PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Quinces: Anyone know about making quince jelly please?

Options

Comments

• thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I didn't really follow a recipe I'm afraid, but this is what I did ;)

I bought a 1.5 litre bottle of Tesco's vodka.
    I grated 3 large quinces, peel, cores and all.
    I put the vodka into 2 large jars with half the quince and 2/3 cup of sugar in each.
    Screwed the lids on and have put them in the garage for 2 months. Should be ready for Christmas :D

HTH:)
  • frankie1star
    Options
    I have searched the recipe forum, with no luck, does anyone have a tried and tested method, as I have acquired some quices today, and I need to convert them to jelly, quick. What should they look like, how firm/ripe should they be
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi frankie,

There's an older thread that should help you so I've merged your thread with it to keep all the suggestions together. apprentice tycoon has also posted a recipe for quince preserve on this thread:

What is a Quince?

Pink
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    This post might help you Frankie -the basic method is the same for any fruit ;)http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=2633078#post2633078

I've yet to pick my quinces this year. I still have some jelly from last year and I've already got shelves bursting with crab apple jelly, blackberry jelly and blackcurrant jam I'm not sure I need quince jelly as well. I think I'm going to stew most of them and turn them into puree to have with yogurt/cream or to add to apples. I'm definitely doing the vodka again though :D

Good luck with your qunices Frankie ;)
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,565 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    thriftlady wrote: »
    I didn't really follow a recipe I'm afraid, but this is what I did ;)

I bought a 1.5 litre bottle of Tesco's vodka.
    I grated 3 large quinces, peel, cores and all.
    I put the vodka into 2 large jars with half the quince and 2/3 cup of sugar in each.
    Screwed the lids on and have put them in the garage for 2 months. Should be ready for Christmas :D

HTH:)
    ##########
    Hello thriftlady - a year on from your original posts, but it IS that time of year and I have 10 quinces(9lbs/4.5k weight apx)
    I don't have '2 large jars' with screw lids. Suggested substitutes please?
    Is it the glass or screw top element that's more important?
    Or both?
    Could I use a large glazed crock(no lid to it)and cover it some other way?
    Several layers of cling film, tightly fastened?
    Finally, did you filter it after 2 months and then bottle?
    I'll do jelly and would like to do pâté des coings with the pulp, or will I have to throw this away and use whole quinces?
    All help appreciated - thankyou.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• thriftlady_2
    Options
    Hi Ampersand,
    I don't think the glass jars are essential. This year I'd already used my jars for damson gin so I put the quince vodka back in the vodka bottle plus another empty bottle which had a screw top. I think the screwtop helps as it is a good idea to give them the odd shake now and again (sorry, don't think I mentioned that in my original post -not vital though). I think your suggestion of cling film will work ;)

If you use ordinary spirit bottles it will obviously take some time and effort to stuff the grated quince into them. I was cursing myself for not investing in a couple of large preserving jars. I think a crock will be fine, these are the sort of jars used for making rumtopf or hodgkin after all, and that is the same principle (alcohol and fruit).

Yes, I did strain the quince vodka at Christmas. I strained it twice into a big bowl before putting it back in the original vodka bottles. There is a certain amount of sediment with quince vodka. you will find it looks quite cloudy and bitty. But leave it to settle and you get a lovely clear golden drink with some sediment at the bottom, so pour carefully.

As for the pate de coings (or quince cheese in english and membrillo in Spanish:) ) I haven't tried this yet but I'm pretty sure you can use the pulp from making jelly. In fact, a quick google reveals this page which confirms that you can. I wish I hadn't chucked my jelly pulp now http://www.cottagesmallholder.com/?p=467
    HTH and enjoy your vodka :D
  • ampersand
    Options
    Great minds, thriftlady, and thankyou - I had found http://www.cottagesmallholder.com/?p=467 in the interim and suddenly a rather large amount of time had passed as I roamed through some pleasurable reading there. Am supposedly enduring enforced immobility for a fair while, but one has to move at times - cabin fever et al - and today was a grey soul-destroyer.
    I've realised I'll need to core the quinces if I'm to moneysavingly use the pulp for pâté afterwards.
    Someone's tip re:ironing the muslin/straining cloth for sterilising is so obvious now I've read it - never occurred to me before.
    Have just mashed the pulp - now to strain.
    Thankyou again.
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• thriftlady_2
    Options
    ampersand wrote: »
    I've realised I'll need to core the quinces if I'm to moneysavingly use the pulp for pâté afterwards.
    Someone's tip re:ironing the muslin/straining cloth for sterilising is so obvious now I've read it - never occurred to me before.
    Have just mashed the pulp - now to strain.
    Thankyou again.

That is a good tip about ironing the muslin, thanks.

I'd forgotten about the cores too -that's why I make jelly, no peeling or coring. Oh well, I might get round to quince cheese one of these days.
  • ampersand
    Options
    GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Although I had 6 strands of wool around muslin to string up mash for straining, it still broke and lurched bowl & juice over ironing board,cascading down kitchen cupboard. In fact, loss looks worse than it is, as always with spillage.
    Double braid also broke, but I was prepared.
    Big petersham ribbon next;it's dripping away decently now.
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***

• Lindsey_Glasman
    Options
    I was given some quinces and made some nice-loooking jelly (Mary Norwalk recipe). But...what do we eat it with? Is it a jam sandwich type of thing, or an accompaniment to meats, cheeses etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure