Regular Savings Accounts: The Best Currently Available List!

Options

Comments

• IanIan
    IanIan Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    taf wrote: »
    Received the same letter. Not clear to me what that means for the introductory rate of 2% that applies currently (as far as I am aware at least) as it only cites a drop from 1.5% to 1.1%.

Anyone else any clearer on this?

Thanks.

I have spoken to the Market Harborough people. The answer is that the 2% rate (which I am on at the moment) is 1.5% plus a bonus of 0.5%. The bonus remains, for the first year only, but the interest rate falls to 1.1%. Therefore, from 23rd February to the anniversary of opening my account I'll receive 1.6%.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 February 2015 at 12:58PM
    Options
    Have you maxed all the 4 and 6% Regular Savers? 1.6% or even 2% sounds exceedingly dire.

Even if you discarded these because they require a current account, there are still much better Regular Savers about. Or even current accounts?
  • IanIan
    IanIan Posts: 70 Forumite
    edited 5 February 2015 at 5:45PM
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    Have you maxed all the 4 and 6% Regular Savers? 1.6% or even 2% sounds exceedingly dire.

Even if you discarded these because they require a current account, there are still much better Regular Savers about. Or even current accounts?

Yes I have. I also have the current accounts. I intend to keep the now-poorer paying accounts going, with minimum payments, because last year I had my fingers burnt with Skipton. I closed my Skipton accounts when the 12 month period expired, which meant that when they launched their loyalty regular saver, I didn't qualify for the higher rate! Chorley have issued a similar thing recently, where they paid a higher rate to existing members. I don't want to lose out on future opportunities of this type.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    WOW - how much are you putting into regular savers each month? I am feeding £5.7K into various Regular Savers each month and my lowest is paying 2.5%.
  • taf_2
    taf_2 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    IanIan wrote: »
    I have spoken to the Market Harborough people. The answer is that the 2% rate (which I am on at the moment) is 1.5% plus a bonus of 0.5%. The bonus remains, for the first year only, but the interest rate falls to 1.1%. Therefore, from 23rd February to the anniversary of opening my account I'll receive 1.6%.

Thanks. I received the same feedback today.
    IanIan wrote: »
    Yes I have. I also have the current accounts. I intend to keep the now-poorer paying accounts going, with minimum payments, because last year I had my fingers burnt with Skipton. I closed my Skipton accounts when the 12 month period expired, which meant that when they launched their loyalty regular saver, I didn't qualify for the higher rate! Chorley have issued a similar thing recently, where they paid a higher rate to existing members. I don't want to lose out on future opportunities of this type.

Likewise.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Norwich & Peterborough BS Gold Savings Account

Interest rate: 4% gross p.a. fixed
    Monthly payment: £20-£250
    Miss any payments: No
    Penalty-free withdrawals: No early withdrawals at all and cannot close the account early
    Age of applicant: Not stated
    How to open account: In branch or by telephone
    Special conditions: Must also open a Gold Current Account and fund this with at least £500 per month. After 12 months the money is transferred into an Easy Plus account. Can only hold one Gold Savings account ever. Can move money manually from Gold Current account using online banking. The Gold Current account offers free cash machine withdrawals and debit card transactions overseas.

Can also open by post. There is an application form on their website which can be sent to the freepost address given online.
  • Special_Saver2
    Options
    Hi Folks,

Here is this weekend's update.

- Norwich and Peterborough BS Monthly Regular Saver account can be opened by telephone (as well as in branch as before)
    - Norwich and Peterborough BS Gold Savings account can be opened by post (as well as by telephone and in branch)

I will do another update next weekend.

SS2

For those new to this thread, the first few posts are constantly updated and are here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...=608697&page=1
  • lucky77
    lucky77 Posts: 213 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    M & S Monthly Saver

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed-1 viewpost.gif
    The answer is YES. You can change the standing order date but you can't amend the date of an existing standing order. As with the HSBC regular saver, you can delete a standing order and setup a new one later.

The terms and conditions state:

You can stop a standing order that has been set up to your M&S Monthly Saver account and set up a new standing order at a later date.

Has anyone successfully changed the date of their standing order? My OH tried to set up a new s/o and failed but he didn't cancel the existing one first. He did speak to an agent who said the date can't be changed.
  • GreenBitterfly
    Options
    Meant to say the Skipton Building Society Regular Saver has been withdrawn, the website doesn't show the account any more and promotional material appears to have been withdrawn in branches too. Well at least the branch I was in!
  • Snowbelle
    Options
    Newcastle Big Home Saver/ISA Issue 1 rate dropping to 2.54% from 9th March bringing it down to the same as Issue 2.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure