Help repairing COD headphones

Options
After being dropped the earpiece has come away from the headstrap on a pair of very expensive COD headphones! Still attached by wiring and still working. It's basically just a metal screw end that fits through a hole in the strap but tried everything and it will not go back through the hole as of course the screw is too big. Tried a PC repair shop but they said they couldn't figure out how to fix it! Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Chickabiddybex
    Options
    Have you definitely got the right screw? Surely it must fit back in if it was in there before!

The exact model of headphones would be useful too in case someone on this forum has the same one and then might be able to help - otherwise it's pretty difficult to offer advice on this type of thing over a forum.
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • November2
    November2 Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi, they are Turtle Beach Call Of Duty Black Ops headphones. It isn't a screw that 'screws' back in, the screw is fixed in the earpiece and it is the large end of the screw that was in the hole in the headstrap. The impact of the drop has forced the end of the screw to come out of the hole thus detaching the earpiece from the headstrap. I've tried everything to force it back into the hole but its just too big.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    November2 wrote: »
    I've tried everything to force it back into the hole but its just too big.

That does not seem a good plan!

Have you tried screwing irt back in. I would expect it to be self taping and thus too large to force back in.

If it's the wrong way round you probably need to remove something to access the head.
  • November2
    Options
    Hi, it can't be screwed back in as it's the other end of the screw that has come out of the hole, ie the screw head. The earpieces on a pair of headphones are moveable and it pivots on this screw. The hole is situated in a large piece of plastic but I can't see how this can be removed without snapping it. Does anyone know if I can force it off without it snapping?
  • Chickabiddybex
    Options
    Can you show us a picture of what you mean?
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • mrlee
    mrlee Posts: 54 Forumite
    Options
    Does it have a recess for a screwdriver or is it actually some form of rivet that has pulled through the headband?

lee
  • November2
    Options
    Hi, it's a screw with a cross end. As far as I can work out the manufacturer must push the screw outwards through the end of headband, there is a piece of plastic with a hole in the middle, this then screws into the earpiece. The cross end of the screw has come out the hole so the earpiece is now only fastened to the headband by its wires. The cross end should of course be too big to come through the hole but the impact of hitting the floor must've pushed it through somehow. The only way I can see how to reattach the earpiece is to remove the plastic piece from the headband, undo the screw completely from the earpiece and push it back through the plastic, then reattaching the earpiece. Problem is I don't know how to remove the plastic piece, I've tried slightly pushing it up with a screwdriver but I'm afraid it will crack in two as it doesn't seem to give at all. PC shop guy wouldn't even try it. Will try to sort out a picture. (thanks for all replies by the way)
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    November2 wrote: »
    Hi, it's a screw with a cross end. As far as I can work out the manufacturer must push the screw outwards through the end of headband, there is a piece of plastic with a hole in the middle, this then screws into the earpiece. The cross end of the screw has come out the hole so the earpiece is now only fastened to the headband by its wires. The cross end should of course be too big to come through the hole but the impact of hitting the floor must've pushed it through somehow. The only way I can see how to reattach the earpiece is to remove the plastic piece from the headband, undo the screw completely from the earpiece and push it back through the plastic, then reattaching the earpiece. Problem is I don't know how to remove the plastic piece, I've tried slightly pushing it up with a screwdriver but I'm afraid it will crack in two as it doesn't seem to give at all. PC shop guy wouldn't even try it. Will try to sort out a picture. (thanks for all replies by the way)

Stop writing descriptions and give us pictures.
  • MothballsWallet
    Options
    Are they anything like these?

$_58.JPG

But, as others have said, you really need to post some photos to help us see what the problem as words alone aren't enough.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure