Which mattress? (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Options
    LostSocks wrote: »
    The mattress does have a satisfaction guarantee which is a 14 night one, which will be Tuesday as we received a damaged one (courier damaged it) and then received one the next day but had to wait till the day after to put in on the bed.

So now you have said it's takes longer than that to get used to it, I'm not sure what to do. Our old bed was a coil one and was originally very firm, but was at the end of it's life (10 years!) and was slightly softer, but still firm. This new mattress was described as medium, but to me I would say it's soft. I tend to sleep on my side and I'm finding the hip I sleep on is really aching on waking up.

Thanks for the advice, I'll have to make a decision tomorrow. If by a miracle i wake up tomorrow with no backache, then it will be staying.

Do you have a link to the mattress on line?
  • delderek
    delderek Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Having trawled through this thread I am hoping that someone can answer a relatively simple question for me as I have decided on a pocket sprung matress (although I am not sure about the memory foam - 75/25 in favour at the moment). I have viewed quite a lot of threads advising which companies to stay away from - Silentnight, Sealy and Rest Assured - the latter one coming highly recommended to me by today's salesman - "the best about" he reckoned - not according to this thread!!.

Can someone give me the names of a few companies - i.e the best ones - who's products have been proven to last the 7 - 10 years that a consumer should reasonably expect?

Having spent the 2 weeks being fed apparent nonsense from various sales staff, a bit of good old fashioned honesty would be appreciated!!!

Thanks in anticipation

Derek
  • TiTheRev
    TiTheRev Posts: 3,215 Forumite
    Options
    From personal experience, and the advice of a good friend in the trade, Staples (part of the Myers group) are well made and the seller has owned the same as I bought for 12years and it's still great.

Unfortunately no-one is infallible, and I have seen plenty of reviews and recommendations of brands that people are happy with but in the next review are slated because the one they bought hasn't lasted 2years. I would personally recommend trying before you buy, make sure you like the firmness and comfort and avoid the 'obvious' poor quality companies.

Staples/Myers, Harrison (debatable!), Restus and Relyon have all been recommended here...
    :A Luke 6:38 :A
    The above post is either from personal experience or is my opinion based on the person God has made me and the way I understand things. Please don't be offended if that opinion differs from yours, but feel free to click the 'Thanks' button if it's at all helpful!
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    Although there are a few brand names who still produce good quality products, due to cost cutting and automation they are getting few and far between. You are more likely to get better quality and value for your money from independent manufacturers. They still use traditional methods to hand make mattresses using skilled craftsmen, so they can take more care and pride in the job. As a smaller company they also have more to prove. On average you can pay up to 30% more for a brand name product over the equivalent from an independent manufacturer (just because you are paying for the name).
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    dog_food wrote: »
    I've been following this thread for a long time! Thank you to everyone, especially Tim, for the valuable information here.

I am sick of my dreadful ikea matress and I a looking for the most comfortable bed possible for my buget (upto £500-king size). These are my questions:

1. I get hot in bed so I will steer clear of all memory foam, but should I go for the pocket spring/memory foam option? Or would you advise me to steer clear of any matress with memory foam? I don't want to make a dreadful mistake in my choice!

I personally find that I get no warmer with my pocket sprung/memory foam mattress than I used to with my old open coil sprung mattress. Just make sure that the memory foam is 2" deep (no more and no less), and that the mattress is a combination of springs and memory foam so that the air can circulate. Try to stay away from the pocket sprung/memory foam mattresses that are the reflex foam encapsulated type (if in doubt as me).
    2. I currently have a cheap slatted bed, would a sprung divan offer added comfort or is it really not that different?

It does make a difference, but comfort is a matter of personal taste, so it depende on how firm you like your bed. If you are going for pocket sprung only, then a divan base would be more suitable.
    3. If a sprung divan does make alot of difference, how much would you suggest I need to spend to get a divan and mattress of reasonable quality...I don't want to end up in the same position I am now with this uncomfortable ikea mattress.

That's a very open question that depends on many variables:

How firm do you like your bed?
    What is your budget?
    What size of bed do you want?
    What storage options do you want?
    Thanks for your help

James
  • TiTheRev
    Options
    Tim_Deegan wrote: »
    Although there are a few brand names who still produce good quality products, due to cost cutting and automation they are getting few and far between. You are more likely to get better quality and value for your money from independent manufacturers. They still use traditional methods to hand make mattresses using skilled craftsmen, so they can take more care and pride in the job. As a smaller company they also have more to prove. On average you can pay up to 30% more for a brand name product over the equivalent from an independent manufacturer (just because you are paying for the name).
    I'd second that.

My Staples mattress was hand made to order from a local independant, and you get a far better service and quality that way.
    The above post is either from personal experience or is my opinion based on the person God has made me and the way I understand things. Please don't be offended if that opinion differs from yours, but feel free to click the 'Thanks' button if it's at all helpful!
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    TiTheRev wrote: »
    I'd second that.

My Staples mattress was hand made to order from a local independant, and you get a far better service and quality that way.

I mean independent manufacturer, not retailer. In general independent retailers are better than the big chains, but they stll often use gimmicks and hype. You were lucky because the salesman was a friend.
  • TiTheRev
    Options
    Fair point.
  • LostSocks
    LostSocks Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    Tim_Deegan wrote: »
    Do you have a link to the mattress on line?

It's a breasley 700 flexcell (http://www.memory-mattress.co.uk/about_memory_mattress.html - the 7cm version).

My backache isn't quite as bad today, but still undecided as to what to do.
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    LostSocks wrote: »
    It's a breasley 700 flexcell (http://www.memory-mattress.co.uk/about_memory_mattress.html - the 7cm version).

My backache isn't quite as bad today, but still undecided as to what to do.

There have been a few mixed reviews about that brand on MSE although it is quite a well known brand.

The memory foam at 7cm is a little too deep, but that wouldn't cause back ache, it would be more likely to either make you too hot, or stop you changing position in bed.

Make sure you have made a final decision by the last day of the satisfaction guarantee. Hopefully your back is now getting used to it, and you will find it comfortable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure