PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

December 2012 Grocery Challenge!!!!! REALLLY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Options

Comments

• bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am announcing my first plan to spend from December budget tomorrow, lol. My month started last Tuesday and I'm pleased to say because of this thread, I've stayed away from the shops :T I used to do my "big" shop and then another one each week too! But I've not gone in to my budget yet at all. Many thanks to you all for contributing to the thread.

My fridge is empty, though :D and the freezer stuff is being used, as are cupboard bits and bobs, rather than it all just sitting there looking at me!
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • Bunny112
    Options
    Hi all

So our December started last friday (23rd) as that was pay day, and technically only runs until 20th December as I will be paid early due to christmas, but I feel that is cheating so will be keeping track until 24th (my usual pay day) as December!

So this month i'm shooting for £200 again, because we managed to stay under last month, but only just and I feel this was due to some help from Tesco vouchers. So we have done our first bigger shop, and actually went to the supermarket this time as we ran out before we'd realised and hadn't placed our usual online order. I was nervous as this meant it was harder to keep track of what we were spending (we've tried a calculator but usually mess it up) and also OH and I often end up arguing at supermarkets due to stress lol. But it actually went very well, we didn't argue :D and even managed to keep track on the calculator (in fact our calculation was a little higher than the actual total!!). So in all we spent £98 which is less than the £119 I had spent by this time last month, BUT I had bought all the lunch food for the month and this time we only got enough for the first fortnight. Still on target for the moment and I will update any more spends.

Good Luck to All!!
    Debt Amount: £12,000 = Loan
    DFD: Unplanned
  • she_who_can_not_cook
    Options
    Lucyv wrote: »
    Do we include everything we by - cleaning things, pet things, toiletries, clothes?

I need to buy light bulbs tomorrow and milk and fabric conditioner and I don't know if the light bulbs count as groceries? Sorry if this is a stupid question :o
    its up to you lucy i have a sep one for clothes because the joint account pays all the bills i.e gas and elec and food
    Gc 2013 +26 -5. -4 -7 -14 -15 -10.-8.20 +15p+30+5.80 Dec +9 GROCERY challenge 2014 Jan -2Feb -3 March -1.50 April +5.40 May +4.90 June -3.July 16.50/85

God bless my sweet "old man" Goldie that died in the early hours of 27 th March please see him on my avatar
  • stardrops42
    Options
    I had to nip to Aldi on the way home from work tonight for some fruit & veg etc. So need to up my total by another £13.71;)
    Feb GC £80 per week (Well I'm gunna try:whistle:)
    Diet starts today(31/12/16)! Only 18lbs to lose:eek:

4/2/16 - 13lbs to lose:D
    11/2/16 - 12lbs to lose:D
    3/3/16 - 11lbs to lose:D
  • Souk08
    Souk08 Posts: 3,240 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all, December already?! Can I put myself down for £60 this month. This is just for me and for food only. Thanks to all who help with this challenge, as always.
    'The road to a friends house is never long'
  • VickyV
    VickyV Posts: 247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I managed a NSD today even though the chocolate machine was calling to me, and was very pleased with myself until I got home and found that OH had bought milk :(. He did, however, make a lovely fruit cake with bits and bobs from the cupboards on Sunday :D! I made a big batch of potato pancakes, to go with the sausage and bean stew, with some leftover mash, some flour, a couple of eggs and some milk that needed using! Quite a few left for the morning too! Yum!
    x
    Grocery challenge:December 2022 £151.96/£400 . Advent decluttering challenge 47/240.
  • MrsCD
    MrsCD Posts: 1,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    Options
    XSpender wrote: »
    I am not planning anymore spends until the weekend. The flooding is bad here today and one entrance to the estate is flooded and I can hear the river roaring behind my house:eek:
    XSpender - I hope you are ok and the water keeps away.
    Sabrina237 wrote: »
    Hi all. Does anyone know the cheapest way of making a Christmas cake please? Already have the icing, marzipan and jam, so just need a good cheap cake recipe please?
    I use this recipe every year -http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/what-should-you-be-cooking-this-month/the-classic-christmas-cake.html - (sorry the link hasn't worked like it should. You'll have to copy/paste)
    - it's easier than it looks and it works. You can use cheap shop's own fruit (I do), and I don't bother with the brandy or the nuts.
    Make sure you line the tin really well inside and outside - fasten brown paper around with string, and put a sheet of paper over the top to stop it browning too quickly.
    2024 Fashion on the ration 32/66 used
  • armchairexpert
    armchairexpert Posts: 822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 November 2012 at 12:21AM
    Options
    This month is all over the place for me - two interstate trips to visit relatives, one for Christmas and one for a funeral, which means less food than usual but also less time to get organised and batch cook. And my girls are having a birthday party the first weekend of December, so there's special food for that, and it all adds up to I Have No Idea. I'm feeling down about the whole budgeting thing, to be honest: my husband's father died suddenly last week, overseas, and we had to scramble for last minute passports and airfares and it's screwed up my debt repayment goal. I know that's petty in the face of such sadness - I don't resent the money we've had to spend at all, I'm glad we've been sticking to a budget so the credit was available to us - but I am very much 'what's the point' about worrying about dollars and cents today.

However! No point thinking that way. Onwards.

So please put me down for $AU800, since my November experience suggests that should be the budget I'm aiming for, and I'll use it as a monitoring tool this month so I can start January fresh and clear.
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
  • medsdemon
    Options
    Hi all. Just popped to to report a couple of spends. OH nipped into A!di after work yesterday and spent £6.09. I bought stirfry veg and sauce for £2.69 from coop for yesterdays dinner and clingfilm and a cake box frm P£undland for £2.00 so will add that to my sig.
    Grocery challenge October: £228.28/£250.00 NSD 4 ( not completed)
    Grocery challenge November : £291.65/300.00 NSD 10
    Grocery challenge December : £0/240.00 NSD
  • gien
    gien Posts: 1,649 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, 52.95 euro spend yesterday in ALD!. so Total now running at 130.20 already :o
    Trying to keep in budget.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport