Crazy Cat Lady Chapter 2 - Groundhog Day

Options

Comments

• Eager_Elephant
    Eager_Elephant Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My daughter is now 13 but when she was younger she was exactly like your DS - the problem with my DD was tiredness. Even now if she does not get enough sleep she is like a Tasmanian devil through the house.

Last month she threw her xbox controller at the wall and then got upset because it broke, I made her get a new one from her Xmas money -it cost her £45. Hopefully she won't do that again.

When my DD was 7 she would be in bed by 7 - 7.30pm. It is hard when you are a working parent as no sooner have you collected them from childcare then you are putting them to bed.

For me the fear of what she was like when tired was enough to keep her in the routine. In the holidays we used to let her stay up but that always stopped after a few days as tiredness got the better of her and we could not cope with her moods.

Even now at 13 she is in her room by 9 - 9.30, she has her tablet and phone and TV if she wants but she stops when she is tired.
    In the holidays she is in her room by 9.30pm and asleep by 10.30pm - she tells me she is getting up about 10am (we leave for work at 8am) so getting loads of sleep.

She had a sleep over last week and was so shattered she went to sleep at 8.30pm.

I'm just wondering if you could all do with getting into a bedtime routine? DS to hopefully control his temper and you to hopefully help with the low mood and tiredness.
    I am always amazed by people who aren't in bed by 10.30pm!! If I don't have a decent nights sleep then I can't manage the next day. If I didn't go to bed until everything was done I would never get to bed - housework will still be there tomorrow!!

Have a good break away!!
  • *Robin*
    *Robin* Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    Hello Cat Lady, :hello:

Is that Tortie in your 'photo? ..She looks gorgeous - but torties are always 'cats of character' - aka 'trouble!' - aren't they? Very rewarding though, never boring.. Anyway I hope it doesn't take you long to pay off the results of her latest escapade at the vet's - am sure she's worth it.. :)

Your DS reminds me of my DS3 at the same age - a right handful! EE's suggestion that he's getting over-tired sounds about right, but I'm also wondering if he wouldn't benefit from learning a martial art?
    It teaches self-control, respect, and most of all how not to resort to violence, plus gives the child a pool of other responsible adults who will undoubtedly be a good influence.. Your DS is at the ideal age to begin training; any of the disciplines available locally would be valuable - my boys ended up learning several different ones over the years which helped enormously with self confidence, avoiding bullies and learning good boundaries.
    For me a bonus during early years was that they returned from 'club nights' healthily exhausted; it was never a problem getting them into bed afterwards! ;)
  • crazy_cat_lady
    crazy_cat_lady Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi EE - and thanks for your wise words as always. I think that you're dead right - he's a so and so when he's tired. I must make more of an effort. It's hard though - as you say I feel as though I don't see him during term time.
    And hello Robin - lovely to see you here :hello: Yes, that's her in the picture. Trouble but I love her to bits. It's a good idea about the martial arts - I may look into it if he's interested. My bil suggested boxing the other day but I wasn't really listening to him (we don't get along that well).
    So, today has been eventful. I had a very restless night last night and was up for a 9am post op check up at the vet. It wasn't great - Tortie has lost half a kilo since her op (and she's tiny to start with) and she has an infection in her mouth. Another £39 and loads more meds. Worst thing is - we're going away tomorrow for a couple of days - but I am leaving her in the capable hands of my bestie - who has 5 cats of her own so knows what she's doing. I went to pets at home and spent £18 on various different food for her to try and eat. Sheba looks like the winner so far - my purse is not happy with me.
    Also went through with upgrading my phone. It's been out of contract for ages, but I've been fine with it. Today they made me an offer I couldn't refuse - an upgrade with no extra charges to what I already pay - so I went for it. There are perhaps some benefits to loyalty after all.
    Also did a good deed of picking up some school polo shirts from Mr S for a friend who I'm visiting next week who doesn't live anywhere near Mr S but loves their shirts for her kids...
    Then got home, set up phones, washed dishes, put washing out, made lunch and then sat down for a bit. I am tired. Feel like I'm missing out on time with dh because he stays up so late then sleeps all day but then I just can't keep up.
    Right then - best get on. I need to check on the cat, and see if my washing has dried and start thinking about packing.
    Have a good day all :wave:
  • juliejim
    juliejim Posts: 7,943 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hope you have a great holiday and you chance to recharge your batteries.

Jue
    NST #10 Steps 7K 2/30 10K 2/12 5 a day 3/30 NSD 0/20
    MBNA £5500
  • crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    Hi all :wave:
    We're back! It was a fab couple of days - couple of little hiccups but overall really good fun. We got home early evening yesterday, but I was just so tired that I left the laptop until today. I unpacked, started the washing etc but I really needed just to rest.
    Naughty tortie is looking lot better than she was before we went away, but there's been no sign at all of our other tortie since we got back, which is very unusual for her indeed. She's normally asleep on the kitchen chairs or sunbathing outside. Bestie saw her yesterday morning when she fed the cats but nothing since... Hope she turns up soon.
    The kids loved Alton Towers. I thought it was quite good, but really expensive. I suppose they can charge what they like for stuff but I was more than a bit shocked that dinner for 4 of us was £68... :eek: And there were a few rides off as well - not that the kids noticed because there was plenty that they could do. We also caught up with dh's uncles who live almost on the way home. I did loads of walking, the kids did lots of pokemon hunting and it was really good to spend some time just the four of us without the stress and tension that there seems to have been over the past few weeks.
    It got me thinking - I have a big birthday coming up next year. And I think I would like to celebrate it with the four of us going away somewhere for a couple of days. Not sure where yet, but somewhere that I would enjoy that has activities for the kids as well. I was thinking perhaps centerparcs, but not sure if there's anything else similar/cheaper etc. Suppose I should start investigating.
    Right. I have tutoring this morning but I want to try and get caught up on here before I go, so I'll report in later.
  • mumblingtaff
    mumblingtaff Posts: 1,826 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Cat!!!
    Didn't realise you had a new diary, sorry I've not been reading but have subscribed now :)
    We've had a week off now and I've done absolutely b*gger all in terms of school work so far. I'm starting tomorrow ..... Famous last words...

Good to hear that tortie is getting better and fingers crossed that the other naughty one comes home today - animals eh?..!!!
  • takingcontrolatlast
    Options
    Glad you had a good time - you deserve it :j

I'm pleased tortie is on the mend and I'm sure the other tortie will turn up soon - I hate it when my cat isnt in her usual "place" - they do like to keep us cat owners on our toes!!
  • crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    Haaa, MT - I did all my book marking and planned first week back before we broke up for summer. I'm hoping to avoid work for as long as is humanly possible...:D:D:D
    Naughty Tortie 2 did indeed turn up this morning - sunbathing on the driveway as if nothing was a bother. I suspect that she spent the night in our next door neighbour's house and went sunbathing when they went out.
    I have started investigating a few days away for big birthday ahead... I really do object to these much higher prices in the school holidays though. Looked at a few but they are double the price. I don't know if I want a caravan holiday but that may be all that there is in our price range. May need to rethink. Any suggestions gratefully received.
    Finished crocheting baby blanket 2 - 3 more to go for that list.
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Morning,

I just recently booked my GF and I away to a caravan/spa type thing. 2 night was £144 pp for a lodge and use of the onsite spa. I may book her in for a treatment closer to the time as it's for her birthday, but the point I'm making is that there are some very nice caravan sites at affordable rates. I took an hour or so to do some research on 'luxury caravans' in Scotland and that was one that popped up.

Keep us posted on how you get on.
  • Eager_Elephant
    Eager_Elephant Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi CCL

We have used this site in the past - http://www.directholidayhomes.co.uk/

We went to a Haven site in Burnham on Sea, Somerset much cheaper than if we had booked via Haven. We had to pay for our entertainment passes separately.
    The good thing was that as we were considered an 'owner' we were allowed to use the swimming pools when the general public weren't and also we used to get cheaper breakfasts in the restaurant.

We booked 2 years running with the same owner - the caravan was definitely a higher standard than normal Haven ones.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure