PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I missed my regular night out on Tuesday partly because of work (I work from home), but also because there was a real risk of black ice, and I am very likely to fall if I try and walk on it. I have a walker which gives me some small level of safety, but the risk is still high.

Usually I just use my two sticks to walk short distances. I am thoroughly fed up with high winds stopping me from going out on my trike. Not to mention brief bouts of warmer weather giving us false hope, before we plunge back to sub-zero temperatures.

It's Northern-Hemisphere wide, my Japanese clients are complaining about the weather as well. They have had a long, cold and snowy winter, not just in the northern islands, but down on the Pacific coast in Tokyo and Yokohama too,

Enuff moaning... I made a puff pastry pizza, I didn't have many ingredients, so used a lot of sun-dried tomatoes, plus anchovies and onion. I now know that it's definitely tomatoes that are the cause of recently developed acid reflux problems. A big swig of silicol gel (more expensive than Gaviscon and not as effective, imo) has helped. My sister swears by silicol gel, but I'm not as convinced. It tastes a lot like milk of magnesia to me, which is not a good thing.

My new toastie maker got used again yesterday, DD and DGD visited, and DD made some turkey and chutney toasties, gosh they were nice.

The turkey was, I think, the last of the Christmas leftovers, unless another portion bag is lurking somewhere in the freezer.

Completely with you re the ice versus dodgy mobility, I hate it.... :mad: but as you say it is not just us in the UK.

My LO savoury pancake filling + pasta was really tasty but in true CFO I have LOs, still that's lunch covered tomorrow.:cool:

I've decided to slightly up my grocery order (a couple of essential additions by way of loo roll & toiletries) having done a loose meal plan I think apart from milk & bread I might not need to get an order until next month which is a bit scary.:eek: I'll see how it goes.......:D
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My new toastie maker got used again yesterday, DD and DGD visited, and DD made some turkey and chutney toasties, gosh they were nice.
    When I used frying pans I used to use those to make them as they keep the bread flat and it's easy to turn with a spatula.

These days I toast the bread, then chuck the filling into a mug and into the magic box to heat up .... then spread it between the two bits of toast. Job done, just a mug to wash up :)
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    It's actually sunny and bright here today. I do hate this time of year normally, though.

I had a veggie burger in 2 slices of WM toast with lettuce and mustard for breakfast. I felt quite hungry as I exercised a bit yesterday.

I am about to have some green tea as it is still chilly here.
  • caronc
    Options
    Good morning,

The weather is marginally better this morning, still cold and windy but at least it's dry (so far!):)

Not much by way of cooking today planned, LOs for lunch and a bung it on a tray in the oven dinner of chicken kiev and chips. I'll nuke veg to have with it.

Looking forward to my grocery order arriving and having my fresh supplies replenished:D. Later on I'll meal plan for the next few days.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Brekkie was: a big toasted bread bap, baked beans, scrambled eggies :)
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've got some washing in,! Fingers crossed :p I'm working 11- 4 so be home half past with a good wind!!!!
    Lunch is the hm leek and potato soup. I've got a week ood yogurt, got missed cos it's strawberry ! Yuk! Normally give to dgson. So I won't be eating the strawberry portion of the corner yogurt.

I'm out for a meal tonight for my nieces birthday, prawn cocktail and steak with diavola sauce, pre ordered as there's 14 of us going.

Edit - washing out!!!!! Eaten yogurt, if it's going to poison me better to be at home!!!:eek:
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't have/buy/use yoghurt because the very thought of it turns my stomach... I heard the words "live culture" many decades ago and it turned my stomach, so I've never even tried it.
    It doesn't pay to look too closely at many everyday foods. Eggs for example - just think for a moment about what they are and where they come from. Jelly is another example....
    I happen to like blue cheese but best not go there..... ;)
  • caronc
    Options
    I'm glad a few of us are having better weather:), it's clouding over here but the wind is less gusty so can't have everything I suppose;).
    Grocery order has been delivered and put away, I'm very pleased to no longer have a depleted fridge:D.

MrAPJI - age is after all just a number, I'm sure Mary is delighted to have a couple of "strapping lads" at her disposal:rotfl:

pineapple - yes best not to think about the origins of some foods:eek: (another blue cheese fan here:)). I'm pretty "hard core" about the food stuffs I eat/enjoy but sometimes it's best not to think to deeply about them. (Haggis anyone?:D)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 16 February 2018 at 1:10PM
    Options
    Just thinking that the vast majority of my supermarket list this week is fruit and vegetables and that's rather become my norm now.

But the sole non greengrocery food item that's down on it is milk - as in dairy milk (as I'm a bit half-and-half currently re whether milk is dairy milk or plant mylk). Put like that - well I don't like to think too closely where it's come from either....

Well I guess at least it hasn't been butchered for me to eat it (ie meat) or come from our polluted seas (ie fish - with a touch of plastics flavouring it....). Add the fact that I can't avoid some plastic packaging yet (particularly as I buy everything possible organic).
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I had the last bowl of HM veggie soup and then some herb crackers with the Whole Earth (no palm oil) peanut butter.

It's the first time I've had it and the PB really sticks to your teeth!:p
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure