* It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year * - It's the 2016 Christmas Chatter Thread

Options

Comments

04624181 Posts: 565 Forumite
    Options
    Hey everyone, The sun is shining today!

ELC have a 50% off sale on some products so managed to get my 6yr old DD a Magic maize bumper pack. The kids used to LOVE this when I was a crèche manager, even the 10 and 11yr olds that came to holiday club. I must admit I am terribly behind in my planning. I have usually bought so much by now. I have got a few bits, saved some money, got some wrapping paper and some cards and that’s it. I am currently on MASS CLEAR OUT before the school holidays start. I am going to go through my Christmas stash tomorrow and get it all bagged up, listed and put away. I will then feel better about buying as I hate buying duplicate stuff.

Vulpix- well done on your car boot sale finds
    Spendless- thanks for the heads up on the free gifts with the magazines. Some great savings to be had there.
    Peonysugar- Welcome, anybody Christmas crazy is welcome here x Sounds like you have a lot on your plate. Doing something Christmassy always takes my stress levels down and my happy vibes up!
    Peppapig- Glad to hear you are doing ok. Let me know what the abfab movie is like. Really fancy it myself.
  • freespirit66
    freespirit66 Posts: 3,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Afternoon everyone, i had an email over the weekend from qvc that christmas in july products were online, i havent checked yet but thought i would pass it on, i also got an email from amazon about new books being released and there were quite a few christmassy ones, again i still have yet to check them out but they look my sort of thing! Had a lovely time with DD1 babysitting Thumper on saturday night he was as good as gold and then yesterday we spent time in the garden doing bits but also spending time sitting and chatting as it was so warm here :D

NITNURSE haha i feel a right miserable c*w reading that you have year long celebrations for your birthday haha its my 50th in october and i havent even thought of what i want to do for it!

VULPIX glad the band still went ahead at the fete, the kids and dgs were really lucky they managed to get there and back and walk around without getting wet!

SPENDLESS thanks will look out for the brow gel in the magazine

PEONYSUGAR hi and welcome to our thread, just think of the lovely home you will have hopefully by christmas :D

PEPPAPIG we have decided to sell lots of oriental garden ornaments on facebay this week to raise some money for new decking, so wish me luck (i bet because we need the money for something they dont sell :cool:
    )

04624181 it is warm here but very overcast, no sun at all!
    #103 1p Saving Challenge Back to Front 293.94/665.95Currently Reading: Christmas at Cedarwood Lodge - Rebecca Raisin Debt Free thanks to MSE
  • FeistyFidget
    FeistyFidget Posts: 1,368 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    PeonySugar wrote: »
    Hi everyone :) hope you don't mind me popping by. I am as obsessed by Christmas as little kids are so hopefully I fit right in :j

This year I have got a lot on, me and my boyfriend are renovating our first house. We have had the roof, electrics, plastering, loft boarded out, and walls painted so far. Still got the bathroom and kitchen to fit, the skirting board and coving and flooring to do and we have had a disaster caused by next door to happen which is an on going saga. I am living with my parents whilst we are doing this and we are moving out of the family home to somewhere else, my mum is also to have surgery soon and work is extremely busy so my mental health is not in the best state. So I'm learning now to take a step back from everything and make a list on a morning of everything that needs doing so that I can relax ASAP.

So I'm gonna focus on some Christmas craft type things for the next few days, I have some Christmas fabric I didn't use last year and for some reason there are pine cones in the garden so gonna see what I can cobble together from that :)

Welcome to the group, we are a bunch of Christmas nuts so you will fit right in! We went through similar last year, re-furbing a house and having to stay with in-laws, I feel your stress! Lists are a life saver!
    Peppapig wrote: »
    Doing ok thanks 0462, have the odd wobble but basically doing what I want to do whenever I can. I'm getting to know my very tired days but other than that I can do most things in moderation. I'm trying to say yes to as many things as I can. Hoping to go to see the Ab Fab movie with my DDs and my sister on Saturday but the tickets aren't available yet at our local imax so hoping it's still showing! Will hopefully be having pizza before so looking forward to it.

Welcome to this lovely thread PEONYSUGAR, you'll fit right in with all the Christmassy stuff that will be ramping up soon.

NITNURSE that's a great idea to have a 50th year long celebration, make the most of it!

NEWTHRIFT I can't buy chocolate in advance - I'm just too weak not to eat it lol.

FREE you did well to come out of the sale in profit, I seem to be doing it the other way round - I sell but then see something I really really need (or not) and end up spending what I made plus a bit more! I think FB selling groups and eBay are a double edged sword for me! Too much time to be browsing now I'm not working!

Peppy I think wobbles are to be expected. Fingers crossed for the ab fab tickets, it looks amazing! X
    [/COLOR]
    2024 Challenges
    Live in the moment more and appreciate the small things
  • mrsinvisible
    mrsinvisible Posts: 1,310 Forumite
    Options
    good morning, or evening, or night, jet lagged mrs l signing in. l have managed a short read back, but not all of it yet. Thank you all for your good wishes, l had a wonderful time, eaten all sorts of odd items, used the chopsticks safely and had lots of hugs cuddles, kisses and love with the littlies, and got home safely too.
    l actually don't feel too 'laggie' as l got sleep on the main flight and slept well last night. Yesterday l got in to Manchester at 8am, and home at noon thanks to DGS' dad driving down for me, so l stayed awake till 8pm then slept till 6am today.
    Glad to be back, missing the babies but glad for the humungo-hug from DGS and DD so off to get SGS ready for school, and then, as l brought half my spending money home, l may just have a quick look in the sales--Christmas related, obviously. xxxxxxx you all
  • Gettingtherequickly
    Options
    Morning all! Just a very quick pop in, will catch up properly later.

Was in House of Fraser last night & spotted Baylis & Harding sets at half price, soap & hand lotion £5, bath/shower creme £2, hand cream £1.50. Think I will go back in and get some, ideal token gifts, but may also pick up bits for pamper hampers.

Bought a pasta set, serving dish & 4 bowls, reduced from £80 to £24, will have to go back to get one for my friend & that will be her main gift sorted for Christmas, I know she will love it.
    A smile costs little but creates much :)
  • princesskitty29
    princesskitty29 Posts: 1,273 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    It may only be the start of July but I am feeling ridiculously Christmassy right now! I picked up the Peppa Pig Christmas dvd I got from Facebook yesterday so when Wiggle went down for his nap I put it on to make sure it was ok. I felt really Christmassy afterwards! It’ll be perfect for our Christmas Eve hamper. I’ve now got a Christmas special on of the Vicar of Dibley that I’ve still got on my Sky box from last year! I don’t know what’s come over me! I’m going to update my Christmas spreadsheet now. :)

Hello and welcome PeonySugar! Ah it does sound like you’ve got a lot on your plate at the moment, hopefully some Christmas crafting will relax you a bit.

nitnurse ah it sounds like you’ve got some lovely things lined up. I love spreadsheets too, I have them for everything!!

freespirit thanks for the update, I must keep an eye out for Christmas in July and some new Christmas books for this year.

mrsinvisible welcome back! I’m glad to hear you had a nice time and the jet lag isn’t too bad.
  • freespirit66
    Options
    Afternoon everyone, did anyone watch Brief Encounters last night i really enjoyed it with the fab 80s soundtrack all through it!

MRSINVISIBLE so glad you had a wonderful time with your family in China and you got home safely to the delight of DGS!!!

GETTINGTHEREQUICKLY ooh i will have a look as i have been looking for a pasta set for ages!

PRINCESSKITTY haha your christmassyness sings out from your post :rotfl:
    #103 1p Saving Challenge Back to Front 293.94/665.95Currently Reading: Christmas at Cedarwood Lodge - Rebecca Raisin Debt Free thanks to MSE
  • Treasurequeen
    Treasurequeen Posts: 615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Welcome to the group PEONYSUGAR you will enjoy it on here.

Spendless thanks for the heads up about the magazine freebies, the gifts in them sometimes are good and then others are a complete miss. I usually get the good ones and put them by for pamper hampers or stocking fillers.

Peppapig the AB Fab film looks a good laugh I cant wait to see it. A friend of mine went to see it at her local cinema and she said that the woman in front was laughing so much she had a little accident. :rotfl:

freespirit66 thanks for the heads up about Christmas in July on QVC I will have to have a browse. I have a few Christmas books on my amazon wish list and I am adding to them nearly every week. :)

I am making some sterling silver earrings for my Gran and Mum to go with their Christmas presents. So now I have nearly finished my grans present, I have just got to do her family tree and get it professionally printed into a book and then she will be finished ( If I cant get it done the book will be part of her birthday present next year so no worries) I have still got to get a bit more for my mums present but she is easy to buy for unlike my gran. But this year hasn't been so bad for ideas for my gran. In my local garden centre I got one of them spinning candle holders (don't know if anyone knows what they look like) I also got her a tub of her favourite foot butter and then the family tree and earrings.

I was ordering some DVDs for my dads birthday and was sent a voucher worth £5 so I got the Santa clause dvd gift box set with the voucher. :j
  • Peppapig
    Peppapig Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Welcome home MRSINVISIBLE - glad you had such a lovely time and aren't too jet lagged.

GTQ thanks for the heads up re HoF.

PRINCESSKITTY I'm feeling festive too. Have been working on my miniature Christmas shop this morning. I've got a few films still on the planner from last year and I have to admit I've already watched a few!

FREE I had a look at the Christmas stuff on the QVC website - didn't realise they released stuff before Christmas in July. I do miss the old days though when Mr Christmas used to be on there (tubby guy in a festive waistcoat) and they used to sell the old fashioned (vintage) Thomas Paconi tree ornaments. It all seems a bit samey the last few years. I must admit I miss the craft hours too with Dawn Bibby, nothing like watching Christmas crafting for inducing Christmas cheer lol.

TREASUREQUEEN your pressies for your gran sound fabulous.

Finally managed to book our Ab Fab tickets for Saturday, yay, can't wait! Had to laugh though, one of the reviews on the Odeon website said the film was 'rubbish, slapstick and ageist' - made me wonder if they'd ever actually watched the programme! All the others were five star lol.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year :
  • freespirit66
    Options
    Evening everyone,

TREASUREQUEEN yes my wish list also has a list of christmas books, i didnt realise some were released this early in the year. Your presents all sound really thoughtful for your mum and nan

PEPPAPIG no i didnt realise they released them online until i got the email, i have never seen it before. Yes i agree i used to be glued to christmas shows on qvc from morning to night, now i sometimes dont even bother, like you say its the same old thing with the odd new thing thrown in, i will give it another chance this year though :rotfl:i have already started on the gingerbread lattes this week :D I hope the Ab Fab film is good, it was the biggest opening weekend of a british film this year apparently so it cant be that bad!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure