Whats the cheapest way to feed my cat?

Options

Comments

• Deep_In_Debt
    Deep_In_Debt Posts: 8,579 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    My 2 get fed on Felix pouches (tried Whiskas and they hate it!) mixed with biscuits and they like it.

Tried them on the expensive stuff like IAMS and they wouldn't eat it...
    Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free :)
    Mortgage free since 2014 :)
  • Deep_In_Debt
    Deep_In_Debt Posts: 8,579 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Oh yes, and they also eat the Lidl Opicat pouches
    Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free :)
    Mortgage free since 2014 :)
  • Petal_3
    Petal_3 Posts: 779 Forumite
    Options
    I reckon I spend about £1.20 - £1.50 per day feeding my 4 on raw. Brilliant value for 100% meat, I think.

~~
    Owned by [STRIKE]4[/STRIKE] 4 cats: 2 x Maine coon cross males, 1 x Pixie Bob male and[STRIKE] 2[/STRIKE] 1 x Norwegian Forest male....cute!

R.I.P Darling Jackson 11/7/09 - 15/1/10 :(
    Miss u sweetie... :heart:
  • Claire_Bear
    Claire_Bear Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    Options
    I'd be keen to try Pepsi on raw but to be honest I haven't had a lot of success with it so far! I've given her a raw chicken wing, prawns, mince, a little sliver of turkey breast etc and she just sniffs it and walks away, and it ends up going in the bin :(
    D'you know, in 900 years of space and time, I've never met anyone who wasn't important
    The Doctor
    Taste The Rainbow :heartsmil
  • Petal_3
    Petal_3 Posts: 779 Forumite
    Options
    You could always try the £10 sample pack from food4cats - it has lots of different stuff in it. You would get the £10 reimbursed if you then placed an order.

Mine took to it straight away - but they won't eat the chicken mince, one of the four won't eat diced rabbit etc etc - but with a sample pack at least you get to know what they do like.

I find it strangely comforting listening to them chomping through chunks of meating and grinding bone :o lol

~x~

ps. I used to have a cat called Pepsi...... :)
    Owned by [STRIKE]4[/STRIKE] 4 cats: 2 x Maine coon cross males, 1 x Pixie Bob male and[STRIKE] 2[/STRIKE] 1 x Norwegian Forest male....cute!

R.I.P Darling Jackson 11/7/09 - 15/1/10 :(
    Miss u sweetie... :heart:
  • rita-rabbit
    rita-rabbit Posts: 1,505 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My 2 get fed on Felix pouches (tried Whiskas and they hate it!) mixed with biscuits and they like it.

& firmness - ie not providing an alternative works v well I have found.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    taxi97w wrote: »
    Sorry, no study, just common sense. Bread (wholemeal) contains fibre-good for warding of bowel cancer etc. Mix a teaspoon of the crumbs into the main meal, same with the vegetable baby food.

Cats have NO metabolic requirement for carbohydrates, yet the medical community recommend wholegrain carbohydrates form the bulk of a healthy human diet! Felines are obligate carnivores with a very short digestive tract, so that food travels through very quickly. Humans are omnivores and do very well as vegetarians, and our digestive tract is much longer. Experts believe the link between a high meat/ low fibre diet and cancer is linked to transit time, I can't therefore see how there is any common sense in what you have suggested. :confused:
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Like humans, if cats eat only meat the chances of getting cancer are v high indeed. Try adding a teaspoon of baby food or wholemeal breadcrumbs into their protein so that they get a balanced diet. Vitamins A & C found in fruit and veg are anti-oxidants & the E vitamin is also an anit-oxidant found in fish oils etc - great for fighting & warding off cancer.
    Sorry, no study, just common sense. Bread (wholemeal) contains fibre-good for warding of bowel cancer etc. Mix a teaspoon of the crumbs into the main meal, same with the vegetable baby food.

Cheap cod fish blocks (cant remember what they're called), come in singular packs,packs of 2 or 4, can be microwaved for 2 mins each side-these are reasonable cheap and no excess salt.

I have waited until today to reply to you taxi97w because I wanted to speak to the vet who treated Coco first.
    Even though I knew in my mind that my cats diet didn't cause her cancer the comment you made bothered me so I wanted to get the facts from a vet.

Having just spoken to the vet she informed me that nothing a cat eats can cause cancer. She said even if a cat ate 100% meat it wouldn't get cancer but would likely suffer from a vitamin A deficiency that can cause extra bony growths on places like the spine so the cat would become stiff when moving about.
    She also said that these days even the very cheapest of cat foods give a cat everything it needs so there is no need to add anything at all to their food.
  • Rev
    Rev Posts: 3,150 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Your cats have sense lol. I'm ashamed to admit I used to feed Iams to my cats, because I thought cat food was cat food, surely the people who make it would only make stuff good for the cat. Still, you live and learn, thankfully. Iams might be expensive in price, but it's far from good food.
    Sigless
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    shelly wrote: »
    I have waited until today to reply to you taxi97w because I wanted to speak to the vet who treated Coco first.
    Even though I knew in my mind that my cats diet didn't cause her cancer the comment you made bothered me so I wanted to get the facts from a vet.

Having just spoken to the vet she informed me that nothing a cat eats can cause cancer. She said even if a cat ate 100% meat it wouldn't get cancer but would likely suffer from a vitamin A deficiency that can cause extra bony growths on places like the spine so the cat would become stiff when moving about.
    She also said that these days even the very cheapest of cat foods give a cat everything it needs so there is no need to add anything at all to their food.

Very interesting, thank you. :T I also think it's worth noting that cancers are more common in felines than in most other pets, and it's thought this is partly related to the prevalence of (often undiagnosed) FIV and FeLV.

The link between nutrition/ obesity and many types of cancer in humans is very strong, so I would expect there is a similar link in many other animals. However one cannot readily compare a domestic cats diet (contains all essential nutrients), with the average human diet (often chronically deficient in one or more nutrients).

Interestingly, the majority of pet cats are fed a commercial diet which includes varying quantities of cheap fillers in the form of grains. If one was to propose a link between feline diet and cancer it would be interesting to investigate the inclusion of such alien substances in such large quantities. :confused:
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport