Yodel - shockingly bad - email address anyone?

Options

Comments

• Delivery_Driver
    Options
    lexuslass wrote: »
    I ordered 3 items from very.co.uk yesterday - all due today.

Had email last night saying parcel was due today and if not convenient then rearrange by replying to this email.... which I didn't need to do as I was going to be in today.

Delivery arrived this morning at 10.45am... opened the parcel and two out of the three items were in there.

Went onto the very website to track the missing item... yes, it is in a separate parcel.

Items I received today were loaded onto the van at 6.46am.
    Missing item was loaded onto van at 8.33am at the same depot. We live in a village quite a way away from the depot so surely they wouldn't have two different vans covering the same area?

I have just rang Yodel ... well, I may as well have asked next doors cat!

EDIT: had to go out for school run before I had chance to ring very. My second parcel turned up at 3.25pm while I was out!! how on earth is it good business sense for these companies to put items on two separate vans on the same day? :(

All items that have today's EDD(expected due date)will be on a report in the morning.When the driver comes to book out, it will be noted that he is missing 1 of your parcels.
    This is most likely due to the parcel being missorted to the wrong route during the night either due to human error or miscoding.
    So, your parcel ends up in the middle of anothers drivers parcels and the driver who should have it has no idea where it is.Having already sorted through 150-300 parcels picking out all the other EDD's(it takes ages) he will know if its there or not, plus drivers get paid per item so if you should have 3 parcels then there's that extra incentive to find it.
    The choice for management is to try and force the driver to wait until it turns up and pay the driver unproductive time, risk him missing timed delivery slots due to getting out late and ultimately not promoting a good manager-worker relationship or to let one of spare drivers deliver yours and other parcels like it later in the day.

Not particularly efficient but is at least attempting to fulfill the expected delivery date of the parcel which at depot level is what they are monitored on.
  • lexuslass
    lexuslass Posts: 2,283 Forumite
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    well lets look at it this way
    you have early/time sensitive items/collections
    so you need a van on the road by X time
    so that van leaves and another van mops up whats left
    having everything sorted and loaded for the day by 0646 would be good going
    dont you think?

you got your items delivered today as ordered
    still not good enough?

no, actually, it's not good enough... I have used Very for years and could always rely on my HDNL driver being here between 10.30am and 11am.

Parcel one - was received at the Lichfield Yodel depot at 4am today - loaded onto van at 6.46am. I received this at 10.45am.

Parcel two - was received at the Lichfield Yodel depot at 3.48am today - loaded onto van at 8.33am. this was delivered at 3.25pm (when I wasn't in and was doing the school run like quite a high percentage of the population!!).

so the parcel that was checked in earlier arrived last!

I can fully appreciate it may have slipped into a different pile or something... but what has peeved me is the only email notification and tracking number that I received from them was for the first parcel, so why didn't I get a second email with a second tracking number for the other parcel????

These aren't big hefty items - a couple of pairs of boots and a coat but they need to be signed for.

Very charge a considerable amount for delivery of their parcels - I have never ordered a takeaway and received the starters an hour or so after the mains!!!! I guess you think this would be acceptable too??????

Doc_N wrote: »
    Too easy an excuse for them. This happens time and time again in our area too, and it's obvious from the tracking times that this isn't the answer. They just seem to be so badly organised, and care so little about customer service, that they just dump the stuff wherever it suits them to.

Items delivered as ordered not good enough? Well, no, actually. Because if the stuff doesn't all arrive on one van you then have to wait in for the second van - people haven't got the time to wait around all day for deliveries.

I spoke to the company that sent my goods yesterday. They said they'd had so many complaints about Yodel that they're considering ditching them, and they've marked my account that another carrier should be used in future.

Other discontents should consider doing the same. It may hurt Yodel where it needs to - in the pocket. It's the only thing that will make them improve. Or go bust.

I am in the process of drafting an email to complain to very - if they don't know about these mess ups, they have no power to rectify! The guy I spoke to on the phone at Yodel today was unbelievably unhelpful... couldn't tell me anything as I had no tracking number - of course I hadn't got one, they'd only sent me the tracking details for the first parcel!!

I had no idea that Yodel were doing very deliveries nowadays. If an item didn't need to be signed for, HDNL would 'hide' my parcels.. under a doormat or in a log basket outside the front of our house.... I came back on Monday after a few hours out to find a package left in full view right in front of the door - visable to anyone walking past!!
  • lexuslass
    Options
    All items that have today's EDD(expected due date)will be on a report in the morning.When the driver comes to book out, it will be noted that he is missing 1 of your parcels.
    This is most likely due to the parcel being missorted to the wrong route during the night either due to human error or miscoding.
    So, your parcel ends up in the middle of anothers drivers parcels and the driver who should have it has no idea where it is.Having already sorted through 150-300 parcels picking out all the other EDD's(it takes ages) he will know if its there or not, plus drivers get paid per item so if you should have 3 parcels then there's that extra incentive to find it.
    The choice for management is to try and force the driver to wait until it turns up and pay the driver unproductive time, risk him missing timed delivery slots due to getting out late and ultimately not promoting a good manager-worker relationship or to let one of spare drivers deliver yours and other parcels like it later in the day.

Not particularly efficient but is at least attempting to fulfill the expected delivery date of the parcel which at depot level is what they are monitored on.

thanks, I can fully appreciate human error etc and the fact that the second parcel had been attempted to arrive on it's due date..

But.... I was expecting them to all be in one parcel (which I know is not Yodels fault) - it was only when I received the parcel this morning and noticed a missing item that I felt the need to log onto my very account and check things.

I just don't get why I wasn't sent another email with tracking for the second parcel and the guy I spoke to was pretty clueless what to say to me - that was quite frustrating!! :(
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    no, actually, it's not good enough... I have used Very for years and could always rely on my HDNL driver being here between 10.30am and 11am.

Parcel one - was received at the Lichfield Yodel depot at 4am today - loaded onto van at 6.46am. I received this at 10.45am.

Parcel two - was received at the Lichfield Yodel depot at 3.48am today - loaded onto van at 8.33am. this was delivered at 3.25pm (when I wasn't in and was doing the school run like quite a high percentage of the population!!).

so the parcel that was checked in earlier arrived last!

I can fully appreciate it may have slipped into a different pile or something... but what has peeved me is the only email notification and tracking number that I received from them was for the first parcel, so why didn't I get a second email with a second tracking number for the other parcel????

These aren't big hefty items - a couple of pairs of boots and a coat but they need to be signed for.

Very charge a considerable amount for delivery of their parcels - I have never ordered a takeaway and received the starters an hour or so after the mains!!!! I guess you think this would be acceptable too??????

you know one of these "?" is sufficient?

Very charge £3.95 for postage (or free Collect+)
    you deem that a considerable amount?
    the time a package tracks into an office means nothing if they havent sorted through the entire feed.
    Very will be the ones providing your emails
  • Delivery_Driver
    Options
    thanks, I can fully appreciate human error etc and the fact that the second parcel had been attempted to arrive on it's due date..

But.... I was expecting them to all be in one parcel (which I know is not Yodels fault) - it was only when I received the parcel this morning and noticed a missing item that I felt the need to log onto my very account and check things.

I just don't get why I wasn't sent another email with tracking for the second parcel and the guy I spoke to was pretty clueless what to say to me - that was quite frustrating!! :(

Oh they do normally try and get as much as they can into 1 bag usually as it cuts down the delivery cost to them-or rather moves the cost from 1 part of the business to the other as the owners of Very also own Yodel(formerly HDNL).Usually they stuff so much into 1 bag that its beyond the limits of the bag or the glue that holds them closed and they start bursting open which is embarassing as customers assume you have done it.
    Its generally better for the customer if they come in multiple bags as if something has gone missing out of one large bag but everything else is there you will have a harder time covincing them of this as it could look suspicious(Yodel have an active fraud dept).

BTW-those who complain of drivers "dumping" their parcels how many parcels a day would you expect your driver to be doing?Its probably a lot more than you'd expect and far more than most other delivery drivers hence the fall in the quality of service.
  • lexuslass
    edited 23 October 2011 at 12:33AM
    Options
    you know one of these "?" is sufficient?

OMFG... you picked me up on a couple of extra "?"

really? how sad! I rest my case!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (and before you pick me up on it again, you deserve all those extra "!")
    Very charge £3.95 for postage (or free Collect+)
    you deem that a considerable amount? ?

YES!! actually, I do see this as a considerable amount ... when paying for a next day delivery (I was relying on these items arriving yesterday as we are going away tomorrow and I wanted them!!). HDNL were 100% reliable - I knew what was coming.. and when!

My nearest collect + is about 6 miles away, so it does actually make sense to pay the £3.95 delivery charge on top of each order.

The guy was very unhelpful on the phone - had he had taken some details from me and looked into it for me .. he may have been able to tell me that my parcel WAS going to arrive later on - I could have asked my neighbour to look out for a delivery van to take the parcel in for me while I was out for the only half hour I was out for the whole day (or are you going to tell me I should have abandoned my 4 year old son at the school gates 'just in case' my awol parcel turned up?)

My gripe has not been with the delivery drivers (apart from the parcel the other day being left in full view of everyone walking past! and we have a lot of places to hide parcels out of view), but the "can't be 'fin bothered to help you attitude" of the so called 'helpdesk'!!!

OH.. and for the record.. the emails were not from Very.. they came from reschedule@mail-yodel.co.uk
  • gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    edited 23 October 2011 at 12:36AM
    Options
    To all the people moaning about YODEL/DHL/CITY LINK/UK MAIL ETC just because you get charged £3/4/5/6 delivery and think it should be delivered next day .....think again
    Company charges you £3.95 del
    company gets charged £2 ish by del company for bulk buisness

you buy item with free delivery dont expect next day del

its a cut throat world for parcel companies margains cut to the bone and companies merging or going bust ie Amtrak/Nightspeed

If you want decent deliveries you have to pay for it ie UPS
  • lexuslass
    edited 23 October 2011 at 1:31AM
    Options
    gardner1 wrote: »
    To all the people moaning about YODEL/DHL/CITY LINK/UK MAIL ETC just because you get charged £3/4/5/6 delivery and think it should be delivered next day .....think again
    Company charges you £3.95 del
    company gets charged £2 ish by del company for bulk buisness

you buy item with free delivery dont expect next day del

its a cut throat world for parcel companies margains cut to the bone and companies merging or going bust ie Amtrak/Nightspeed

If you want decent deliveries you have to pay for it ie UPS

I can see what you are saying... but Yodel are basically.... pants!!!

I have used very for years .. they have always (until recently..last few weeks!) used HDNL.. they were great... I emphasise my earlier point . that I could always rely on the same delivery guy being here between 10.30 and 11 am!

To be honest, I couldn't give a cr*p what the delivery company gets charged... I want my parcel!!!! if it's coming on Friday, then I want it on friday...all together... not in itty bitty pieces!!!!

If I was waiting for a new fridge freezer to be delivered, then I would be prepared to wait in all day... but for two pairs of bloody boots and a coat??????????? (offended custardy already with my 'overuse of ???).

To have to 'expect' two deliveries at uncertain times? well, very are going to lose a lot of business from me!

Oh and gardner1 ......very don't offer the choice of using UPS!!
  • custardy
    Options
    OMFG... you picked me up on a couple of extra "?"

really? how sad! I rest my case!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (and before you pick me up on it again, you deserve all those extra "!")

a couple would be two,you seem to have issues

YES!! actually, I do see this as a considerable amount ... when paying for a next day delivery (I was relying on these items arriving yesterday as we are going away tomorrow and I wanted them!!). HDNL were 100% reliable - I knew what was coming.. and when!
    you got next day delivery.just like you paid for.
    it wasnt Yodel who split the consignemnt

My nearest collect + is about 6 miles away, so it does actually make sense to pay the £3.95 delivery charge on top of each order.

The guy was very unhelpful on the phone - had he had taken some details from me and looked into it for me .. he may have been able to tell me that my parcel WAS going to arrive later on - I could have asked my neighbour to look out for a delivery van to take the parcel in for me while I was out for the only half hour I was out for the whole day (or are you going to tell me I should have abandoned my 4 year old son at the school gates 'just in case' my awol parcel turned up?)

well thats your issue. just like all the grown ups in the world you need to make arrangements around kids

My gripe has not been with the delivery drivers (apart from the parcel the other day being left in full view of everyone walking past! and we have a lot of places to hide parcels out of view), but the "can't be 'fin bothered to help you attitude" of the so called 'helpdesk'!!!

OH.. and for the record.. the emails were not from Very.. they came from reschedule@mail-yodel.co.uk

you seem the type who would never be happy TBH
    you ordered items and they arrived on the stated day.split consignments happen
    unless you pay for a timed delivery then you need to be able to cover the whole working day(long for couriers)
  • custardy
    Options
    I can see what you are saying... but Yodel are basically.... pants!!!

I have used very for years .. they have always (until recently..last few weeks!) used HDNL.. they were great... I emphasise my earlier point . that I could always rely on the same delivery guy being here between 10.30 and 11 am!

To be honest, I couldn't give a cr*p what the delivery company gets charged... I want my parcel!!!! if it's coming on Friday, then I want it on friday...all together... not in itty bitty pieces!!!!

If I was waiting for a new fridge freezer to be delivered, then I would be prepared to wait in all day... but for two pairs of bloody boots and a coat??????????? (offended custardy already with my 'overuse of ???).

To have to 'expect' two deliveries at uncertain times? well, very are going to lose a lot of business from me!

Oh and gardner1 ......very don't offer the choice of using UPS!!

times change.companies use the cheapest provider
    If very dont offer a courier you like then shop somewhere else
    theres likely nothing on Verys site you cant get elsewhere

you really should see some help on your punctuation issues though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure