PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Options

Comments

• short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Fifer73 wrote: »
    Hi to all on the Forum,
    not been on for a while but i catch up every couple of days with whats been posted .
    Well after a weekend off study , 16 hours done, And help from my local Radio Club . ( with some of the practical aspects of radio operating )

I passed my amateur radio ( ham radio ) Foundation Exam .:jWhich is the first stage i can stay on foundation level, or increase to intemediate and then go for the full licence if i wish to do so.

On Foundation I can use 10 watts of power , still enough to contact people worldwide

You can find details of if your new to amateur radio on the rsgb web page
    http://www.rsgb.org/newcomers/
    and details if there are any clubs near to you
    http://www.rsgb.org/clubsandtraining/

Keep up the good work :T

Nice one, Fifer!
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    That reminds me of the fantastic Blackadder in the trenches, with Baldrick making him a dinner of trench rat, lightly sauteed in a muddy puddle :D
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    That reminds me of the fantastic Blackadder in the trenches, with Baldrick making him a dinner of trench rat, lightly sauteed in a muddy puddle :D

Aw love Blackadder, OH got me the full anniversery box set with all the extras last year :T.

Didn't he also serve up rat-o-van and I seem to remember some very frothy coffee where you really didn't want to know where baldrick was getting the froth from :rotfl:.

Ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :T Well done, Fifer!

I'm feeling a bit sheepish as my neck of the woods has been spared the extreme weather which so much of the country has been suffering for days. The river is up a bit and very muddy-brown which tends to happen when it's been raining heavily for some days, but other than some strong gusts this morning and a rolickling stiff breeze this afternoon, it's all good here. Bright sunshine all day.

:eek: Been watching the flooded bits on the newspaper websites and it's really bad. Hope no one here is personally-affected (not that I want anyone not here to be affected, IYSWIM.:o)

Working for a LA that has a duty of care to people forced out of their homes by disasters, I know a little about how these things work. Even without a major incident, there can easily be zero emergency accomdation for the LA to book nearer than 30-40 miles away, which is obviously terrible for those people affected. And that's just normal business at any time of the year.

I guess that in the first part of an emergency evac, people would be accomodated in community centres, sports halls, schools etc. Middling and longer term would prove a lot more difficult. You might end up with accomodation a long way from your workplace and your child's school.

I'm running my prepping in tandem with decluttering, which might seem counter-intuitive to some, but it makes sense if you think about it.

If you need to get out in a hurry, you don't want to be falling over stuff on the floor or unable to find the kit you need to take with you.

If there is to be substantial damage to your home, the less you have to lose, the better it will be. If you turn unwanted stuff into cash and put that away, you won't weeping over lost goods. If you give it to the c.s. because you're not using it, it then becomes some else's responsibility.

I was in Lewes after a major lot of flooding several years ago. I think that every skip in that part of the world was on the streets and chocka with what had once been valuable and treasured belongings before the floods ruined them. It was so sad to see it all spoiled.

Right, going to get my supper. Laters, GQ xx
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    On the theme of bad weather, starting to see more and more stories about how bad a winter we are going to get, one story here

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/358717/358717.
    So time to batten down the hatches for snow me thinks.

Ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    siegemode wrote: »
    Thanks for these warnings. Amazing, why can't the msm give people more info like this to help those at risk to prepare I wonder.

Any more predictions available ? I believe we are in for a cold snap later this week with some snow.

you`re welcome. There is a limit to what I can say though as it is a subscibed forecast and is copyright. The uk is so different all over re the weather and trying to link the weather predictions plus his solar activity R status is fairly complicated, so naturally I focus on where we and our children live. There are several hints on
    http://www.weatheraction.com/displayarticle.asp?a=505&c=5

The met office and gov do not tell people about the likes of solar activity as it goes against all that money making mush that they spout out about global warming, which is a very real money spinner, taking money from every single household

There was an enormous solar event on 21st which resulted in a coronal hole directly facing earth and this led to the events from the 21st to 24th. Calmness will now start to prevail but that can also be bad imo for the folks below the rain as the rain clouds will stay put and drop a lot of water

PC is an amazingly clever man but is very frustrated because governments will not take action on what he predicts is likely to happen. He is maximum 85% correct and sometimes 70% but his words are also down to interpretation ie `nov will be a roller coaster` and it certainly is/was. The cme has caused massive sudden shifts of the jet stream hence the whole world is being affected and many areas are burning up and others experiencing earthquakes, severe cold etc

Personally, we shall be able to enjoy our drive to see dd in a few days and I am so glad we cancelled a drive north last wednesday, I knew what was coming
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    ALIBOBSY wrote: »
    On the theme of bad weather, starting to see more and more stories about how bad a winter we are going to get, one story here

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/358717/358717.
    So time to batten down the hatches for snow me thinks.

Ali x

That`s the express ali ;)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 25 November 2012 at 9:08PM
    Options
    I don`t remember if I posted the rain today link but it really is accurate and will tell what is coming in the next couple of hours. I paid for the premium version at £25 a year but it is just faster at uploading, the link is for the free version. The premium version gives a couple of hours ahead. Its worth playing with the controls. It is 20.08 actual time and I am getting data to 22.45

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/
  • Hillbilly1
    Options
    Helen2k8 wrote: »
    A little light relief - post apocalyptic menu choices

I'm off to sort out the wine cellar...
    NOT a NEWBIE!

Was Greenmoneysaver. . .
  • 2tonsils
    2tonsils Posts: 915 Forumite
    Options
    siegemode wrote: »
    Thanks for these warnings. Amazing, why can't the msm give people more info like this to help those at risk to prepare I wonder.

Any more predictions available ? I believe we are in for a cold snap later this week with some snow.

I am so pleased my 'early warning' posts helped people. I will post an update shortly from the UK storm chaser, I am waiting for a new one from the American forecaster so will post them when I can. I was just looking at the European computer maps and it looks like the system might stall over the UK instead of moving off like Sky news forecast!

Latest from my friend in the UK:
    Heaviest of the rain now moving away from the South West, although still some heavy rain around Somerset.

The areas at greatest risk during the early hours of tomorrow and during the day tomorrow are;

Central parts of Yorkshire
    York
    North East England

Latest Live Rainfall radar can be found on this link;
    http://www.ukweatherforecast.tv/rainfall-radar/

Latest Weather Warning can be found:
    http://www.ukweatherforecast.tv/weather-warnings/

My friends are saying the cold spell is still on its way to the UK...below freezing at night and then the chance of snow to many parts.

My heart goes out to all those affected and I am starting to get a bit perturbed about family and friends in the UK now. My mother in law lives in Stamford Bridge in Yorkshire and although they have flood defences its not looking good for York at the moment. I did manage to convince her to stock up on food though and meds.

I feel guilty about mentioning our weather at the moment as so many people are suffering in the UK. The films of the devastation were just on Sky. Horrendous!:eek:

I agree with the ones who were thinking about food shortages and how the crops are going to be affected...its a good job most of us are prepared for the worst.

Stay warm , safe and dry folks.....

Have my unexpected job interview tomorrow evening ......wish me luck as I am going to need it....:D
    “The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin.” Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC):A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure