NST - Stupendous Sextilis

Options

Comments

• crazy_cat_lady
    crazy_cat_lady Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Morning all :wave: :coffee: and happy Sextilis!
    LCC - sorry about your costly start to the month. I had to pay £320 on tyres and brakes for the car last week. Hope the furry friend is on the up.
    I kind of feel raring to go after being awol for most of June and July so I'm declaring early on. August is always a really big month for me as me and the kids are off school. Hence why I do my exam marking, so I have extra money in the budget to play with... I am looking forward to the month ahead though. :D

Rules:

Allocate – set your budgets for the month – this needs to includes any money needed for holidays away, days out, maybe even school uniform/items. Make sure you have something allocated for treats.
    Once you have done your budget you then need to pay any surplus to your debts or savings.

I have quite a bit coming up this month. I'm in London with work at the moment, then have 2 breaks away with the family, plus it's my wedding anniversary and the kids have also begged for a trip to Flamingo Land.
    Plus dd's school have an entire new uniform that is going to cost me over £100 and ds is growing so quickly he will also need new uniform this year. That's before I even consider school shoes.

Use (Up) – we are going to try and use up as much as possible, whether that is clothes/food etc. Do you need new clothes for holidays or will your current clothes be suitable? Do you need those sparkly sandals when you have a similar pair in the wardrobe? Do the children need to replace all school items/clothes or can some from last year be reused?

See above re school uniform. My school are also going to a new uniform but everyone got a free tie and a half price jumper. None of that luxury from dd's school... We've just done a massive declutter of the house last week - I hired a skip and everything :p so the only use ups required are food based. We have plenty everyday clothes and shoes - just school stuff to sort.

Gratitudes – each time you post I would like you to post at least 3 gratitudes.
    I am grateful today for:
    The sun shining and me already sorting out most of my London stuff so I can enjoy the next 2 days without fretting about stuff needing to be done.
    Getting really nice food without having to make it :p
    Being away from home so I don't have to do any housework :rotfl:

Upcoming (holidays) – what plans has everyone got for August?

We have lots of plans:
    2 days in the Lakes
    4 days in Yorkshire
    A day to Flamingo Land (using 2 for 1 tickets)
    As I say, my exam marking helps to pay for this. Other than that the kids are quite good at finding their own entertainment. We have Now tv so like to sit and watch a film or box set together if the weather isn't great...

Spends – we will have 15 NSD’s (unless you want to set a separate target).
    Medical spends or days when the only purchase is reduced items do not count as spends.

Not sure I'll manage this at all, but if I don't try I don't know. Might get a nsd today as my spends are all reclaimable on expenses, and although I'm going out tonight I'd bought my ticket already.

Time (for yourself) – make time for yourself this month.

Definitely getting back into my love of crochet. I've had a manic couple of months and spent the first week of the hols decluttering the house. Now I'm away again with work so I'm determined that August will be a relaxing and replenishing month.

Enjoy everyone! :beer:
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 August 2017 at 10:53AM
    Options
    Good morning,

bit of a speedy day yesterday (but it was still July ;) ). Paid car tax and bought the kids a bunk bed. Their room is really small and in the eaves. At the moment they both have a toddler bed (70x 140 cm) but with DS being 6.5 it was time for a bigger one, plus they take up most of the floor space. Found a shorty bunk bed (83X183, smaller than a single) that will just about fit behind the door and free up "loads" of floor space and two mattresses.

No spends expected today. Salad for lunch and a short bike ride.

Today I'm grateful for
    *DH keeping his cool when DS had a ragey this morning and I nearly exploded too
    *being able to focus much better at work today
    *the rain watering my plants
    * a friend lending me his mountain bike for a race

Also got my latest energy bill. We're only using about £50 a month now but still pay £86 by DD. Was about to change our DD but will leave it and built up a buffer for winter.
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,292 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Count me in.
    This is all new to me(apart from NSD's) so will be baby steps :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I just did the maths and it's only 6.5 months to the big 40 :eek: :j:beer: and I decided that is the ultimate date to be debt free and have a savings cushion rather than 09/17. Off to do a number crunch and rejig.
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • Calling14
    Calling14 Posts: 3,498 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It's August so Hey Ho must do better than last month.:o

Today's positive steps

Paid 50 pounds off my debt:j
    Cleared this month nightmare credit card bill (546 pounds) emptied every account rather than pay any interest.:p (remains of car repairs on it)
    A SFD has happened I have no choice no money anywhere now. SFD 1/15.:)
    Dinner from freezer remains of home made veggie lasagne still going strong.:cool:
    Determined to get some steps done today yesterday only managed 7,400. I was so tired after busy weekend.

Grateful for
    New work computer arriving hopefully Friday. :)

Only putting on 1lb considering all cakes ate over weekend,:o Will disclose my weight now heaviest even been to shame me into losing weight this month. 13st 1lb:eek:
    Going to collect new Baywatch red swimming costume paid for last month after work - may spur me on to being a fittie.:rotfl:
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 Now £0 Finally Debt FreeMortgage free Oct 2019:)EFund/savings £25000 10/11/22
  • better_times
    Options
    Rules:

Allocate – Budget set which includes school uniform and holiday spends, £600 paid off loan

Use (Up) – Working my way through freezer/fridge/cupboards, allocated £50 for this month for milk and fresh fruit/veg which will not be bought until all the frozen has been used. I do need washing powder and conditioner this month but I am going to trial soap nuts this month too as a new thing to try

Gratitudes

I am grateful for a job I really enjoy
    Having time this month as I have three weeks off from my night job to knit some of my Sudoku blanket
    For my daughter growing up into a beautiful kind young lady .

Upcoming (holidays) – We are off to a caravan for a week me DD and bear (the dog) I will pack lunches and cook at night to keep the costs down

Medical spends or days when the only purchase is reduced items do not count as spends.

Time (for yourself) – I am going to knit my Sudoku blanket and watch 3 films I have been meaning to watch on Netflix
    Tesco £126/£0.00 - gone, 
    Cabot £150/£0.00 - gone
    Lowell £967.98/£248.50  left
    Lending Stream £1,137.00/£1,035.44 left
    Lowell £1,226.11/£1,116.61 left
    Old rent £2,211.00/£2,013.66 left
    Robway £2,298.43/£2,161.59 left
    Cabot £2,505.93/£2,282.08 left
    Robway £7,045.61/£6,616.09 left

Total £17,668.06/£15,473.97 Left 12.42% paid
  • Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    NSD No 1

Breakfast lunch and dinner for all three of us from from freezer/store cupboard/vegetables we already have. Same tomorrow. All healthy I have done a stock take of the fridge and both freezers. The amount of food we have accumulated is really ridiculous. I’m going to have to be very inventive to use this lot up.

I weighed myself :eek: so I now know where I heading and it’s a scary thought. However I think that losing weight will help with the minor health issues. With that in mind my repeat prescription has been put into health centre so I don’t run out and I’ve organized all my medicines in a box in the drawer of my bedside cabinet so I don’t forget to take them. Other problems (dry skin etc) can be sorted if I stick to using lotions which are also now in a separate box in said drawer.

Made a hairdresser appointment for next Tuesday. That should make me feel better and it can be Tuesday’s treat.

Today’s treat - I’m going to give myself a facial before I go to bed.

Today I’m grateful for:
    Getting everything back into the freezers after taking it all out. For one moment I thought I wasn’t going to manage it.
    An email from C’s friends. At least it shows that they want to keep it touch.
    Indiana Jones and the Legend of the Crystal Skull.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • LD_13
    LD_13 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, can I join in too please.

I'm heading back to college next month so I'm trying to get myself organised for student life. I finish up full time work next Friday, cutting down to 2 days a week until November.

Rules:

Allocate – set your budgets for the month – this needs to includes any money needed for holidays away, days out, maybe even school uniform/items. Make sure you have something allocated for treats.
    Once you have done your budget you then need to pay any surplus to your debts or savings.

Payday yesterday so I have already allocated my budgets and paid towards my debts. I have expenses due mid month from work that will go straight to my visa. I struggle to stick to my food budget (£100 for one person, it's plenty but I end up buying stuff I don't need or splurging on toiletries with it - that all stops this month!)

Use (Up) – we are going to try and use up as much as possible, whether that is clothes/food etc. Do you need new clothes for holidays or will your current clothes be suitable? Do you need those sparkly sandals when you have a similar pair in the wardrobe? Do the children need to replace all school items/clothes or can some from last year be reused?

I have a freezer full of meat to use up and so many toiletries that I could open my own branch of Boots. No new clothes needed at the moment.

Gratitudes – each time you post I would like you to post at least 3 gratitude's.

Might as well start as I mean to go on.
    1. I'm grateful that the crazy rain here will have sorted out my plants and veg.
    2. I'm very grateful for the delicious cupcake I had earlier courtesy of a kind supplier.
    3. That I got a seat on the train this morning.

Upcoming (holidays) – what plans has everyone got for August? If you haven’t yet decided and are worried about keeping the kids entertained then now is the time to plan the month. Get yourself an A4 piece of paper and draw 31 squares and start filling in the days.
    Free activities are preferred - can we all share some tips?
    is there a friend or family member you haven’t seen for a while – plan a catch up with them.

I have an overnight stay in London later this month. Accommodation is free as staying with a friend, show ticket was a gift and my train is paid. I have £68 spending money so far and plan to cash in my tin of coppers for the rest, I think there is about £40 in there.

Also have an overnight in Glasgow this weekend but B&B cost and spends have already been allocated in my budget.

As I'll only be working 2 days for the last 3 weeks of August I'll have a lot more time on my hands before college starts. I plan to read, get out walking (training for a mountain climb at the mo), finish painting my garden fences and see family / friends. I have no real need to be out spending money.

This will be a challenge for me but I'm up for it.

Time (for yourself) – make time for yourself this month, I know its hectic for a lot of people so take time to have a coffee in peace, a bubble bath, indulge in a good book, do some colouring or something else that takes your fancy.

I've already decided that Tuesday nights are for me, bath with hair & face masks and an early night. I have a ton of beauty products in the cupboard so no need to buy anything for this.

I also have a spa day booked later in the month, half price voucher paid for with birthday money.
    Visa - £368.99, Car loan (dad) - £3,690
    NSD - /18
    Food shop - £3.60/£100
    Super September Scrimper No. 28
  • Fmess
    Fmess Posts: 2,920 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 August 2017 at 6:24PM
    Options
    Hi all,

I am going to make a real effort to get back in to posting daily this month, whilst I am off and have no excuses.

Rules:

Allocate

Budgets this month are:-
    Food - £120 (I used to have £100 but I have found trying to lose weight costs more money)
    Petrol - £80 (although this may need to be extended, I'll explain in a minute)
    Entertainment/misc - £400 (this is much larger than usual for several reasons, it includes new winter boots for school (planning ahead), chiropractor, slimming world membership, sister's birthday present, haircut, a meal out with friends and a facial, as a treat for exam marking for the last 3 months).

Use (Up)

I am not going away but have just bought two new dresses for when I go back to school in September, hopefully then I won't need any more work clothes until next summer!

I will try and use up some more of the random items in my food cupboard.

Gratitudes

Today I am grateful for:
    - getting unexpected work during the summer holidays
    - free pizza and doughnut at above work
    - getting to work with my mum
    - a good vets visit with a proactive plan for moving forward

Upcoming
    A few days out planned with teacher friends and a spa trip planned with my mum :) This has been paid for and the day trips should be cheap.

Spends – 15 NSDs

Time (for yourself)

I will definitely have time for me this month :)

LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New roof and car £8557/£19003 New kitchen £396/£5039 Credit card Paid Student loan Paid
  • lcc86
    lcc86 Posts: 2,339 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Today has been the first NSD of the month :money: the important bills and standing orders have all gone through.

I ordered another tyre to be fitted next week for the car, I took money from another savings pot so that'll be £52. Much cheaper than the one I got yesterday but I was stuck yesterday and had to pay whatever they quoted!

Tomorrow the gpig has to go back to the vet, he's not getting any better so it's probably something serious. With the small ones it's so hard to diagnose. I don't think I have the money either tbh, after spending out on the car and already wiping out the vet fund I'm probably going to have to use the cc. I'm not too concerned as I don't use it for anything else and it'll be the only debt I have so can pay it off quickly.

Gratitudes of the day:
    1. A clear, easy commute thanks to summer holidays
    2. A colleague feeling she could confide in me
    3. Hopefully getting an issue at work resolved
    Save £3,000 emergency fund #79 - £1,805 as of 04/24
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts