Lifetime ISAs guide

Options

Comments

• Dom_Fletch89
    Dom_Fletch89 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    As stated earlier, I've just opened a Lifetime ISA with Skipton Building Society. I also have a Help to Buy ISA with Santander which I have just deposited into at the start of June. I will be depositing a further £600 into it on June 30th so I will have saved the max £1,200 in the first month.

From reading previous comments am I right in thinking that it would be best to continue depositing £200 a month into the Help To Buy ISA and then transferring that amount into the LISA in March 2018? I will then obviously top up the remaining amount to take the total in the LISA to £4000.

Alternatively, am I best off contributing £200 a month in to the Help to Buy ISA and at the same time saving into the LISA to reach the max £4k in that by the end of the current tax year?

Any help is appreciated please
  • Guru86
    Guru86 Posts: 242 Forumite
    Options
    Ok about to open a LISA looking at Hargreaves Lansdown rather than cash ISA. Paying the minimum £25 a month as a little extra as can't put anymore in work pension - plan to increase over time.

I've looked at Funds and think the vanguard lifestragety 80% - I'm worried about the risk as never done s&s before but due to length of time money going to be in there think this is best route as time to recover if dips. This the right idea?

Also when I open the LISA with them do I deposit the first monthly payment then assign the fund, then do I have to assign the money each month to the fund or will it do it automatically?
  • pete900
    pete900 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Does anyone know if I can transfer my stocks and shares LISA into a cash LISA or do I have to wait until the new tax year?

Was hoping to change from nutmeg to skipton now.
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    pete900 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if I can transfer my stocks and shares LISA into a cash LISA or do I have to wait until the new tax year?

Was hoping to change from nutmeg to skipton now.

It's not a case of transferring from a stocks and shares LISA to a cash LISA in law, but simply a lifetime ISA to a lifetime ISA. So yes you can.
  • bmouthboyo
    bmouthboyo Posts: 94 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 June 2017 at 10:37AM
    Options
    Sign up was smoother than I expected, accounts for me and my wife all setup in 20 minutes :)

£4000 free from the government a year from now is not to be sniffed at!

Can I double check that although the Government will pay 25% in at the end of the tax year, I cannot use it for a home until the actual account has been open a year? i.e 8th June 2018?
  • martinlewisjunior
    Options
    bmouthboyo wrote: »
    Sign up was smoother than I expected, accounts for me and my wife all setup in 20 minutes :)

£4000 free from the government a year from now is not to be sniffed at!

Can I double check that although the Government will pay 25% in at the end of the tax year, I cannot use it for a home until the actual account has been open a year? i.e 8th June 2018?

It's only £2000, you can put in £4000 into each LISA and get a £1000 from it

unless it was a typo :p
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It's only £2000, you can put in £4000 into each LISA and get a £1000 from it

unless it was a typo :p
    It's £4K per tax year, so £1K each in 2017/18 and then another £1K each at the start of 2018/19 (when such bonuses will be paid monthly), totalling £4K of bonuses in the year to June 2018....
  • Samlouisec99
    Options
    I'm looking at opening a LISA and using it to help me buy a property. I'm planning on opening one now and just depositing £1 and then in march 2018 putting £3999 which will then get me my first £1000 bonus.

If I was looking at buying in July 2018 and put another 4000 into the LISA before would I then have 2000 in total in a bonus towards the deposit? Or do I have to wait a certain amount of time after depositing the second £4000?
  • Guru86
    Guru86 Posts: 242 Forumite
    Options
    Guru86 wrote: »
    Ok about to open a LISA looking at Hargreaves Lansdown rather than cash ISA. Paying the minimum £25 a month as a little extra as can't put anymore in work pension - plan to increase over time.

I've looked at Funds and think the vanguard lifestragety 80% - I'm worried about the risk as never done s&s before but due to length of time money going to be in there think this is best route as time to recover if dips. This the right idea?

Also when I open the LISA with them do I deposit the first monthly payment then assign the fund, then do I have to assign the money each month to the fund or will it do it automatically?

Any advice?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm looking at opening a LISA and using it to help me buy a property. I'm planning on opening one now and just depositing £1 and then in march 2018 putting £3999 which will then get me my first £1000 bonus.

If I was looking at buying in July 2018 and put another 4000 into the LISA before would I then have 2000 in total in a bonus towards the deposit? Or do I have to wait a certain amount of time after depositing the second £4000?
    You can pay in a second £4K right at the start of the new tax year on 6 April 2018 (or any time up to 5 May 2018) and you'd receive the 25% £1K bonus in late May (or maybe early June).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback