PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Decluttering 2012, this year, definitely ...

Options

Comments

• PudseyDB
    PudseyDB Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Options
    Good morning all, my de-cluttering seems to be minimal (the only thing in my life I think) during the week.
    I read somewhere that there is a link between clutterers and carrying some extra weight. Be interesting to hear others thoughts on this.
    DM

I agree.....mine all escalated out of control after my youngest child was born 6 years ago. Sadly he died when he was born and for ooooh 2 years probably I only did the very minimum of housework etc, spent hours on the internet and of course things mounted up. :(

OH coped by getting new windows fitted which meant lots of things were moved. Years later, I used to find clothes that I'd bought my older son shoved away and forgotten about so then far too small.

I still have bad days now, so sometimes I get more done than others. I guess sorting through the clutter - whilst painful at times - hopefully will help the healing process. Luckily I've done a lot of the most painful stuff now - the pram, cot, baby toys etc have all gone - but I know there's still a cupboard in our bedroom that has baby boy clothes in :(
    Judi wrote: »
    I like the idea of a shelf and it would mean moving my stuff and his [STRIKE]carp[/STRIKE] useful items into other drawers but i do like a clear floor space.
    I must admit, i'm making progress in the house but i'm having to fight Mr Judi all the way as he doesnt like change.... Talking about Mr Judi. Has anyone got any useful ideas as how i can talk him into letting me chuck out a clock we have on the wall? We bought it about 10 years ago and its a windup thing. Unfortunately he put it up too high for me and i cant reach to wind it up without breaking my neck so it sits there for three quarters of the year not working as he works away. I hated it when he bought it. He says he aint binning it cause it cost too much but thats not a good enough reason to keep it is it?

Would he be willing to let it go if you could sell it? Either that or get him to shift it - a clock thats not working is soooo annoying!!
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    :wave:
  • PudseyDB
    PudseyDB Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Options
    short_bird wrote: »
    Ditch 100 in January Challenge
    52) 880 pages of a Stephen King book read and in charity bag....:D

:eek: that's a big book!! What was it, and any good? :D
    :wave:
  • ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ticklpenny - love the name - I think you have rather a lot on your plate to start with hunny so dont worrry if you are not as organised as you want to be. Possibly if you could make a short list of what you would like to achieve in a month for example. Small steps are best with your load.
    Maybe a box for stuff to chuck and one for stuff to donate and as you go along during the days fill them up. OH could watch the babies for 1/2 an hour with you pootling around the 3 of them 'doing a bit of tidying'. Really you need to give yourself a pat on the back for keeping to a routine at all :)
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
  • GreenQueen
    Options
    Hi, Ticklepenny,

Who looks after the children on your work days? Is it possible (practically and financially) to extend this so you get half a day/a day when the children are looked after and you can spend some time around the house/ go to a class/ go swimming/ something that would make your life easier and boost you for the rest of the week?

Don't know how much adult contact you have - however much you love your LOs, toddler conversation can make you feel as if your brain is seeping out of your ears! When I was at home with a LO I always tried to get out every day - mum and toddler groups, walks in the park or a visit to a garden centre - my DD could look at the guinea pigs in the pet section for hours and never realised they were available to buy!

GQ
    2021 - mission declutter and clean - 0/2021
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Have you tried looking at the flylady thread on here? (new one every week - but it goes really fast, so don't read all the posts!!) You could start off on level ones. It might not work for you, but it could be worth a try.

Just surviving sometimes is enough - and youreally do have a lot on your plate. Maybe 15 minutes a day decluttering a specific area (one drawer/ 1 shelf etc) and ensuring taht one is tidy teh next da before moving on to the next drawer. After a couple of weeks of doing this (and keeping the sirted areas tidy!) things start to look a lot better (honest!) Baby steps and all of that.. x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You've got loads on your plate so don't beat yourself up.

Come and join us on the friendly Messies thread HERE - we are all cluttered up to our eyeballs and motivate eachother to get things sorted... We have a great giggle on there too esp once we start comparing who has the untidiest bedroom/sofa etc :D
  • spiddy100
    spiddy100 Posts: 582 Forumite
    Options
    A bag of bath toys have left the building :) Collected by a Freecycler this morning. I have a bag of books and worksheets which I am going to offer to the kids' school at pick-up time. Have spent 3 hours (!) this morning clearing a huge bag of old receipts from under the desk and also doing my filing. Not quite finished but I am getting there.
    That man is richest whose pleasures are cheapest. Henry David Thoreau
  • Mumof2_2
    Mumof2_2 Posts: 2,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 January 2012 at 2:48PM
    Options
    Been attacking the kids drawers and book shelves - have listed around 30 books/puzzles etc on Netmums but won't put them down until they've gone. Here's what's leaving (or will be next time I pass the CS!):

* 2 carrier bags full of broken toys/bits of carp I found in the drawers :o

* 15 items I'm going to put in bag for when I next go to the charity shop

House doesn't look like I've touched it clutter wise but I know that bit by bit I am making progress.

ETA Just found 2 shoe boxes gone in cardboard recycling and some magazines too
    Flymarkeeteer: £168 and counting
  • basketcase
    basketcase Posts: 1,106 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    short_bird wrote: »
    Ditch 100 in January Challenge
    52) 880 pages of a Stephen King book read and in charity bag....:D

READING as a decluttering tool! I like your style, short_bird... :beer:
    A budget is like a speed sign - a LIMIT not a TARGET!!

CHALLENGES
    2024 Grocery Challenge: Q1 £37.83/£660
    2024 NSDs: Jan 1/12
    2024 Decluttering 24 containers/month: Jan 10/24
    Weight Loss: 0/24lbs
    2024 Fashion on the Ration: 0/66
    24 for 2024
  • spiddy100
    spiddy100 Posts: 582 Forumite
    Options
    PudseyDB, so very sorry to hear of your loss. I do hope that the process of clearing out your home is a positive thing for you - if I say a "fresh start" I don't mean that you would ever forget what you have been through or the loss of your little one, but maybe it will give you a chance to enjoy the present day a bit more, and to look forward to some of the good things that are yet to come? I really hope so, thinking of you x
    That man is richest whose pleasures are cheapest. Henry David Thoreau
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport