Travel credit cards

Options

Comments

• Wanderlustg
    Options
    I applied for a Starling Bank account back in August.
    The card arrived in three days and the setup and online transfer from an existing current was easy. I used it for three weeks in South Africa and it worked fine with no charges, however you should be aware that not all foreign banks are equal and some will charge and some will not, and different banks have different daily limits. The ATM will warn you if it's going to charge, so if it does decline and move on to the next banks ATM.
    For South Africa
    NED is free with a 5000 ZAR daily limit.
    FNB is free with a 3000 ZAR daily limit.
    ABSA wanted to charge a fee
    Standard want to charge a fee
    Bidvest want to charge a fee
  • dgordon
    Options
    Hi, have MSE or anyone else looked into the Easy FX One Card multi currency travel card and used it in Europe and overseas (local currency atm withdrawal from one of the supported multi currency's).
    Sorry - not allowed to give link to easyfx site

I have just received my card, but will not be using it before End of December in India.

Looks like a good for charge free ATM and vendor payments.
    Thanks.
  • Shugg_McGlummfer
    Options
    Just applied for a Barclaycard Platinum Travel Credit Card and got declined, despite the fact that I have a very high 900 credit rating, never failed a payment on anything, been at the same address for 24 years and so on. What else do they want? Bells?
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    Just applied for a Barclaycard Platinum Travel Credit Card and got declined, despite the fact that I have a very high 900 credit rating, never failed a payment on anything, been at the same address for 24 years and so on. What else do they want? Bells?

You should apply for plastic with the firm that scores you as a dead high 900.

They obviously think you're a good risk.
  • Shugg_McGlummfer
    Options
    It's the credit eating agencies that score me 900, so goodness knows why Barclaycard think different.
  • Peterem
    Options
    Just back from Majorca today after getting a Barclaycard Platinum Travel Card, for the reasons frequently set out above and on the main MSE site. Came across much the same foreign bank fees as everyone else, but the card itself worked fine - until yesterday, when every bank I tried in Palma rejected it. No reason given, just advice to contact my bank. So I rang Barclaycard, and they told me there is a 600 Euro limit for anyone using the card to take out cash - and I had used it up. Did anyone already know this? It's not mentioned on Martin's site, and Barclaycard say nothing about it in their sales pitch MSE links to. I could (and have since) kept using the card to buy stuff; but restricting you to three visits to the cashpoint fatally undermines its value as a travel cash card - at least to me. Next holiday I'll be looking elswhere
  • AlwaysHere
    Options
    Peterem wrote: »
    Just back from Majorca today after getting a Barclaycard Platinum Travel Card, for the reasons frequently set out above and on the main MSE site. Came across much the same foreign bank fees as everyone else, but the card itself worked fine - until yesterday, when every bank I tried in Palma rejected it. No reason given, just advice to contact my bank. So I rang Barclaycard, and they told me there is a 600 Euro limit for anyone using the card to take out cash - and I had used it up. Did anyone already know this? It's not mentioned on Martin's site, and Barclaycard say nothing about it in their sales pitch MSE links to. I could (and have since) kept using the card to buy stuff; but restricting you to three visits to the cashpoint fatally undermines its value as a travel cash card - at least to me. Next holiday I'll be looking elswhere

Yes, it is clearly stated on the blurb you receive with the card.

The cash limit is a percentage of the credit limit. Perhaps 30%. So if you have a £2000 credit limit, the amount allotted for ATM withdrawals will be £600.

£5000 credit limit, £1500 of that can be cash withdrawals, etc
  • Peterem
    Options
    Still information I'd have appreciated knowing before actually applying for one - perhaps by consulting a consumer comparison site like MSE! Still, my fault for not noticing - and not doing the necessary sums before a last day trip with my UK cards and cash sleeping soundly alongside my passport in the hotel room safe 30 miles away.
  • Tharweb
    Tharweb Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AlwaysHere wrote: »
    Yes, it is clearly stated on the blurb you receive with the card.

The cash limit is a percentage of the credit limit. Perhaps 30%. So if you have a £2000 credit limit, the amount allotted for ATM withdrawals will be £600.

£5000 credit limit, £1500 of that can be cash withdrawals, etc

I'm just back from Portugal. I drew in excess of €600, so the cash limit must definitely be related to the credit limit, £6500 in my case. Can't see me needing that much cash on holiday, but, thanks for the heads up.
    This site has saved me a fortune :money: ...it's also cost me a fortune! :doh:
    © Tharweb 2006 :D
  • Shugg_McGlummfer
    Options
    Get's better, Barclaycard finally accepted me, then gave me a credit limit of £260! Yes, really, despite perfect credit rating and annual earnings >£50K. Pathetic, cancelled. They can go and raffle.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback