MSE News: MSE Big Energy Switch Event 5: British Gas £300/yr saving for new &...

Options

Comments

• brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,513 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Reading the last couple of pages of this thread brings on a sense of deja vu - anyone else remember the 100s of posts re EON accounts and meter readings ~ 2 years ago?? EXACTLY the same issues:rotfl:
  • Raine_E_Day
    Options
    Gizmo247 wrote: »
    I just got off the phone with BG as I noticed this morning that the electricity service had disappeared off my account. The lady at BG confirmed that both fuel were still being switched but that I had not provided any first readings which I had via the online service. She was adamant that I needed to phone them though so I gave her the historical readings for the switch date.

She then transferred me to IT support to discuss the missing electricity service. That lady there said that the account registration process had been triggered too early and recommended that we should stay off the online and app service until we get an email saying the setup was complete and providing us with our customer number starting with "8".

She also checked the database and the online readings that I had provided online were actually there so all is ready to go.

Apparently the reading window is open until the 13th Oct and that true account activation will occur shortly after that.

Thanks for posting this. I was just about to phone as my electricity details have disappeared too but I will now wait and see what happens later this week. Strange business practice to send (many) emails suggesting you set up online account, submit metre readings and then tell you not to look at it!
    “Rain drops are not the ones who bring the clouds.”
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Gizmo247 wrote: »
    I just got off the phone with BG as I noticed this morning that the electricity service had disappeared off my account. The lady at BG confirmed that both fuel were still being switched but that I had not provided any first readings which I had via the online service. She was adamant that I needed to phone them though so I gave her the historical readings for the switch date.

She then transferred me to IT support to discuss the missing electricity service. That lady there said that the account registration process had been triggered too early and recommended that we should stay off the online and app service until we get an email saying the setup was complete and providing us with our customer number starting with "8".

She also checked the database and the online readings that I had provided online were actually there so all is ready to go.

Apparently the reading window is open until the 13th Oct and that true account activation will occur shortly after that.

Same thing here. Have been asked for readings - and have supplied them - three times. Yesterday they confirmed that they had all three pairs of readings - and which pair did I want them to use :rotfl:

This morning the electricity account has vanished - but I do have a customer number starting in 8. Have had from the start.

What a shambles.
  • jamesperrett
    jamesperrett Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Glad I didn't follow everyone from Eon to BG. I can still remember what they were like 8 years ago and it looks like they haven't improved - despite MSE's assurances to the contrary.
  • Gizmo247
    Gizmo247 Posts: 492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I think the correct approach is to submit your readings online once and ignore repeated requests thereafter. I also think there should be no harm in phoning them through too.
    MFiT-T3 #149: {Q4/14} (£46,447)-->(£0) ~ +£46,447=100%
    Mortgage Free: 1st October 2014 :j
  • Danceswithhorses
    Danceswithhorses Posts: 505 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 12 October 2016 at 1:10PM
    Options
    Well at least i now know i'm not the only one.
    I was a previously happy Eon customer, but moved to BG for a cheap collective deal, and now i wish i hadn't.
    I've given my opening readings via app (once), website (twice), and phone call (once), but the website still hasn't changed in 7 days, from 'need opening readings', and emails telling me how important it is for me to give them my opening readings, continue to be received.
    I've now also contacted them by website message, and told them the readings again (that 5 times now), and mentioned to them what a poor first impression this is, and how unhappy i am....it can take 3 days for them to reply apparently.
    NOT IMPRESSED BRITISH GAS
  • unhappychappy16
    Options
    Ive just made a post in the forums after having nothing but problems with my account setup at british gas i wish i had never switched now, infact im going to see if i can get out of the contract dealing with british gas is like talking to a donkey.
  • British_Gas_Rep_Matt
    British_Gas_Rep_Matt Posts: 179 Organisation Representative
    Options
    I too have had similar problems switching from E.ON to British Gas. When I log on to my new account I keep on getting asked for my opening readings despite inputting them numerous times both online and over the phone. One BG person said, and I quote "I wouldn't worry about it if I was you" Unbelievable reassurance from their customer service!

Hi SpanishBlue, I understand your concern but it's just that the link to submit opening readings isn't dynamic.
    This means it stays available even after you've selected the link & submitted your readings.
    As long as you've submitted the readings, you can ignore the link and once your account's set up it will be removed. Thanks, Matt
    I am the official company representative of British Gas. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • British_Gas_Rep_Matt
    Options
    Well at least i now know i'm not the only one.
    I was a previously happy Eon customer, but moved to BG for a cheap collective deal, and now i wish i hadn't.
    I've given my opening readings via app (once), website (twice), and phone call (once), but the website still hasn't changed in 7 days, from 'need opening readings', and emails telling me how important it is for me to give them my opening readings, continue to be received.
    I've now also contacted them by website message, and told them the readings again (that 5 times now), and mentioned to them what a poor first impression this is, and how unimpressed i am....it can take 3 days for them to reply apparently.
    NOT IMPRESSED BRITISH GAS

Hi Danceswithhorses, sorry about the concern this has caused but I'm sure there's no problem.

The link to submit opening readings remains displayed throughout the time your account has been setup, even after you've submitted your readings to us.

We'll use the readings you've provided us to set up your account & once it's fully set up; the link to submit readings will be removed. Thanks, Matt
    I am the official company representative of British Gas. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • British_Gas_Rep_Matt
    edited 12 October 2016 at 3:33PM
    Options
    greenpark wrote: »
    The British Gas website accepted my opening meter readings but then another email arrived saying it hadn't. I am switching from E.on to BG. BG's phone system not accepting meter readings either. I eventually spoke to someone who started all over again. What a pain.

Hi greenpark, it sounds like you may have submitted readings in the way you'd submit them for a bill.
    To submit your meter reading over the automated phone system, you'd need to call 0800 107 0344. However we've also another automated phone number 08001070224, which can only accept readings for bills.
    I get it's not made a great first impression and if you'd like to call our Collective Tariff Team on 0800 975 9712, we can find out more about why you had trouble popping us the readings. Cheers, Matt
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure