Fight back against over-priced cosmetics! Post your cheap but outstanding discoveries

Options

Comments

• Unity
    Unity Posts: 1,524 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

I use Collection 2000 clear mascara too but I use it to keep my brows in shape. Once coloured and looking great, I just brush this over them and it keeps them looking good all day.

Can I ask what you used to colour your brows?

If I'm off somewhere special I use Benefit's 'Brow Zings', but for day to day I always go back to Rimmel's dark brown eye brow pencil - the one with the brush on the end.

My reason for asking is that I've always needed to pencil in extra, rather than pluck hairs out - a case of follicly challenged eyebrows, if we're being PC :rotfl:.

Some people hear voices, some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever :D
  • Money_saving_Diva_2
    Options
    Actually I use mine to colour as I am very pale but my mother also uses the same pencil to fill in her sparse areas. It's the best we have ever used and when I tell you she is a brunette naturally and I am a natural fair blonde, and we use the same one, I hope that will show how good it is. Ok, it isn't the cheapest but it isn't the most expensive either. It's from QVC - the brand is Models Prefer. It's clever because the harder you press it, the darker it becomes which is why it's good for both me and my mother who are very different.

I will put the link here in case you want to check them out. there is a video demonstration too. I used to use highly expensive brow pencils to get the shade I wanted, but this works a treat.

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail/params.item.213416/walk.yah.UKHB-U073
    To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
    If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best...
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.
  • Dustykitten
    Dustykitten Posts: 16,503 Forumite
    Options
    Diane60 wrote: »
    I bought the day & night cream which are fine, so i thought i would give their roll on deoderant a try. Please avoid this. I have ruined quite a few tops as it leaves white marks on clothes that haven't been removed even after washing. Sometimes I buy "Simple" deo, which works. Can anyone else recommend a good one?

Have you tried pouring neat white vinegar on the white stains? Leave for 10 minutes and then put through the washing machine - worked on my tops.
    The birds of sadness may fly overhead but don't let them nest in your hair
  • Unity
    Unity Posts: 1,524 Forumite
    Options
    Actually I use mine to colour as I am very pale but my mother also uses the same pencil to fill in her sparse areas. It's the best we have ever used and when I tell you she is a brunette naturally and I am a natural fair blonde, and we use the same one, I hope that will show how good it is. Ok, it isn't the cheapest but it isn't the most expensive either. It's from QVC - the brand is Models Prefer. It's clever because the harder you press it, the darker it becomes which is why it's good for both me and my mother who are very different.

I will put the link here in case you want to check them out. there is a video demonstration too. I used to use highly expensive brow pencils to get the shade I wanted, but this works a treat.

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail/params.item.213416/walk.yah.UKHB-U073

Hi, Money Saving Diva, thanks for that, I followed the link and came to the eye-liners, so are these what you use for your brows as well? I wasn't sure - but that's especially great if it's one product that does two jobs.:T
    Some people hear voices, some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever :D
  • Money_saving_Diva_2
    Options
    Eeeek! No, sorry honey, that was a tired woman, trying to find the link in a hurry...lol

Ok, I rang them this morning and they are out of stock (apparently the brow pencils are the highest selling item from Models Prefer), so I will keep an eye out and when they are back in stock I will ping you, if that is Ok and then you can have a look and see what you think. I used to use their entire range of cosmetics and they are all fabulous.
    To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.
  • Bargain_Rzl
    Bargain_Rzl Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    St Ives facial scrubs (and some other St Ives products) are currently on BOGOF at Tesco :j :j :j

Hope this is of use to somebody, and apologies if it's already been posted.
    :)Operation Get in Shape :)
    MURPHY'S NO MORE PIES CLUB MEMBER #124
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Enjoying all the tips for good performance cheap cosmetics - Has anyone tried the Lidl Iseree Intensive Anti Wrinkle Cream - its got Retinol in it and UV protection - found it very good:j
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • SuziQ
    SuziQ Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    Options
    I think Models prefer makeup is fab-when they have the TSV large vanity cases at Christmas time they are an absolute steal. My only complaint is that occasionally the packaging can be a bit flimsy!
    Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it!
  • Money_saving_Diva_2
    Options
    Woohooo SusieQ another MP addict! I think the packaging is perhaps the weakest part too, but OMG the quality of the make up is fantastic and it lasts and lasts and lasts. I never seem to run out of anything!! I love the Todays special values too - incredible value.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    SuziQ wrote: »
    I think Models prefer makeup is fab-when they have the TSV large vanity cases at Christmas time they are an absolute steal. My only complaint is that occasionally the packaging can be a bit flimsy!

Im still using the eye shadows from two years ago - dont think i will ever use them up :j

Eyeliners and lippys are fab and the yellow powder, blushers and concealers are just fantastic.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure