Budget Planner Spreadsheet Help Thread

Options

Comments

• burbidv
    Options
    polkadot wrote: »
    Hi All

Ive downloaded the budget planner spreadsheet, but I get a notification that it is read only. When I try to unprotect it using the review tab, Im asked for a password. Have I done something wrong when I downloaded?

I'm having same problem, but in my case I haven't been able to solve it by following advice, which seemed to sort it for you. Help?
  • Former_MSE_James
    Options
    demelza wrote: »
    Thanks again. I finally managed to download the link. It took the best part of an hour. I then downloaded the budget planner again and am still getting gobbbledegook.
    this is so frustrating as it's clearly a brilliant thing and my friend had no problem with the download. I have tried all suggestions and done it through internet explorer and mozilla firefox and none of it works. Really fed up now. I did the online one but as I couldn't print it or save it that also has wasted my time.
    Willing to try one more suggestion
    Can I just check what you are using to download the budget planner with? e.g. Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari etc and what program you are using to open it with. Currently the budget planner has been tested with Microsoft Excel and Open Office.
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Hi everyone

We think we've found what was causing the gobbledygook. If you were having problems before can you read this?:

Users of Microsoft Internet Explorer right-click on the link and select 'save target as' to download it to your computer. Users of other browsers (i.e., Safari, Firefox, Opera) left-click and from the dialogue box choose to save the file to your computer

Andrea :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • purdles
    Options
    I have Microsoft Vista which uses Works as an automatic programme to open up budget planner, but it is not recognised. I have uploaded Microsoft Office excel but still cannot open it. I have tried save as and changing the file type but still no luck. I really hate Vista.. can anyone help?

Thanks
  • yesican
    yesican Posts: 243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Eggfoot wrote: »
    Hello

Im trying to add more rows to the "Enter Other Income Source" part of the spreadsheet, but its not allowing me to do so...saying that the page is "protected". When I try to "Unprotect" it prompts me for a password. Which i obviously dont have.

Im using the spreasdsheet in Office 2007...could this be the problem?
    Morning guys,
    I'm about to give up trying now.
    I've downloaded the way they want you to(to right click) and since i've got Excel 2003 on Windows XP,i seen to be getting back to square one wher ei'm being asked for a password.
    I really could do with a bidget planner like this to keep me in shape but-i'm being prompted for a password..
    Where do i get this password and if not, what am i doing wrong please?
    Thanks in advance guys..
  • yesican
    Options
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    Hi everyone

We think we've found what was causing the gobbledygook. If you were having problems before can you read this?:

Users of Microsoft Internet Explorer right-click on the link and select 'save target as' to download it to your computer. Users of other browsers (i.e., Safari, Firefox, Opera) left-click and from the dialogue box choose to save the file to your computer

Andrea :)

Hi Andrea,
    I wonder if oyu could help me please,i've been following your advice there just as the instuctions on downloading the budget planner but i'm still being asked for a password.
    Am i doing something wrong somewhere/.-I've right clicked it before downloading it.Since i do have excel 2003,is it compatible please?
    I'm upto my eyes in it for the past couple of days but i seem to be hitting a brivk wall everytime.
    Thanks in advance.
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Hi mumofone

The budget planner is compatible with Excel 2003 so it should work fine for you. The password is built into the file so it should open without any problem.

Could you let us know exactly what message you get when you try to download the budget planner?

If you can take a screen shot of it and paste it or upload it and put the link here that would be even better.

Thanks

Andrea
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • yesican
    Options
    Hi Andrea,
    The message that i keep getting is:

'The cell or chart you're trying to change is protected and therefore, read only
    To modify a protected cell or chart,first remove protection using the unprotect sheet command(Tools menu,protection submenu).You may be prompted for a password'

Now,i've even gone to as far as clicking on the tools menu, then to protection submenu but it takes me back to square one where i'm being prompted for a password....

I'm stuck as i don't know what to do.
    Ive spent the last few days downloading and changing the name while saving it but to no avail.

Its a big shame cos the planner seems to be genuine..if only...

Thanks in advance Andrea.
  • nappy501
    nappy501 Posts: 103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

I have just started filling in the budget planner. I keep making the same mistake and I don't appear to be able to correct it.

I am happily adding figures then I realize I have put a weekly figure in the monthly column. I then take out this figure by typing a space or zero which gives £0.00. When I type the figure in the correct column I then get ERROR. On the right hand side I get the message:
    You've entered too many values. Just fill in one of the Week, Month or Year columns. This is although there is only one value filled in. How do I stop this happening?

I am running Suse 10.2 using Open Office.

Thank you.
  • Former_MSE_James
    Options
    nappy501 wrote: »
    Hi
    I am happily adding figures then I realize I have put a weekly figure in the monthly column. I then take out this figure by typing a space or zero which gives £0.00. When I type the figure in the correct column I then get ERROR. On the right hand side I get the message:
    You've entered too many values. Just fill in one of the Week, Month or Year columns. This is although there is only one value filled in. How do I stop this happening?

Hi,
    When you delete a value from the spreadsheet you should use the delete (or backspace) key to clear the cell rather than using a space or a zero. To fix the problem delete all of the values for week, month and year in the row with the error. Let me know if this doesn't work... :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure