PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I fancied sausage rolls .... even though I plan to buy beef tomorrow so owning TWO pieces of food lasting 3-4 days apiece would be food overload. So I got all dressed up warm and with a little plastic mac on ... stepped outside and thought "barger this! it's cold and wet wet wet" so I came back inside and chose a big burger from the freezer (it's sat there 3 months as I didn't really like the other one that much) - and cooked that with some oven chips.

So at least I've not got food overload .... and I used up something from the freezer that's been bugging me.

Still had no shelf call... in a way that thought was at the back of my mind when I decided not to walk to the shop in the rain... I thought "if I'm waiting for a call it'll come right as I'm trying to count my pennies out from my purse" ....
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 14 February 2018 at 4:25PM
    Options
    Well that was lunch out with a friend and we duly shared a dish of baked camembert, crusty bread, various salads, grapes, avocado, halloumi, etc. I did treat myself to a rare bit of cake afterwards (chocolate cake). My hipster coffee I like (yep...duly done correctly I noted:)).

We both agreed the bill was astonishingly low for what we had had - and a generous tip was given.

My attitude towards tips is basically that I don't believe in them - because I think they're rarely warranted and certainly feel most uncomfortable about people wanting to tip for a meal that has been god-awful (it just encourages the cafe/pub/restaurant to carry right on being god-awful imo).

But, if I do think something is rather better goods and/or services than I think is "fair" - then I will tip and do so very generously (ie to encourage them to "keep up the good work"). So I will occasionally be found handing over 30-50% extra if I think it's worth it. Yep...that's my version of "Because you're worth it". I want what I'm worth (and rarely get it....sighs...) - but I expect other people to get what they're worth (or not...) too.

So my friend was quite pleased with me - as the place had been my suggestion and she liked it too:). Friends soon learn that I'm "fussy" about what I like - and, if I say something is good, then it really is and they head there expectantly:rotfl:

Tonights meal a later one then. Think I shall probably try out another recipe from current cookbook - morning grain bowls this time. Cooked whole grains (cooked rice duly hauled out of freezer), a bit of cooked cannelini beans (huh?? oh well - try it), flaxseeds, tiny bit of tumeric, berries, banana, plant mylk, date syrup, ginger.

I should think I'll like that - time will tell.
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'd been to hairdressers today so missed lunch , so had my hm pizza ,smoked salmon and veg at 2.30.
    I did get some leeks whilst out , so made leek and potato soup, also made 2 portions of veg pasta, 1 I will take to work tomorrow. :T
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    PN I would be tempted to ring the store see if your order is in, I once was waiting for an email to say my order was in, which didn't come ,when I enquired it had been in (No email) and because it wasn't collected they'd sent it back.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Today I made the once in a blue moon journey to Penrith to get my hair cut and stock up on socks and undies. I was so overcome with the experience of being in a place with actual shops that I also came away with a shirt and some jeggings - and a free range organic chicken. Then I decided I might as well go for broke and have it tonight - instead of being sensible and getting up at dawn to cook on E7 off peak rates.
    In fact the halogen is humming away as I speak. Naughty Pineapple.
    It's back to gruel and charity shops next week though. :(
  • PasturesNew
    edited 14 February 2018 at 6:51PM
    Options
    wort wrote: »
    PN I would be tempted to ring the store see if your order is in, I once was waiting for an email to say my order was in, which didn't come ,when I enquired it had been in (No email) and because it wasn't collected they'd sent it back.

But that's not part of the system.
    The system says to sit and wait for a phone call :)

I used their online form to have an update, not had a reply.

I could phone the store except.... I'm guessing nobody'll answer now. I'll see if I can find their phone number....

bar stewards.....

I hate it when the system leaves you 'adrift' as it doesn't perform to spec and expectations they set out.

EDIT: *spit, gnash, spit, gnash*
    They're there. It's just nobody phoned me to tell me that.
    And now it's dark/wet and tail end of rush hour ...

I'll go out in a bit, get it over and done with.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Deliveries - eh!!!

The Post Office tried to deliver a couple of things to me today - but I was stuffing my face at lunch out (and wouldnt have waited in specially for them anyway:rotfl:). So a day I shall be in anyway next week is scheduled for re-delivery of those things and delivery of some garden items I've bought myself today (look on face of guy running the place equalled "I've got this one summed up that she's got plans on spending lots more here when she can...:D"). Errr...yep..:rotfl:

Living where I do now - I'm having to have rather a lot of my shopping delivered...:cool:

Anyways - I had my morning grain bowl recipe try-out. Verdict - was a bit surprised that an instruction was "heat in microwave" - bearing in mind this is a super-healthy cookbook. I ain't got a microwave - so quick adaptation to "plonk in a saucepan to re-heat". It wasn't bad - but I won't be adding the beans in future in this recipe. Came to conclusion they were in there basically in order to go towards "2-3 portions of pulses per day recommended". Now I'll continue with adding tumeric and ginger (which are both obviously in there for extra nutrition) - but the beans have been crossed off the list of ingredients.

Still on steep learning curve....and one of the next questions is "I saw canned black chickpeas last time I was shopping - so I bought them (as I've not tried that before - though I frequently eat chickpeas)". No wonder there's some slightly amused raised eyebrows when I do my food shopping - which I translate into "There - I thought this one would soon find Next New Product we've just started stocking and it wouldnt be long before she bought it to try:rotfl:".

Does anyone know if there's any difference between black chickpeas and standard chickpeas?
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Does anyone know if there's any difference between black chickpeas and standard chickpeas?
    3 weeks left in the fridge in the tin ....or a week open on the worktop I reckon :)

Been/got my shelves. It's too dark to put them together now though (you can't read instructions by low energy lightbulbs and I want to make sure I don't just make it up and end up with it half upside down first time).

It's vile out there, chucking it down and there's so much cloud cover it's so dark you can hardly see your hand in front of your face even with street lights/car lights on!

I got in the car to come back and the local radio man was listing off locally flooded roads to avoid. I sat and had a rollie and he was still listing them ... I finished that and drove out of the car park and he was still listing them!

Horrible night!

The shop didn't have my favourite biscuits ...but they had some "you'll do/you're almost the same" biscuits, so I bought those. 3 chocolate biscuits and a black coffee for tea :)
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,253 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options

Jut guessing, probably same difference as there is between yellow v red tomatoes, green v purple podded peas. Nothing except colour, and price
    My pancakes were fine, job done for the year, I had one of each filling, jam, choc spread, maple syrup, lemon & sugar. I prefer the traditional lemon & sugar.

No more pancakes until next February

PN, hope the shelves are just what you needed after all the faffing
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Farway wrote: »

PN, hope the shelves are just what you needed after all the faffing

They look a bit narrow to be honest (60cm).... I can't visualise, so I'll only know how it goes once they're together and I've picked out random items from the floor to put onto them :) See what fits etc.
    But, any shelves are better than none..... when you've got piles of random stuff stacked on the floor. At least on shelves you can see what's there and grab/sort out random items... and/or move stuff about to see if it fits/works better :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback