Budget tyres or Premium tyres?

Options

Comments

• EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    I've had budgets lots of times and no problems at all with them. If you drive sensibly almost any modern tyre will be good enough.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've had budgets lots of times and no problems at all with them. If you drive sensibly almost any modern tyre will be good enough.

That's fine as long as everyone else drives sensibly as well.

Premium tyres give a much increased safety margin when avoiding action is needed.

Think of the nuns with baskets of kittens - please.
  • gord115
    gord115 Posts: 1,064 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why not buy some part worn premium tyres off a top rated ebay seller.
    I did it with my wifes car and got 2 Pirellis for £100 (205/40x17) with 7mm tread.
    And before people say you don't know what a second hand tyre has been through,surely it is exactly the same risk when you buy a second hand car with used tyres.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    gord115 wrote: »
    Why not buy some part worn premium tyres off a top rated ebay seller.
    I did it with my wifes car and got 2 Pirellis for £100 (205/40x17) with 7mm tread.
    And before people say you don't know what a second hand tyre has been through,surely it is exactly the same risk when you buy a second hand car with used tyres.

There is a slightly higher risk because some part worn tyres come from cars that have been written off in an accident so have a slightly higher risk of being damaged. But as long as you checked the tyres fully before getting them fitted then their is unlikely to be any problems.
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Iceweasel wrote: »
    That's fine as long as everyone else drives sensibly as well.

That really depends on how effective your defensive driving is.

I don't believe that, in over 30 years of varied motoring, I've "just been lucky" yet I've never been caught out by anyone else's stupidity. I've seen plenty of it, but never been "unable to avoid it".

If that's pure lick I should be a lottery millionaire by now!
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    43 years in my case
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    43 years in my case

Genuine thanks given for that one, I've been feeling a little old lately but suddenly I feel my yoof returning :rotfl:
  • Eldog
    Eldog Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    I've never gone for budget tyres. It must be noted that there are plenty of big brands out there with reasonably priced 'premium' tyres. I'd recommend Uniroyal RainSport 3 for a mid-range priced option.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Joe_Horner wrote: »
    That really depends on how effective your defensive driving is.

I don't believe that, in over 30 years of varied motoring, I've "just been lucky" yet I've never been caught out by anyone else's stupidity. I've seen plenty of it, but never been "unable to avoid it".

If that's pure lick I should be a lottery millionaire by now!

I've never been caught out by others' stupidity either - but in over a million miles and 52 years of driving all over the world (including 'Wacky Races' in Saudi Arabia and Egypt) I've had to take severe avoiding action quite a few times.

I wouldn't have the same confidence in budget tyres over premium tyres - especially in the wet.
  • gord115
    gord115 Posts: 1,064 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Eldog wrote: »
    I've never gone for budget tyres. It must be noted that there are plenty of big brands out there with reasonably priced 'premium' tyres. I'd recommend Uniroyal RainSport 3 for a mid-range priced option.

I've just put these on my Golf R after my son recommended them.
    They replaced Bridgestone Potenza that are OE.

In the dry they are almost as good but in the wet(most of the time here oop north) they are phenominal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure