Warning - Do not switch to EE Broadband

Options
Warning to all users not to make the mistake and switch to EE Broadband.

They repeatedly sent my router to the wrong address, despite calling up 3 times to correct the mistake they had made. So I had no internet for the first month of paying for it.

It emerged that this was also the 'cooling off period' so in effect I was then locked into a 12 month contract despite not having had any internet access with them since ordering.

Their customer communication process is completely broken. Despite saying you have access to technical support you will find you have no direct access to an actual engineer or anyone not simply following a script.

The script is basically 'Have you plugged your router into the wall'. Once you have established that you are not mentally !!!!!! their 'Level 2' support may or may not call you back and keep you waiting weeks to send engineers out from BT who confirm everything is actually fine with the line.

You will also find that they run a 'back office' complaints department. Which basically means you are not even able to discuss the complaint with anyone directly. Again you have to wait for them to call you back. So if you happen to have a job you may find them conveniently calling you back in the middle of meeting.

Add to all this the fact that they have outsourced almost everything to some contractor working our of India and using extremely poor VOIP phone systems and you can barely hear anything the engineers are saying.

I thought I was paying more than I needed when I was with TalkTalk but the £6 more per month now feels like a cost I would dearly love to pay if it would actually provide me with working internet.

I only raise this as an issue as there was no way that they provided me to voice my complaint and have so far given me 2 months of no internet and constantly chasing them to find out what they are actually doing to fix it.

No communication with customers or internally.

MSE were providing £100 Amazon vouchers for switching to EE. I would sugggest that MSE seriously consider re-thinking the decision to promote this service as it reflects badly on MSE and will make me think twice before bothering to follow any advice to switch providers for anything.

If it is working at the moment (banks, internet, phones etc) and you are not paying substantially more for it then I would question the benefit of switching at all. Unless of course you enjoy endlessly calling up your new service provider and spending your life on a loop of increasingly frustrating and pointless conversations with hapless contracted employees.

Doubtless some people of here will have had no problem at all with EE Broadband and have received their Amazon Vouchers and are now reading a nice e-book from Amazon over their superfast EE Broadband access. Well done to them. For the rest of us we are regretting the day we decided to bother changing at all.

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There is probably no provider which has not had someone with problems, so your personal experience does not justify telling people to avoid EE.
  • UncleWiffle
    Options
    I think you will find the vast majority of comment in this forum is based on personal experience. From what I gather this isn't a forum populated entirely by Broadband industry professionals.

With that in mind are you suggesting that until I have tried all broadband suppliers in the UK and experienced the service from each I can't comment on my experiences between using TalkTalk and EE Broadband?

If I was researching which broadband supplier to use and I came across multiple bad stories about a particular supplier it might help in my decision making process but it is still up to that individual to decide.

If no one shares their experiences then no one will ever know and have anything to base their decision on other than the price and maybe the offer of a voucher to spend at Amazon.

Perhaps you could explain your experiences with EE or maybe suggest which supplier has been good for you? Instead of just telling me to not say anything.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It is fine to share your experience , but my comment was about advising people on what to do, just based on your problems.

If we are to be advised to avoid companies based on one dissatisfied customer, we would have none left to deal with, as all will have caused bad experience for someone.
  • UncleWiffle
    Options
    As I already said it is still up to that individual to decide who they want to get their broadband from. We are all capable of making a logical decision ourselves, regardless of what someone else says.

I really don't understand why you are saying that I can't warn others based on my bad experiences?

By that measure there should be no Theatre or Film critics writing reviews in newspapers?

Tripadvisor would only be full of positive reviews of hotels and everyone would turn up on holiday and only then discover that the hotel wasn't built or the pool was actually a concrete pit.

Having done some further research on the topic it would appear I am not alone in this experience so perhaps you want to go and tell them to not warn others as well?
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    True the vast majority is based on personal opinion but as those with a negative opinion are the ones that bother to post it does not tell the whole story .But as the OP gives concise details of the problems it a far more usefull post than many .
  • phona
    phona Posts: 249 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My experience with EE home broadband was ok, not the best but nothing like the OP describes. I agree that it's worth sharing stories about companies so people can make informed decisions, so I'll stick mine in this thread.

Setting up all went well for me and I was connected pretty quick - there was a delay because I needed someone from BT to come out.
    Within the 12-month term I moved so I called them and had a bit of a communications issue with the advisor, but nothing major. It was a little over 2 months before I had a working connection at my new address and, naturally, they kept billing me for the privilege. Once it was working I called them up and they credited my account for the time I had no service. OP, you should jump up and down and they should do the same for you. On the plus side, they didn't lock me into another 12 months when I moved.

A few months ago I left EE for a cheaper deal. And once again EE kept billing me! I emailed them this time (there's a form on their website, it's easier than calling) and they arranged a refund.

So that sums up my dealings with EE. As I said, not amazing but not terrible either. I'd probably use them again; all communications companies are as bad as each other really.

OP, keep complaining at them and try the email form. I hope you get online soon.
  • ILikeToSave
    ILikeToSave Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Phona, can you tell me the http address that this EE form is on. I've been searching for some way to contact them other than phoning. When I telephone them I get nothing but bland re-assurances that turn out to be lies.
    I too an waiting for my wi-fi router. They promised it would be sent last Monday but still not arrived. They today promised it would be sent today but I don't believe them. I too am paying for a service I can't use. It's not just the money, it's the sheer inconvenience of not being able to get on the internet at home. I am sending this request at a friend's house but you can't go round every time you want to send an email, can you?
  • phona
    phona Posts: 249 Forumite
    edited 20 July 2014 at 10:23PM
    Options
    Hi Phona, can you tell me the http address that this EE form is on. I've been searching for some way to contact them other than phoning. When I telephone them I get nothing but bland re-assurances that turn out to be lies.
    I too an waiting for my wi-fi router. They promised it would be sent last Monday but still not arrived. They today promised it would be sent today but I don't believe them. I too am paying for a service I can't use. It's not just the money, it's the sheer inconvenience of not being able to get on the internet at home. I am sending this request at a friend's house but you can't go round every time you want to send an email, can you?

They don't make it easy to find, but here it is: https://explore.ee.co.uk/broadband/email-us
    The fact they offer this for home broadband and not for mobile customers suggests it's some obligation but they don't really want us to use it. Anyway, they tend to reply and/or call back.

You can get to it from the EE homepage via the "Contact Us" link (there's one at the top and one at the bottom). Skipping over the 1, 2, 3 steps, choose "Get in touch - call or visit us in store", then "Write to us" and there it is... easy as that!

Can you use the internet at work? That's what I did. And if your phone/contract supports tethering that's another choice. There's even public libraries; they're slow but they'll do!

ETA: You might want to look into their complaints procedure: http://ee.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/my-digital-life/complaints-code-of-practice
    You'll need to contact them as above in the first instance but if they don't put it right you might want to take it further.
  • 4743hudsonj
    4743hudsonj Posts: 3,298 Forumite
    Options
    I just signed up to EE fibre as it was a good deal (sweetened by £130 cashback via quidco) and so far I'm impressed. Average speeds slightly higher than sky fibre despite the same quoted maximum.

Probably down to the 801.11ac bright box router vs my old Belkin 801.11n router (not a ISP provided one). Range is quite a bit weaker as it doesn't penetrate to the third floor but a simple wall plug and using my old Belkin as a range extender on the 3rd floor and im sorted.

As others have said, your one bad experience does not mean we should all stop using them. There would be nowhere to shop if we followed logic like this!
    Back by no demand whatsoever.
  • dadofrandj
    Options
    I signed up on Thursday for this deal but am beginning to wonder if I've done the right thing!

I am determined to move from TalkTalk as their customer service has been appalling, but EE haven't been any better.

So far, I've had two order numbers and had to go through the order twice (once online and once over the 'phone). They then sent me a text asking me to call again, but they weren't open.

I called today to be told that their is a block on my line stopping them from taking it over. According to TalkTalk there isn't. EE won't accept this and keep asking me to speak to TalkTalk. TalkTalk say that they aren't blocking (or tagging) the line and it's ready to be taken over.

Five 'phone calls and over an hour wasted this morning (then I thought I ought to do some actual work!).

Have made a complaint via EE's website (that in itself wasn't an easy thing to do!), but in the meantime, I suspect I'm going to be left with no provider at all as TalkTalk are expecting to stop providing my service on 1 August.

Why is this sort of thing so complicated?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure