Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights

Options

Comments

• N4t4lie
    N4t4lie Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    GGardner wrote: »
    Following - this is my exact situation too. I've raised another complaint to PayPal as I can't raise a dispute, but they haven't responded yet. I'm going to try calling tomorrow.

Keep at them, stay calm, never get angry and stick to the facts (and yes this is not easy), make sure you keep notes of all calls and make sure at the end of the call you end with the operator agreeing to your summary of it especially if this contains a time scale for when they will get back to you and how. If at the end you have not got a result that you feel is fair then having records of all correspondence can help you put your case to the Financial Ombudsmen.

And this update from MSE:

"Booked via PayPal? File a protection claim. If your flight is not covered by ATOL protection, you can file a PayPal buyer protection claim using this link.

Some Monarch customers have found they're unable to make a claim through Paypal because the deadline for its protection has passed - normally you can only claim within 180 days of purchase.

Paypal's since told us it's waiving that deadline for some as a "goodwill gesture", but if you still have problems you could try chargeback. Several banks have told us they are accepting chargeback claims from PayPal customers, as long as you purchased the flight less than 540 days ago."

Sadly you are in the lovely trap of dealing with a set of computer forms and as we know nothing substitutes being able to talk to a human being when something isn't quite right. I'm sure once you can that the experience with Paypal should improve, hang in there and keep us posted.
  • Sindy
    Sindy Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I raised a dispute on 2nd Oct with Halifax for paying for 2 flights over £100 on my credit card. They just asked me to send them the email confirmation from Monarch.

I'm pleased to say that I have now received a refund for the full amount.

:)
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sindy wrote: »
    I raised a dispute on 2nd Oct with Halifax for paying for 2 flights over £100 on my credit card. They just asked me to send them the email confirmation from Monarch.

I'm pleased to say that I have now received a refund for the full amount.

:)

They have refunded you already?!?!

Blimey. Im not expecting any resolution for a few weeks on mine!
  • Sindy
    Sindy Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    They have refunded you already?!?!

Blimey. Im not expecting any resolution for a few weeks on mine!

I was surprised too! I was told I'd be contacted within 7 - 10 days.
    I was just checking my bank account and saw I had a credit :)

Excellent service!
  • bradders1983
    Options
    Sindy wrote: »
    I was surprised too! I was told I'd be contacted within 7 - 10 days.
    I was just checking my bank account and saw I had a credit :)

Excellent service!

Well on the 2nd you probably got in early plus this is a cut and dried case, it's hardly a local retailer who has gone bust. Hopefully mine will be done before the end of the month.
  • trevdavey
    Options
    Is anyone else having problems with getting through to paypal to request a monarch airlines refund. Cant seem to register a querie as it says I already have one open, but when I try to open it says I haven't got any registered. Soooo frustrating. I need to speak to a real person but phone helpline is automated and cant get any sense to my querie.:mad:
  • MisterP123
    MisterP123 Posts: 229 Forumite
    Options
    Update on Lastminute.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I managed to book replacement flights early last Monday after being unsuccessful getting through to lastminute. Finally spoke to them and told them about my alternative flights and was told that they would make a note on my booking and somebody would be in touch to offer a solution.

Email this morning to say they can not offer a solution and package holiday has been cancelled and a full refund will be issued. Thanks for the solution lastminute! So I now have flights but no hotel. Can't book the hotel separately now as there are no rooms available. I've emailed them direct to see if I can book my original reservation direct but got the feeling this isn't going to be successful. In the meantime I'm left looking for alternative accommodation, which isn't going well seeing as I'm due to fly a week tomorrow (the 17th,) it's half term and there's hardly any rooms left anywhere.
  • steve_B
    Options
    Hi
    I was abroad when it happened and came back on the replacement flight without any issues. My question is can I claim back from my credit card company the extras I paid for like extra legroom seats?

thanks
  • bradders1983
    Options
    steve_B wrote: »
    Hi
    I was abroad when it happened and came back on the replacement flight without any issues. My question is can I claim back from my credit card company the extras I paid for like extra legroom seats?

thanks

Well I have, gone in as part of the S75 claim along with the rest of it. However I can prove I never got the extra legroom seats though as no flight operated. Keep all your boarding cards etc as you will may be asked to prove you never got this service.
  • noelphobic
    noelphobic Posts: 2,297 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I phoned M and S to make a chàrgeback claim and they've sent me a form to fill in. It says I have to contact or attempt to contact Monarch first and provide evidence of this. How àre people doing this?
    3 stone down, 3 more to go
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport