area would get my vote over the peak disrict.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    bugslet wrote: »
    Sorry I just have to :rotfl:at the Scotland to Midlands bit being a decent days drive. I used have a regular run, leave Manchester, load Dundee, tip Exeter, back up to Manchester in the day. Joys of being a van driver:D

I agree on the not too isolated bit, I'm actually a sociable person so it would never suit me and as you go on to say, living alone out in the sticks can present problems. I think South Staffs is a lovely area, so Lichfield area would get my vote over the peak disrict.

Ha ha, to a lot of my F&F, Scotland might as well be on the moon. I think it's the fact that they have to account for one day of travel at either end (travel = faff packing bags, getting to the station, changing trains, getting from the station, unpacking bags, having a cup of tea, etc.), so it almost seems like there are 2 days lost out of the long weekend, or whatever. Whereas if I were closer, there'd be no bags to pack, etc., it would just be a case of "Let's pop over for the afternoon and watch the game", or "Let's pop up to do some shopping".

Lichfield is conveniently at the end of the train line direct from them, so doesn't even involve a change of trains. Although it is a little suburban for me (living as I do in the semi-wildies), it is a decent compromise - and has potential for just opening the door and having a walk to the coffee shop. From a few visits, it also seems pretty "decent" (although the local MP, Michael Fabricant, is very odd!) Convenience is the watchword for me at the moment.

My current lifestyle involves putting the boots on every day, or getting the bike out, and going for a ride/walk, and it's that lifestyle that leads me to the Peaks. But in the end, life is also about what happens in between the daily walk/hike and now there's no job to keep me occupied, I don't fancy keeping the telly company all day.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • fatbeetle
    fatbeetle Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks for the nice comment Bugslet.
    Wow, how does that work for the dugs (they look like some sort of Border Terrier mix, right? Are they brother and sister?) Do they stop off on the way, or are they in the hold for the whole trip?

Two brothers, Fox Terrier x Jack Russell, a lethal mix, they are the biggest dogs in the world, (in their minds.)

They fly with Qantas, have a break in Dubai, and then onto Heathrow. My Mrs is dispatching them, I'll be there to receive them. They being deal with by Jetpets

http://www.jetpets.com.au/
    My rescue Labrador crossed the Atlantic with me three times and did amazingly well. The paperwork was a nightmare, though!

That's reassuring!
    “If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and who weren't so lazy.”
  • sukysue
    sukysue Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Been snowing here not horrendously but enough to block a couple of roads. If I had been in work I would have had to take 'snow clothes and emergency rations' I kid you not . I prob would have been stuck overnight and have to stay at the clients home till I could drive home. I am so relieved I don't have to worry about this sort of thing anymore. Instead we relaxed till 11 , walked up town came back nice cuppa and watching a bit of afternoon TV I am finishing the cards and sorting more pressies it is like a different life , well it is I suppose lol !
    xXx-Sukysue-xXx
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cute dogs Fat Beetle. Looked yesterday and there was no photo...... perhaps that's my slow internet? Any way they are here today.
    That will be a long old journey for them, and for you come to that!

Never made it Oz, NZ or Japan due to looong flights. Of course I could cruise there but my dogs would most certainly leave home if mum was away for ... 120 days! and no, much as I like cruising I would hate that length of time.

Anyway glad the retirement has started and you are planning the next step.

No snow here- yet. We had a couple of inches last week, don't really want more but I guess it will come.

I'm busy packing my doggy goody bags for the charity Dogs for Good (sewed the bags too) So far I have sold 15 of 22 L ones and 3 of 20 small ones. It's the small ones I am packing. Then I need to sew doggy duvets as supplies are low- if folk are buying I need to keep my outlets full! (also sold for DfG) 2 x 1/4s in washing machine this minute.

then I really really need to review the presents (which I have been buying all year) as there will still be time to buy the odd thing.
    Who knows when the cards will get written? Thank goodness for Jacquie Lawson cards.
    Take care everyone in the weather.....
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • bugslet
    Options
    I had three drivers sitting at Esbjerg port from 8 on Thursday morning till around 9 before getting on the boat, which had been delayed due to weather. Once on, they can't get off and instead of sailing at 20.30 thursday, they are sailing at 07.00 Saturday with an ETA of 02.00 at Immingham Sunday morning.

Oh the glamorous life of the European truck driver.

#notthinkingaboutmywagebill
  • joansgirl
    joansgirl Posts: 17,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    bugslet wrote: »
    I had three drivers sitting at Esbjerg port from 8 on Thursday morning till around 9 before getting on the boat, which had been delayed due to weather. Once on, they can't get off and instead of sailing at 20.30 thursday, they are sailing at 07.00 Saturday with an ETA of 02.00 at Immingham Sunday morning.

Oh the glamorous life of the European truck driver.

#notthinkingaboutmywagebill

bugslet, if you retired wouldn't you miss all this? Or would it be a blessed relief?

3 flakes of snow here today, there is a possibility of something more substantial on Monday afternoon. I went out for emergency supplies yesterday, but it was to B&Q for bits I need for my next project, forgot about any food I might need :rotfl:

I'm due to go shopping on Wednesday anyway so I'll just have to manage til then! I'm sure I'll survive :)

Have a great weekend all!
    floraison.gif
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...
  • sukysue
    sukysue Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You too Joansgirl have a great weekend everyone !
    xXx-Sukysue-xXx
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good Luck with the retirement and move back to the UK Fatbeetle- love the dogs.

With regards to discussion over the house moves, we'd love to be in the middle of nowhere but have also decided as we move into final planning- can retire in 10 paydays time (But that might mean cutting everything back too harshly)- that we live in an isolated bungalow on a hill in the centre of town, everything we need from GP to shops etc is in walking distance so we're going to invest some time and money in future proofing where we are.

So likely that I'll hang on in at work (I really do enjoy what I do but loathe the paperwork/ NHS chaos and endless, pointless directives we get given) for 3 more years or until the next proposed reorganisation due in 2019 when I may get a chance at redundancy which will more than cover the year 3 salary I'd like to earn.
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • bugslet
    Options
    joansgirl wrote: »
    bugslet, if you retired wouldn't you miss all this? Or would it be a blessed relief?

!

Yes and yes.:D. There's very few companies that do what we do, so I'm well established and we punch above our weight, so shallowly I take pleasure on being 'known'. But......
    crv1963 wrote: »

(But that might mean cutting everything back too harshly)- that we live in an isolated bungalow on a hill in the centre of town,

(I really do enjoy what I do but loathe the paperwork/ NHS chaos and endless, pointless directives we get given.

As with crv i enjoy what I do re the operations side but the regulations are increasing and most of my time is spent shuffling mostly meaningless bits of paper round. I'm a practical person at heart and the scales have tipped to being more fed up than not.

Crv yes an isolated house on a hill in the middle of town. Doh!. Why didn't I think of that:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure