Selling electrical item on shpock

Options

Comments

• Hermione_Granger
    Options
    But as this is a public forum and not a contract involving small print, does it really matter if someone uses the word Hoover as a generic term on here?
    After all, isn't to "hoover up" a generally accepted phrase in common usage nowadays?
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    But as this is a public forum and not a contract involving small print, does it really matter if someone uses the word Hoover as a generic term on here?
    After all, isn't to "hoover up" a generally accepted phrase in common usage nowadays?

Well I wonder....

Does it matter if a buyer needs a certificate of posting or a proof of delivery? I ask, only because lots of buyers think they are one and the same.

Of course it matters if you are giving advice or an answer (as I was) rather than just posting for the sake of it.

What help did you give?
  • Hermione_Granger
    Options
    Yes, you did give some advice, you also posted a pedantic comment.
    Correct or not, hoover is a term in general use all over the UK, a term that you yourself have probably used at one time or another.
  • Sam_Fallow
    Sam_Fallow Posts: 923 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hoover has become a genericized trademark or proprietary eponym.

Aspirin, heroin, and thermos are other examples of trademarks that have become genericized.

OP, after 2 months you've no idea what the 'vacuum cleaner' has been used for so you have no responsibility or liability. It was working well at the time of sale. The warranty expired when you shut the door.
    I don't like morning people. Or mornings. Or people.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, you did give some advice, you also posted a pedantic comment.
    Correct or not, hoover is a term in general use all over the UK, a term that you yourself have probably used at one time or another.

Not a term I have ever used. And still you haven't helped the OP.

Again, what is the point of your post?
  • Hermione_Granger
    Options
    Not a term I have ever used.

Never? It took me all of 10 seconds to show otherwise.
    That sound a bit 'carte blanch' for them to be able to close you (and hoover up the balance) at any time. Guess it's time to start afresh.
    Surely you meant "vacuum up the balance"
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=4456521&postcount=28
    The point of my post was simply to advise the OP that most people see nothing at all wrong with using the term Hoover to describe a vacuum cleaner.
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Options
    I think 'theonlywayisup' has secret designs to be a moderator I'm sure many of us regulars see how much time they spend berating others here, while often very helpful I think the petty pedantry does them no favours, especially when it takes over a thread.
  • SJ3005
    SJ3005 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all your responses. The Hoover/vacuum was purchased as a cash sale.

You are also right, as other people I have spoken to have said, I have no idea what they have been using the Hoover/vacuum for.

After 2 months I would not request a refund unless I purchased as new from a shop.

:)
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    As this thread seems to have run its course, I don't think this will derail it further.
    There are a surprising number of terms that were originally trademarked (and many that still are) which are used to describe items from many manufacturers.
    Hoover being the obvious one and as already mentioned by Sam Fallow, Asprin and Thermos.
    A couple of terms that a very large % of the UK population will use on a regular basis are Cashpoint or "hole in the wall", both of which were (and may still be) trademarked terms registered by Lloyds and Barclays respectively.

Sellotape, Durex, Band-aid, Bubble wrap and Memory stick are only a few of the common items that are or were trademarked names.
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,791 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As this thread seems to have run its course, I don't think this will derail it further.
    There are a surprising number of terms that were originally trademarked (and many that still are) which are used to describe items from many manufacturers.
    Hoover being the obvious one and as already mentioned by Sam Fallow, Asprin and Thermos.
    A couple of terms that a very large % of the UK population will use on a regular basis are Cashpoint or "hole in the wall", both of which were (and may still be) trademarked terms registered by Lloyds and Barclays respectively.

Sellotape, Durex, Band-aid, Bubble wrap and Memory stick are only a few of the common items that are or were trademarked names.

I bet you are fun at parties.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport