New Lloyds Vantage current account

Options

Comments

• plunt
    plunt Posts: 525 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    went into a branch just under a year ago and they kept opening them up till i got rejected (at 6 i told them to stop as i didnt want to risk getting rejected!)

been happy ever since. A month or two afterwards they changed the conditions to say only 2 per a customer.
  • Gromitt
    Gromitt Posts: 5,063 Forumite
    Options
    I understand having a Vantage account for the interest and keeping 3 - 4K in there, but 3 of them? I really don't see the point.

So 15K @ 3% would be £450/year gross.
    But in a 3.2% savings account with no 1K transfer each month, you'd get £480/year gross.

That's £360 / £384 net basic tax. Sure, thats only £24/year, but this is a money savings site! You'd be getting more money for doing less!
  • MoneySaverLog
    MoneySaverLog Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    Options
    Gromitt wrote: »
    I understand having a Vantage account for the interest and keeping 3 - 4K in there, but 3 of them? I really don't see the point.

But in a 3.2% savings account with no 1K transfer each month, you'd get £480/year gross.

That's £360 / £384 net basic tax. Sure, thats only £24/year, but this is a money savings site! You'd be getting more money for doing less!

It has full current account facilities though and could be used to drip feed a higher paying regular savings account.
  • exel1966
    exel1966 Posts: 4,978 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Vantage used to pay 4.00% AER up to £7K so at the time was an extremely good account to use. Rates have since dropped meaning it's not such a good account, but it's still very reasonable.

I still keep my 7 accounts running in the vein hope that the account will once again be at the top of the charts.
  • savetilibleed
    Options

I keep my three 'full' using only one of them as my regular current account for DDs etc.

If, when a fixed interest account is coming to maturity somewhere, and maybe three weeks before I see a good replacement for it, I sometimes use the money in these Vantage accounts for the new offering, plus a bit from somewhere else. Then top the Vantage accounts back up once the old fixed rate funds, having matured, become available.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

My wife and I have a total of 8 Vantage accounts. Where are you getting 3.2% on instant access?
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • MoneySaverLog
    MoneySaverLog Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    Options
    There were a few instant access accounts a while back that were paying 3.2% but not anymore. The AA was one.
  • Gromitt
    Options
    missile wrote: »
    My wife and I have a total of 8 Vantage accounts. Where are you getting 3.2% on instant access?

As stated, they don't exist any more, but I think 5K instant access is sufficient, and now keep the other in a PO Savings account @ 3.2%, some in ISAs at various rates upto @ 4.25% and other savings accounts. Getting any money over 5K by the next working day is enough for me.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 27 August 2012 at 10:30PM
    Options
    As stated, they don't exist any more, but I think 5K instant access is sufficient, and now keep the other in a PO Savings account @ 3.2%, some in ISAs at various rates upto @ 4.25% and other savings accounts. Getting any money over 5K by the next working day is enough for me.

PO online saver account is currently paying 3.01% including the 12 month bonus. Please note this is a variable interest account and rate may drop further. I don't feel it is worth the hassle for +0.01% and I do not feel comfortable saving with the Bank of Ireland.

I also have maxed out our ISA allowances and we have fixed rate bonds paying up to 4.8% :j
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Gromitt
    Options
    Issue 5 is still 3.17% AER, it's the Issue 6 thats plummeted (down to 3.01%)

But yes, like I said earlier, the difference is only marginal, and if you don't like BOI, then Vantage is good alternative if you don't mind the transfers each month.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure