Claiming against Norwegian Airlines

Options
Thought I would document the progress of my claim as I can't see anything specific to Norwegian on here.

So we were 7.5 hours delayed due to a member of ground staff being ill. To date, long story short, they've tried to fob us off claiming exceptional circumstances and citing a case about a damaged engine, totally irrelevant!

I refused their offer of reimbursing our expenses of £60, found a case that went against the airline that has the exact same circumstance as ours, and have issued a Notice before action today.

Planning on taking this all the way myself as the NWNF solicitors would be taking pretty much half of the compensation.

Any advise welcome, especially regarding the small claims court, as it's going to have to be European Small Claims Procedure I think, can't see a UK address anywhere for them.

As recommended in Vaubans guide, I have given them 14 days to respond, so have a couple of weeks to do my research for the next phase. :) Thanks to those who have helped on here to date.

Comments

• JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You need to read the Ryanair for details about ESCP, specifically notes by the good Dr Watson
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • jamski07
    jamski07 Posts: 88 Forumite
    Options
    Hello again.

So I have read all the guides suggested, they are very good, but I am at the point now of having to decide to take this on myself or go NWNF. I have issued the Action Before Notice, and heard nothing back in over two weeks.

My confusion comes with this being a non-UK company. I have the forms to fill in, but I spoke to a court today and they said they I pay the £70 fee, send the, the forms, they check, seal everything up and then send it back to me to send on to a court in Norway?!

I also asked about being charged a fee should I lose, and they said this was a possibility. As this is all done in Norway, without me there, I'm starting to be reluctant to take this on and I'll go with NWNF.

Has anyone on here actually been through the European Small Claims process? Thanks.
  • Coley25
    Options
    Hi I made a claim against norwegien and was turned down so with nothing to lose I went with bott & co, within 3 weeks I had £200 in my account, if Norwegien had agreed my claim I would have had £317.
    Some was better than none!
  • jamski07
    jamski07 Posts: 88 Forumite
    Options
    Coley25 wrote: »
    Hi I made a claim against norwegien and was turned down so with nothing to lose I went with bott & co, within 3 weeks I had £200 in my account, if Norwegien had agreed my claim I would have had £317.
    Some was better than none!

Thanks. There's 4 of us claiming so we stand to lose £367 and get back £527 if my calculations are correct. Bearing in mind if we do it ourselves there is a £70 court fee, plus my time, plus sending documents to various places, so we're probably talking the best part of £100. It's probably worth the £270 odd difference to have the hassle taken away.
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Court costs are recoverable plus IF it goes to Court you can request both attendance and interest (from date of delay) costs.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,120 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Like the poster above, I ended up going with Bott & Co and had the cash within 3 weeks or so.

This was after 11 months of trying to get somewhere with Norwegian. Every email took about 8 weeks to get a reply from, then through Resolver, and in the end them completely ignoring me.

I did begrudge a little bit the % that the NWNF take. But when it came down to it, I couldn't be bothered with the European Small Claims procedure. I was confident I'd win, but its the enforcement bit that concerned me. So in the end it's fair enough, Bott & Co did their work.

Let us know how you get on though... I'd be interested to hear how it works out.
  • Froggitt
    Froggitt Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    Options
    I claimed against Norwegian on behalf of my mum. It was a clear technical issue that they should pay €250 but of course they rejected it.

I went to the CAA http://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/Resolving-travel-problems/ who told Norwegian to pay up.

After rattling Norwegian again with the CAA letter, they agreed to pay up.

I suspect they always do a blanket rejection, hoping half the people will give up at that stage.
    illegitimi non carborundum
  • MattGb
    MattGb Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    Same as Froggitt. Always hit up the CAA
    :j:j:j:j
  • Froggitt
    Froggitt Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    Options
    Froggitt wrote: »
    I claimed against Norwegian on behalf of my mum. It was a clear technical issue that they should pay €250 but of course they rejected it.

I went to the CAA http://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/Resolving-travel-problems/ who told Norwegian to pay up.

After rattling Norwegian again with the CAA letter, they agreed to pay up.

I suspect they always do a blanket rejection, hoping half the people will give up at that stage.

My nieces were delayed for seven hours on the same route as my mum at the weekend. I wrote on the Norwegian Claim Form page "Please dont waste my time and your money by rejecting this clearly valid claim, as I will go straight to the CAA, they will find in my favour, and you will be an additional £150 poorer as a result"
    illegitimi non carborundum
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why would Norwegian be £150 poorer if you went to CAA?
    Do you mean small claims court?
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills