Great What/What Not to Buy at Lidl, Aldi and Netto Hunt

Options

Comments

• pna1
    pna1 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Lidl's veg is as good and fresh as anyone's. Do go for their excellent fresh pizzas too!
  • dazco
    dazco Posts: 19,261 Forumite
    Options
    I think it has been discussed before that the fruit and veg varies by store. My local store ( preston ) is fairly poor imho. There are always those horrible little flies that only fly when you disturb them, lazy flies.
    And the bananas are ALWAYS wet.......why?
    S!!!!horpe
  • persontypething
    Options
    Poing wrote:
    Can anyone recommend any coffee from Aldi? - I like Kenco Rapport and try & get it when on offer in Netto. Definately prefer strong coffee - none of that mellow stuff that tastes like tea, yuk

Sorry this isn't Aldi but Lidl- theit First Class Pure Colombian coffee is REALLY nice - it's their most expensive at £1.69 for 100g, but yummy and still cheaper than most decent mainstream brands.

Live right opposite Netto and Aldi- Lidl is near work, so unless I can be bothered to get a bus to T*sco or As*a, these are my everyday shops...Find Netto a nightmare , though- full of absolute nutters, only ever one till on and don't like much apart from basic meat etc- Aldi is MUCh classier, but always seems empty- loads easier to shop. Lidl is like the United Nations- full of interesting foreign speaking customers- great for strange Continental cooked meats, cheap fruit and veg, but use quickly as earlier poster suggested... oh and Aldi booze is pretty much beyond reproach.....
  • ivibabe
    Options
    aldi's chicken and leek pie is fantastic. the ginger nut biscuits are better than mcvities, and half the price.
    lidl's are excellent for smoked salmon and fabric conditioner. the freezer bags in a box are the best anywhere.
  • Rachel021967
    Rachel021967 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Options
    Lidls.

I buy my daughter's nappies from there. 50 maxi for £5.29. Beans are ok but firmer than the usual makes. I quite like them but I'll eat almost anything.
    There strawberry jam is good and my daughter loves their chocolate spread.
    White bread flour is good at 49p per 1.5kg
    Husband likes their stollens.
    Orange juice is OK
    Ham is OK.
    Daughter likes their tuna in oil.

What not to buy or can get cheaper elsewhere.

Baby food - can usually get cheaper and a greater variety elsewhere.
    In our local store the fresh fruit and vegetables are usual past their best.
    Their economy crisps. Tried them a few years ago and even I didn't like them. Sainsbury's basic ready salted are good and only 36p for 6 and only contain potato, oil and salt.
    Sainsbury's economy milk chocolate is also only 25p per 100g.
    I also like Sainsbury's economy yoghurt which is 29p? for 4. Doesn't contain artificial sweetners. Fruit content not high though.
  • ivibabe
    Options
    lidl's jams and marmalades are excellent, and the premium coleslaw is the best of all brands.
  • Rachel021967
    Rachel021967 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Options
    Slightly off topic but I wouldn't want to work for our local Lidls. I was overcharged on a bag of potatoes. The lad that was serving me was busy with another customer so I pointed out the mistake to somebody else who looked official. He went over to the lad who was still in the middle of serving another customer. Slams down the potatoes, calls him an idiot and generally humilates him for 5 minutes before calling somebody else over to refund me. Wished I hadn't mentioned it now.
  • tubster
    tubster Posts: 256 Forumite
    Options
    Very pleased to see this thread; Lidelle, as we call it down here in Tonbridge, is more than a shop - it is a way of being.

A first timer came in to our local Lidl and asked where the baskets were. Get a box, I said. Where from he said. Ah, I said, 'it is your first time. You must empty a box of vegetables or tins, and carry that around with you. Or you could queue up for 20 minutes and buy a bag, but it will mean you have to queue up twice. Or there is always the crackerjack option - just try and hold it all until you get home. ‘You must be joking’ he said. He couldn't believe it. Welcome to Lidlworld, I said, as we watched a disabled lady come into the entrance in her wheelchair, doing a kind of wheely limbo dance under the metal bar where the trolleys usually go by the turnstile at the entrance (no money for a security guard here, so the entrance is fenced off). He then looked incredulously at the line of everything you could possibly need to to open a chinese restaurant, or a horse tack shop, or a euro-satellite receiver station, or a plumbers merchant, or whatever the Lidelle buyers have got into their heads that should be the latest craze amongst the over 70s that pick over it all. There they all were on a Thursday morning, squinting at the thirteen languages on the box of a spaghetti drainer in the vain hope that one of them might be English so they can work out what the hell it is for. He then looked in wonder at the queue, and the post-apocalyptic little piles of shopping that are left at the end of the aisles, from people who have lost the will to live in the long line to pay and gone home (our visitor will quickly learn that there is only one cashier, who also happens to be the cleaner, forklift driver and manager).

But all this is meant in a kindly way, because I actually enjoy the jumble sale feel, and because the prices are are as low as the number of staff they employ - the whole thing is kind of fun in a post-war East Germany kind of way. And if you have only got a couple of things, people often let you go in front of them - this is not behaviour that I have ever witnessed at Tescos, which provides the most uniformly predictable shopping experiences on the planet. At Tescos we can pick from an infinity of goods but somehow it is dull, dull, dull in comparison.
    I think for a bargain hunter, normal supermarkets are hunting grounds - you have to look hard for the best deals as rip-offs are everywhere, you must be on your guard. But Lidl is different - here you can kick back, relax, enjoy the company of fellow bargain hunters and not worry unduly about the complex 3 for 2 offers or markdowns you find in other places, because here everything is reasonably priced.

Buy: coleslaw, potato salad, fruity yoghurts, olive oil, recycled toilet roll, port, ah, the apple schnapps (a one week wonder I fear), mulled wine is good, about 10 per cent strength and 3 quid for a litre, olives, bags of raisens , cheap lager is fine, juice (one litre boxes of orange is proportionally cheaper than 1.5 litre for some strange reason) cheese good, 'luxury' chocolates/truffles are usually surprisingly luxurious; I have bought some wonderful electronic stuff, like blood pressure monitor, radio controlled clocks etc that have worked well for years. Fireworks were very good too. Anyone who bought the rechargable batteries this year should feel very self satisfied - they sold out in an hour in Tonbridge godammit

Don't buy: cornichons (too sweet), tinned spaghetti hoops (watery yuck) farmhouse pickle (very sweet)

tubster :D
  • pjala
    pjala Posts: 420 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    abjem21 wrote:
    Aldi
    Do buy the winter ski clothing. (but please wait untill I've bought mine !o)
    Excellent value (Its even cheaper to buy it from Aldi than it is to rent it)
    The childrens ski suits we bought (and used this February) for £9.99 each I sold on ebay after we returned for between £15 and £25 each.
    The Adults sets were £39.99 For a Jacket and sallopettes that were just as good as sets 5 times the price elsewhere. Very Smart and Very warm.
    The thermals, gloves, socks, hats, roll necks and walking boots Etc etc were all excellent.
    Just remember to hold your nerve because all of these items are sold for a week in early January just in time for your half term skiing holiday, you will kick yourself if you buy any of these items elsewhere.

Abjem21.

Word of warning on these, I bought an adult ski coat, and on the second day - the zip broke. The zips are small, and look cheap even though the coat looks ok
  • kansas_2
    kansas_2 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Lidl,
    I was skeptical and wary at first, but now try more products - have to agree on the Baked Beans though.

Items Bought.
    Peach Spring Water 2 litre
    Lemonade
    Soups
    Corned Beef
    Biscuits & Cake
    Bleach
    Dishwasher Powder
    Bisto
    Slippers (Hubby always buys)
    Clothes Dryer
    Travel Hair Dryer
    Numerous household gadgets
    Frozen Chicken Breasts
    Have tried their Beef and Pork from the chilled section - mainly good
    Showerproof Walking Jacket.
    Salad, Fruit and Veg.

This store has excellent value for money products.
    Dont you just love a bargain?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport