Denied boarding on a flight

Options
Hello

I hope someone can help please.
In December, I booked a flight with Turkish Airlines (through citiflights.co.uk) and I flew out to Bangkok via Istanbul, with a returning flight same route for 15 days later. However Turkish Airlines cancelled my place on this flight and the flight went ahead. I was stranded in Bangkok and the staff at the airport were unable to tell me why this had happened; they didn't provide any assistance or anything. I have submitted numerous formal complaints to TA through their website and I still haven't got any answers. I have submitted a complaint through the ADR scheme but they have said because the flight wasn't to EU (as the first leg went to Istanbul) they cannot help. The CAA say they can't help because the ADR deal with all matters related to Turkish Airlines.
I had to book another hotel in Bangkok and pay for another flight home and I wish to be compensated.

The whole experience was so stressful and scary and not being able to get anywhere with this is adding to the misery. Please can anyone help?

Lauren

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    However Turkish Airlines cancelled my place on this flight and the flight went ahead.

Did you speak to your agent? what have they said about the cancellation? How do you know it was TA that cancelled your place?
  • Lauren_Maggie_66
    Options
    Yes, Citi Flights said that none of their other passengers were affected and flew home with no problem and therefore cant help. Turkish airlines confirmed my booking had been cancelled over the phone and by email just saying "your booking is cancelled ". When I was at the airport the only option they gave me was to buy another ticket on the flight I had already paid for!

Lauren
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sounds very odd, are TA even able to tell you who cancelled the booking? there should be an audit trail in the booking on when it was cancelled and by who.
    Did you travel all the flights on the outbound ticket as planned? If there was a leg not taken or a flight change that was not processed correctly then subsequent legs would be cancelled
  • Lauren_Maggie_66
    Options
    Yes I did. I flew out on the flight on my booking! It's so odd, can't believe I can't sort this out. Turkish airlines have just stopped responding to me. I wish I could just sit down with someone and go through it all but they just don't work like that and the lady I spoke to at Heathrow when I finally got home said the only option I had was to go through their online contact system which I've done many times. They have no explanation. I just want to get the money back I spent on the additional flight.
  • Lauren_Maggie_66
    Options
    Hi, anyone able to help please? I've spoken again to the ADR who say they are unable to help as not an EU carrier. I sent Turkish Airlines a letter before Court action and again they ignore me.
    If I start court action has anyone been successful in claiming breach of contract? As opposed to breach of EU rules.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, anyone able to help please? I've spoken again to the ADR who say they are unable to help as not an EU carrier. I sent Turkish Airlines a letter before Court action and again they ignore me.
    If I start court action has anyone been successful in claiming breach of contract? As opposed to breach of EU rules.

Hi Lauren,

To save you going around in circles I would suggest that, so long as you were/are in possession of valid tickets, you issue TA with a LBA as a first step to issuing legal proceedings against them. Just google and download 'Vaubans guide' for info and a template.

They will take you're case more seriously and will, ultimately, have to inform you of how/who cancelled your flights.

I really cannot see any other way of getting to the bottom of this.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Lauren_Maggie_66
    Options
    Hi there,

Thanks but I have already done that. The 14 day deadline I set has now expired and they have still offered me no explanation. They replied and said that I can't claim compensation as the EU rules don't apply.
    I feel like I have no other option but to pursue through the courts which I will do if I have to, was just hoping to sort this out through the resolution scheme.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi there,

Thanks but I have already done that. The 14 day deadline I set has now expired and they have still offered me no explanation. They replied and said that I can't claim compensation as the EU rules don't apply.
    I feel like I have no other option but to pursue through the courts which I will do if I have to, was just hoping to sort this out through the resolution scheme.

Hi Lauren,

I'm not quite sure what you mean, Turkish Airlines have an agreement with AviationADR to supply ADR facilities so it seems to be a valid dispute for them to take on board. What exactly are they saying?

I'm pretty sure also that I have read somewhere that TA, although not a full EU member state, have opted in to the EC261 regulations and fully adopted them.

https://www.aviationadr.org.uk

If there is a problem with AviationADR you should talk to the CAA about it. They state that TA do comply with the ADR provider.

I'm just a bit confused by all of this.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unless TA are considered an EU airline ( I don't think they are), even though Turkey is not yet in the EU, then TA are correct, you have no claim under reg 261/2004.
    You will have to find out if they are cnsidered an EU airline.
    Member of an ADR would suggest that they maybe but no certainty.
    Non EU airline flying out of non EU country = no claim.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Lauren_Maggie_66
    Options
    Hi,

The ADR said that as they are not an airline based in the EU they can't help. The CAA say they can't help as matters have to go through the ADR.
    I appreciate I can't claim through the EU rules but surely (hoping) I could claim a breach of contract? I paid £900 for original flight and a further £900 to get home!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure