I am locked into an 18 month sky contract - HELP!

Options
HELP PLEASE
I want to leave sky & go with Talk Talk - it's almost half the price

My current sky is now £82.84 per month (I was talked into this when I left the sky deal I went onto via MMT from being a long-standing Virgin customer), Talk Talk would be £47.95 for almost identical package

I am online to Sky, but I'm told:

I'm afraid when you accepted your offer of 30% off in April 2017 it did come with an 18 month minimum term for the TV element of your package. Unfortunately this would be the earliest we can set the services to cancel, as per the terms and conditions of your contract with Sky you are required to see out the duration of the minimum term.

The phone and broadband you are not in contract for, so we can cancel that without any problems for the minimum 14 days notice we require. I can do this for you today, however the TV I am afraid I would be unable to place 31 notice on.

How can I get out of this - I've already told them I cant afford it & short of cancelling my Direct Debit...

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Simply put you can't. If you're daft enough to just cancel the DD then Sky will come after you (or debt collectors to be precise) for the full cost of the contract plus costs (no doubt).

Your only recourse is to downgrade your package as much as possible and perhaps find a cheaper LR/BB package although you'll find that Sky will perhaps price match any deal.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Have your circumstances changed since you posted in April - " I called last night & re-negotiated 30% off the TV deal for a further 18 months "
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • onesixfive
    onesixfive Posts: 485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've explained, my husband has retired & we cant afford it, but we are going round in circles

I've said - either cancel the lot, and give me the cancellation price, ; otherwise match the price of the talk talk deal: which is what I set off with:
    TV plus 8.50 (incl sky sports), entertainment boost 12.00, broadband & talk 19.95, anytime UK calls 7.50 - Total 47.95
    anywhere around this figure I will be happy staying with Sky.
    Sky say they can amend the TV figure - well Talk Talk are charging me 20.50 for what Sky charge me 45.85 (after discount), - I guess that would a further 25.35 discount would bring it nearer the mark ?????
  • Mchambers
    Mchambers Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    Options
    You need to hope that Sky increase their prices before October 2018, which will enable you to leave penalty free. I think that they may do this during March 2018. Does not help you much as you want to go to Talk Talk for their sky sports package.

I am not sure what else you watch. For info, the other Talk Talk programmes are freeview channels. It that what you want ?

I suggest you hold and wait for sky to increase their prices and then leave penalty free to enable you to join Ttalk.

Your only option is to em their ceo Jeremy Darroch but I don't encourage you to hold much hope.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    sng165 wrote: »
    I've said - either cancel the lot, and give me the cancellation price, ; otherwise match the price of the talk talk deal

The LR/BB if out of minimum term wouldn't have a 'cancellation price' although you want to move suppliers, not cancel as that would cost you more. The 'cancellation price' for the tv would be whatever is left in full from now until the end of minimum term. That would be a pretty penny I'm guessing and would totally wipe out any savings from changing to TT.
  • onesixfive
    Options
    Mchambers wrote: »
    You need to hope that Sky increase their prices before October 2018, which will enable you to leave penalty free. I think that they may do this during March 2018. Does not help you much as you want to go to Talk Talk for their sky sports package.

I am not sure what else you watch. For info, the other Talk Talk programmes are freeview channels. It that what you want ?

I suggest you hold and wait for sky to increase their prices and then leave penalty free to enable you to join Ttalk.

Your only option is to em their ceo Jeremy Darroch but I don't encourage you to hold much hope.

Thanks for that!
    My Sky bill is Box set with sports 65.50 - 19.65 (discount) = 45.85
    Broadband & Talk £36.99 (Broadband unlimited £10 + sky talk anytime £8, line rental 18.99)
    Total 82.84
    Its the TV bit which seems expensive ! but they wont budge
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 August 2017 at 3:28PM
    Options
    You agreed an 18m minimum term, so the only way to void your contract without penalty is death or bankruptcy.
    Presumably you knew in April 2017 that your husband would be retiring by August, so why agree a contract lasting until October 2018 in the knowledge that your income would fall?
    A change in your financial circumstances, whether foreseeable or not, does not allow you to break the contract without penalty.
    It's expensive because you are paying the rack rate for the phone and broadband, and you have an expensive set of subscription TV options. Once OOC, you will be in a position to negotiate a substantial discount on that-but you have to ask for it.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • onesixfive
    Options
    Mchambers wrote: »

Sky state: & I quote:
    price increases for TV do not breach terms and conditions, however if this situation does arise you will be given due notification. I'm sorry but I can't do anything more in regards to the price

?????
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sng165 wrote: »
    it's supposed to be easier ???
    It is easy when you are out of contract or if you are prepared to pay to break your contract, however you agreed to an eighteen month contract in April which was your choice and Sky are quite within their rights to hold you to that agreement.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure