PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Is your heating ON or OFF?

Options

Comments

• Nomoonatall
    Nomoonatall Posts: 1,173 Forumite
    Options
    I only have rubbish storage heaters. Tested one the other day...it worked. Turned it off again the next day! Waiting for a few weeks or I won't 'feel the benefit'!

I'll then pretend it's a roaring log fire. Maybe.
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    We,ve had the wood burner on but not the main heating - it's free fuel and hubby is a carpenter, we always have wood :)
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Still off at the moment thank goodness,extra throw over my knees in the evening if I'm watching TV, and a hot pot of tea at my elbow for a warm drink to wash down a couple of ginger nut biscuits (my treat to myself :):):))Hoping to make it another couple of weeks until November before having to turn it on.
  • CathA
    CathA Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not on here either and we've not had the calor gas heater on either. Loads of people I know have it on tho, toughen up, it's character building! X
  • Nomoonatall
    Options
    CathA wrote: »
    Not on here either and we've not had the calor gas heater on either. Loads of people I know have it on tho, toughen up, it's character building! X

Umm, I toughened up quite a lot last Winter...top temp was 12 degrees in my home. It's not good.

If you need heating, put it on! x
  • Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Blackbeard_of_Perranporth Posts: 7,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 16 October 2016 at 3:46PM
    Options
    on, 24 hours a day. Controlled by the electronic thermostat.

It is only in the UK that we spend thousands of pounds on a furnace capable of producing 75,000 btu/h and then thrill ourselves with senseless thermostatic radiator valves creating cold zones in our house, where condensation and damp appear like magic.

If you don't like it, live in a cave!
    CathA wrote: »
    toughen up, it's character building! X
    Good, I expect you will not be putting on until the temperature reached -10C?
    Myself, I pay for the heat, I am going to use it,
  • Nomoonatall
    Options
    on, 24 hours a day. Controlled by the electronic thermostat.

It is only in the UK that we spend thousands of pounds on a furnace capable of producing 75,000 btu/h and then thrill ourselves with senseless thermostatic radiator valves creating cold zones in our house, where condensation and damp appear like magic.

If you don't like it, live in a cave!

Oh to be controlled by an electronic thermostat!

I reckon I'd have been more comfortable in a cave last year!
    Storage heaters are hell! You have to plan in advance, then you'll still be nippy at night.

For anybody struggling, Stock up on candles and place them in front of mirrors...you can pretend it's warmer than it is! When cooking something in the oven, place large stones in there as well..remove them when hot and place in a metal container to warm up the area near you.

Stay warm! x
  • beedeedee
    beedeedee Posts: 991 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ours is ON and will stay on during the daytime/evening till near the middle of next year I expect. We don't do cold, I'm afraid.......
    We also don't do Direct Debits for things we have control over, such as usage. I put a certain amount each month into an (albeit small) interest earning account and pay our bill each month online. I hardly pay anything from June to September, but have cash in pocket instead. It works for us!
  • Nomoonatall
    Options
    beedeedee wrote: »
    Ours is ON and will stay on during the daytime/evening till near the middle of next year I expect. We don't do cold, I'm afraid.......
    We also don't do Direct Debits for things we have control over, such as usage. I put a certain amount each month into an (albeit small) interest earning account and pay our bill each month online. I hardly pay anything from June to September, but have cash in pocket instead. It works for us!

Well done! x

I don't really have a choice. Only electric here and have opted for the best option regarding suppliers and deals.

I received a rebate a couple of months ago. I would have preferred the money to stay in the electricity account so that I could afford the Winter bills, without noticing. Nope, they'd sooner put up the monthly payments.

It's hard work staying warm...thinking about exercising, but I'd faint! x
  • FrugalinShropshire
    Options
    We have lit the log burner a couple of times and the calor gas heater too. They are off at the moment. I put Dad'S electric heater on 750 kw for him as he has just had a week in respite where there is 24 hr wall to wall heating. I will turn it off in a couple of hours as with the door shut and curtains drawn he is very toasty.
    Now Mrs FrugalinShropshire:T Proud to be mortgage and debt free:j
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure