Pensioner Bonds Guide

Options

Comments

• alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 December 2014 at 5:49PM
    Options
    That's because they aren't pensioner bonds. They are investor bonds for the over 65s.

Read the label before criticising the contents of the tin.

The label says Pensioner Bond so one would expect the tin to contain a bond for pensioners. But some pensioners are under 65 but not eligible yet some people over 65 are not pensioners and are eligible. This misnaming is the fault of the Government and not the article being discussed.

It would be good if these products had correct names and everyone stuck to them. Remember when the media referred to Granny Bonds? Grannies were often much younger than required to be eligible for "Granny Bonds" and older Granddads and people without grandchildren were eligible.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    mgdavid wrote: »
    For MSE Helen -
    seems there could be a need for a 'Who is eligible' paragraph up front; many will be misled by 'Pensioner' Bonds and miss the 65+ bit.

Agreed.

With a "misname" like that, then it does need to be clear that the Government are giving these Bonds an incorrect name and some pensioners wont be able to get any. Perhaps, whilst on the subject, clarifying that people over 65 who are still working WILL qualify, even if they might not consider themselves pensioners (and, indeed, even if they aren't actually pensioners - as they aren't in receipt of employment pension and have elected to postpone their State pension).

I think we need to have precise wording - even though the Government hasn't done so.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    dc1350 wrote: »
    First of all the cap is way too high. The richest pensioners will gobble up all of their 20K allocations and anyone slow off the mark (probably the poorer and less informed) will not get any
    The premise of your argument seems unsound

You imply that poor people are less informed and therefore will be at a disadvantage, surely rich people that are less informed will be equally slow off the mark? I would suggest that someone's wealth, or lack thereof, is not a factor here and you are being somewhat patronising towards 'poor' people
  • le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Options
    Nowhere on the NS&I website - and it is they who are selling these bonds - does it mention "pensioners"!
    So why they, or the Treasury are getting blamed, I can't figure.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    NS&I refer to them as 'savings bonds for people aged 65'

However it looks like George himself originated the term

Many pensioners have seen their incomes fall as a consequence of the low interest rates that Britain has deliberately pursued to support the economy. It is Britain's turn to help them out in return, so we have launched the new pensioner bond paying market-leading rates,

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/budget-2014-speech-in-full-9202930.html
  • le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Options
    I did say NS&I or the Treasury - never mentioned Boy George! ;)
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 December 2014 at 6:13PM
    Options
    May be the first Q in the MSE article ("What are pensioner bonds") needs to spell out what the word "dubbed" means?

I wonder whether it would satisfy the critics if everybody referred to these pensioner bonds as the "if you are 65 and over on January xx 2015 and quick off the mark limited edition savings accounts"?

I suppose we also need to generally and very urgently have new rules for the use of the word "pensioner" since - as has been pointed out by one of the critics - you can't actually be sure these days whether someone who calls themselves, or is referred to as, a pensioner is over a certain age. What's this world come to.

EDIT: For the avoidance of doubt: I am not serious.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Perhaps he should have called them "Elder Bonds" and restricted them to those 70 plus agegroup (ie the elderly only) and then we wouldn't have pensioners in late middle-age thinking "Well...if they are Pensioner Bonds then I can have them too (ie because I am a pensioner)...so why am I not fulfilling the eligibility criteria then?:shocked::angry::think::huh::huh::huh:".
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    "codger bonds" is what I calls 'em, and quite right too.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • RAM57
    Options
    Will I be able to apply for these if I live in the EU but have UK bank accounts?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure