Parcel delivery firms: who are the best and worst?

Options
Former_MSE_Debs
Former_MSE_Debs Posts: 890 Forumite
edited 2 January 2014 at 3:24PM in MoneySaving polls
Poll started 2 Jan 2014

Parcel delivery horror stories range from no-shows to “they threw the goods over the fence” or “they lied that we weren't in”. Last year, we asked who the good guys and cowboys were – now we want to see if anything’s changed.

Please rate your overall experiences with these major firms (don’t rate if you haven’t used them).

Did you vote? Why did you pick that option? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click this

Comments

• kingmidas1962
    Options
    Lots of people seem to have had Yodel nightmares! I've had expensive items (trainers) just plopped on the doorstep and catalogue deliveries deposited in the bin.

Hermes have been great because I've known the delivery lady for years and she will drop off and pick up if I'm not home, leave things in the shed and collect from an agreed collection point when I'm not around - so it may depend on the individual couriers and whether they can be bothered or not ...
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I think it's still hard to find a good word said about Yodel, though they were ahead of schedule on a delivery I had from them about a month ago, which made a nice change.

I've come to the conclusion that if you're a frequent user of delivery services, they will probably all let you down eventually. It seems so much down to the quality of the drivers and it seems to be the kind of business where there's a "race to the bottom" in terms of wages and conditions, so I'm not optimistic that standards will improve.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We tend to get the same courier when ordering from QVC and he is fantastic, he often brings things from other companies as well, I'm not sure who employs him but he is fantastic, I'll have to ask next time as he uses his personal vehicle/unmarked vehicle.

I've had very good experience with UPS as well.

Yodel is the worst for us, my partners company phone, an Iphone 5 resulted in multiple 'loses' 7 in total, she even saw one being pocketed on the driveway, but she couldn't get in her wheelchair and out of the house quick enough.
  • simonhunter87
    Options
    the best delivery service for me is Amazon Lockers. Quick, easy, automated and i live in a block of flats so I never actually get any missed delivery slips etc from other couriers.

Also Phoenix Delivery used my Co-operative Electrical is really good. Next day delivery and they SMS you a 1 hour time slot the evening before.
  • littleredhen
    littleredhen Posts: 3,280 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 January 2014 at 1:29PM
    Options
    Yodel worst
    The local postmen and women are brilliant, they always try and leave any parcels with a neighbour but if not my local collection point is close by anyway so no hassle
    The mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work unless it’s open.:o

A winner listens, a loser just waits until it is their turn to talk:)
  • littleredhen
    littleredhen Posts: 3,280 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In fact last time yodel delivered to where I work they left the parcel outside in the pouring rain, I phoned the company who sent the goods and told them to get another carrier to deliver for them!!
    The mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work unless it’s open.:o

A winner listens, a loser just waits until it is their turn to talk:)
  • scottme
    scottme Posts: 86 Forumite
    Options
    Results so far bear out my impression that Yodel are the worst and DPD possibly the best. My own stories:
    • Yodel recently squashed an expensive laser printer into my wheelie bin, leaving a card through the door saying it was in a "safe place". Luckily it wasn't a waste collection day.
    • DPD have an excellent tracking website so you can follow your delivery's progress and know more or less exactly when to expect the bell to ring. UPS and the rest can't seem to give you any clue as to what time of day their driver might turn up.
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I second the comment about Amazon Lockers - very efficient and convenient. It's just a shame they can't deliver everything to the lockers, and that other companies don't have a similar system.
  • taxitaxitaxi
    Options
    How can this poll be accurate when all Collect Plus Parcels are delivered by Yodel, Yodel get bad rating and Collect Plus get a good one ?
  • So some parcel companies only deliver premium services others are used by retailers to deliver the lowest cost services possible so they can offer free deliveries. A service that folks on this forum will applaud.

So when you get your free delivery that takes 3 days to arrive please do not compare it with the 15 minute delivery slot you got from the retailer who added £5.00 plus to your order. You get what you pay for but this is determined by the retailer not the carrier.

For the avoidance of doubt I am not saying it is acceptable for a free delivery to be a problematic delivery. Just don't expect all the bells and whistles for a free delivery.

Yodel and Hermes tend to get pigeon-holed as poor providers when they are in fact delivering to the low price specification they have contacted with the retailers to ensure a free delivery option is available to you the consumer.

Also I understand that when a retailer's web site offers customers to suggest a likely safe place, the single largest request is recycling bin because it hides the parcel and keeps it dry. So what should the delivery driver do...the vast majority of leave safe options are recycling or wheelie bins...yet on so many consumer feedback fora this is seen as a lazy and stupid choice chosen by the delivery driver....

Before anybody asks,....yes I do work in the industry and am proud to do so. Tens of millions of parcels are delivered every day and the vast majority without incident. In the UK we have the best range of parcel carriers in the world and this is amazing given we have the lowest margins in the world. Most parcels are delivered across the country for prices less than a pint of beer paid to the carrier and margins are pennies - if lucky. So, if folk want better then recognise free delivery will not give you this and you need to pay a price that will allow the parcel carriers to invest in improvements.

My vote is all parcel carriers are acceptable to good.

Thanks to all those trolls who take delight in making this a meaningless survey. However, you trolls probably achieve your aim by depressing lots of delivery drivers who work their socks off to provide a good service and see themselves described "cow boys"

I can predict the outcome of this survey...but then any one with a brain can do. You can't compare parcel carriers being paid less than a price of a pint per parcel with those being paid more than a good bottle of wine eg compare Hermes to DHL international. It would be like doing a survey to ask which is better a Mondeo or a Rolls Royce. I for one prefer the value for money of a Mondeo but I recognise it will not have the external appeal of a Rolls Royce.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure