Leaving Virgin..

Options
For one of those BT deals but as regards termination, my minimum term is 12 months which is up at the end of May.

So should i be able to serve a months notice at the beginning of May without charge ? It still adds up to 12 months.

Whats BT like by comparison by the way ? Ive been with Virgin for years and the broadband is very good as you'd expect as its hard-wired. But they are now pricey for existing customers.

Comments

• ryan92
    ryan92 Posts: 587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tr@cker wrote: »
    For one of those BT deals but as regards termination, my minimum term is 12 months which is up at the end of May.

So should i be able to serve a months notice at the beginning of May without charge ? It still adds up to 12 months.

Whats BT like by comparison by the way ? Ive been with Virgin for years and the broadband is very good as you'd expect as its hard-wired. But they are now pricey for existing customers.

Which BT broadband have you went for and what did you previously have with Virgin :) ?
    Currently in a Trust Deed 43 payments until DEBT FREE - February 2027
  • Tr@cker
    Tr@cker Posts: 532 Forumite
    Options
    ryan92 wrote: »
    Which BT broadband have you went for and what did you previously have with Virgin :) ?

The £7.50 for 6 months bottom starter deal, BT sport-whatever that constitutes-is included.

Im on the lowest TV package with Virgin which is very little more than freeview,
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    Do you have a BT based phone line? You'll need one and that will add close to £15 a month unless you pay a year up front. When you call VM to cancel they will be offering a deal to stay - you should have been calling every year to keep the price down as they regard "loyal customers" as cash cows (as do all ISPs).
  • Tr@cker
    Options
    kwikbreaks wrote: »
    Do you have a BT based phone line? You'll need one and that will add close to £15 a month unless you pay a year up front. When you call VM to cancel they will be offering a deal to stay - you should have been calling every year to keep the price down as they regard "loyal customers" as cash cows (as do all ISPs).

The connection is free and ive confirmed this by giving them my postcode. Im not going to get free sports channels out of Virgin.

What i really want to know is can the one months notice start in the last month of the 12 months contract ?
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    edited 23 April 2014 at 10:09AM
    Options
    Tr@cker wrote: »
    What i really want to know is can the one months notice start in the last month of the 12 months contract ?
    Yes.

I'm not sure that you understood what I said. The connection may well be free but you have to pay around £15 a month line rental as well as the broadband. That will make it close to £30 a month in total and the basic VM price should be less than that. I was paying well less than £30 for 60Mbps.

===

I just checked the BT site - the £7.50 start price package is 10GB only. We regularly see people getting stung considerable amounts for exceeeding that post on here. It's a basic email and browsing package - forget any streaming or sizeable downloads. I see the line cost is actually £15.99 now too. I can't see how you are paying VM more than that package will end up at.
  • Tr@cker
    Options
    kwikbreaks wrote: »
    Yes.

I'm not sure that you understood what I said. The connection may well be free but you have to pay around £15 a month line rental as well as the broadband. That will make it close to £30 a month in total and the basic VM price should be less than that. I was paying well less than £30 for 60Mbps.

Yes, the line rental is £15.99 and £7.50 per month for the first 6 months, then £15.99 line rental and £10 per month ongoing.

I'd save £13 per month on against my Virgin deal and get more TV channels.
  • Tr@cker
    Options
    Its a saving in a year that could pay for a TV license.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    For carp broadband and IP delivered TV channels that impact on your download caps? You're going to get a BIG shock down rage line when the offers end and you realise how slow the ADSL BB is in comparison!
  • A.Penny.Saved
    A.Penny.Saved Posts: 1,832 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    PlusNet and Talk Talk do much better packages than BT. Pay up front for 12 months line rental and get unlimited broadband for around £5 a month. Total £15/£16. However reading about TT, you might not want to go that route.
  • Tr@cker
    Options
    Buzby wrote: »
    For carp broadband and IP delivered TV channels that impact on your download caps? You're going to get a BIG shock down rage line when the offers end and you realise how slow the ADSL BB is in comparison!

BT say Virgin slow up their broadband service by up to 65% peak time.

Most TV channels work through the aerial as does normal freeview. I dont know about the sport channels reception, somebody already on the deal would know best.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure