Question on the Condensing function of my LPG boiler

Options
Hiya All,

I have a Baxi condenser boiler fitted into a property that we have been in for a few months. Have a big LPG tank in the garden and trying to get the place set up for heating without costing too much. Proving difficult, this damn stuff is expensive!!

Large detached property and the boiler is a Baxi Duo-tec 2 Combi 40 GA.

We are controlling the boiler with a Baxi 24 hour wireless digital programmer and room sensor.

I have read about the "condensing" function where if the returned CH temp is less than 55 degrees then the boiler will use the exhaust gasses to help re-heat the outgoing CH flow. Is this true?

And as I cant find a function for displaying the return temp, I have the outgoing set at 63 degrees (something I read googling about) How does this sound?

I know that every building and system is different and it is all about finding a balance.

How does one know when the boiler is functioning in condensing mode?

If I set the lower temp to something like 18 degrees there are long periods of time where the boiler sounds like it is on, but the Flame icon is not showing. Does this mean that it is just pumping water around without heating it as it does not need to?

And this should be a good thing?

Cheers

Comments

• Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If I set the lower temp to something like 18 degrees there are long periods of time where the boiler sounds like it is on, but the Flame icon is not showing. Does this mean that it is just pumping water around without heating it as it does not need to?
    It may be pumping water or may be the fan running. Mine shuts down completely while waiting for the temperature to drop.
  • diywhynot
    Options
    Have you tried contacting Baxi for appliance specific advice?
  • safara
    safara Posts: 74 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hmmm, OK. Will have a go at contacting Baxi then.

Do other condensing boilers not do this sort of thing?
  • gas4you
    gas4you Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    Options
    In a perfect world you should have a 20c temp differential between the flow and return temperatures.

Hardly any systems will ever achieve this though, more likely around 15c.

If you are warm enough with it set at 63c, then leave it there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure