Small Business Gas & Electricity Discussion Area

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Given that it seems to imply that the contract is not yet confirmed because it has not yet been signed, she could try replying along the lines of rejecting the contract because the terms she was given verbally are not matched in the written contract. But I'd suggest some googling to find legal backing for that.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Finch7
    Finch7 Posts: 1,428 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Currently entering the minefield of business elec and gas provision, maybe a very basic question but would welcome any input.

Domestically, I am happy to use an independent based on customer feedback and reviews.

However, when talking to a broker they have played on the Big6 because there is a potential for supply to be cut from a smaller company and they wouldn't allow access to the meters for supply upto 30 days?! As a business, there is a requirement for constant supply so the thought of being without means I am very much edging from an independent...BUT

I thought the point was the supply lines to anywhere is not owned by the company, so I would be able to get another supplier in? I am conscious the broker would probably get a slightly heftier referral bonus from a Big6 than a smaller independent...but I don't want to be too cynical.

Thoughts?
  • koru
    koru Posts: 1,502 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Finch7 wrote: »
    Currently entering the minefield of business elec and gas provision, maybe a very basic question but would welcome any input.

Domestically, I am happy to use an independent based on customer feedback and reviews.

However, when talking to a broker they have played on the Big6 because there is a potential for supply to be cut from a smaller company and they wouldn't allow access to the meters for supply upto 30 days?! As a business, there is a requirement for constant supply so the thought of being without means I am very much edging from an independent...BUT

I thought the point was the supply lines to anywhere is not owned by the company, so I would be able to get another supplier in? I am conscious the broker would probably get a slightly heftier referral bonus from a Big6 than a smaller independent...but I don't want to be too cynical.

Thoughts?
    Sounds like BS to me. I'd find a different broker.
    koru
  • Sandybanks
    Sandybanks Posts: 88 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 June 2018 at 11:23PM
    Options
    Having organised the energy supply for several small businesses over the last 6 years and used many small and large suppliers with and without a broker I can offer this.
    There will be lots of mistakes to resolve whoever you use and the more people involved the harder it is to solve.

Im guessing that quality brokers make money by arranging trouble free contracts for clients. The more problems they have to spend time on the less money they make. Therefore they will want to deal with energy companies who make less mistakes and are quick to correct them. Its also possible that the big 6 pay larger commissions to their brokers than small independents. Also brokers who have been in business for some time will have experience of a number of energy companies and how much extra work is involved in dealing with each. I certainly would not deal with Extra Energy again and would be very wary of any broker who recommended them.

Some of the independent companies don't deal with brokers, I assume because the commission they pay them would make their prices less competitive. I think Octopus is one of these. I wont hesitate to recommend Octopus their customer service reply and ability to resolve your problem is fantastic. They also happily hand out £50 on recommendations to both you and the person you recommended. They were even happy to let us recommend our business from our domestic account so we got £100 cash back.
    Another independent company that has great customer service is Zog who at the moment only do Gas however i believe they are looking into supplying electric towards the end of this year.
    I trialed both of these independent suppliers as domestic suppliers first and then used them for business when I was happy with their performance.

Should you wish to give Octopus a go I would be happy for you to use my recommendation code [Referral Removed]
  • BeaBea
    Options
    Hi
    can anyone recommend an online comparison site for electricity suppliers for a small business?
    The links I've tried so far have all insisted on phone contact and I dont have the patience to deal with yet more misinformation and hard sales pitches. I just want one that works like the ones for private individuals - please!
    Thanks in advance.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,445 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    BeaBea said:
    Hi
    can anyone recommend an online comparison site for electricity suppliers for a small business?
    No phone calls till the deal was nearly done.

• karlfromdorset
    Options
    Hi all,
    Not sure is anyone can help on this, as from what I’m reading is I’m stuck!

I moved in to new business premises in 2018 and am the named occupier on the tenancy agreement. When we moved in we were on “deemed rates” with Npower and then got rates and signed up for a 4 year fixed contract.

Roll forward to this week and things have changed within my business (new electric thirsty equipment) and was hoping that I’d be able to get out of my contract and move to a cheaper tariff...even if I had to pay. Sadly, no such thing so at the moment I’m stuck in my contract until June 2022!!

Our usage will be x4 what we have been using so is now a huge leap in costs.

I share the premises with another business (my brothers business) and they have just got a new electric vehicle of which we need to charge nightly so again our high kWh is not good!

Any idea of a get out? What if I change my trading name, Npower say that a new contract has to be done. What if I tell them my brothers company are taking over the electric due to their increased usage...will they be able to get a new, better tariff?

I’m desperate for any ideas as going from 9000kwh a year to around 35000kwh is going to hurt on the high rates!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback