GOAL:Debt free by 43! but how will I get there!!!!???

Options

Comments

• BadBookkeeper
    Options
    Yes been 3 times before he was born and can't wait to go again before he's too old to want to come!
    Lightbulb moment - 17/08/2017 £17,033.  Current CC debt £1400 DFD 31/7/24 5 months to go…. 16 weeks 

• Lancashirelass1
    Options
    Guys the first of my bumpy road today.....completely not my fault either....and I knew this would happen....RANT begins....

I am logged in as I am very annoyed and will be now emailing Vanquis, Aqua, cap one and the catalogue that thought that it was OK to take my dd yesterday (should be the 28th) and that they could take well over the minimum payment....
    Vanquis were supposed to be taking 21.50 - they took 115.00
    Aqua - were supposed to be taking 15.00 - but took 30.00
    Cap One - were supposed to be taking 30.00 but took 58.00
    Catalogue - 30.22 - but took 60.44
    As you can see what they have done is on the change of bank accounts and re doing my dd they have taken it twice???? on the day that they were told not to do!
    So I am just prepping a complaint letter (which I will get reimbursed with some sort of credit) and I am annoyed.
    What is so hard with changing a bank account and a date....I know they will give me some bull about my billing cycle or other but I am not accepting it, because I have put in a lot of hard work over the last few weeks getting this sorted out, and i have not only done this but I have also re contacted to make sure that i have done it all right!
    So this is my first of the bumpy road, because of literally of not just one, but 4 companies?
    Which means that its messed my payment going in from my old account to the bills accounts, because its not due until my pay day next week, I have had to transfer the money into the new account from my shopping budget into the new bills account, from my old account and its just all messed up. I know what has happened, and I know what blag they will give to me too, but at the end of the day, they have taken my money twice, leaving me without any money...they havent but that is the route I will be taking.
    ACTIONS TODAY
    Email each company and complain
    Also complain that each phone call made on the 8th August was around 35 - 40 minutes and I want reimbursing for my time wasted.
    Listen into the calls clearly stating my dd details and the dates and all that was confirmed.
    Listen into the calls then from last week where i have rang and re checked it all clearly giving them my plan of action too!
    Even on one call, which I will share with you, a customer service rep was actually really rude to me.
    Leave everything as it is for now as I have now made the payment and its only coming off my bill but I am annoyed.

I knew I should have transferred it all for the just in case, because i was convinced it would go wrong and all this because I have changed my bank account and my payment date....
    It has gone wrong and I get paid next week and i have had to borrow money out of my set aside money to cover it all which I will put back...
    but I am annoyed guys - this is my first bumpy road before I have even started the snowball!
    I know it will get better, and its hard to say it all by email but I am annoyed!!!!!!

RANT OVER!
    thank you
    Aim to be debt free....
    Snowballing since August 2017
    Debt total
    28'570.92 (august 17)
  • Lancashirelass1
    Options
    Following you as I love your user name, I am a Lancashire lass to, but just love Cumbria hence my name ! Have subscribed.
    I adore cumbria! have lots of memories there....I used to go for years, my friend lived in Egremont and one in Whitehaven so I spent lots of time there! I was sad when they moved.....
    Aim to be debt free....
    Debt total
    28'570.92 (august 17)
  • freeman3030
    Options
    Glad to have found your diary! Still on holiday, but you've inspired me so much, I just want to get home, sit at my computer and work out my accounts, dates that 0% credit cards end etc. Thank you for your inspiration! Subscribed!
  • Lancashirelass1
    Options
    all emails are now done. I am now a lot calmer.
    What i have also done is cancel all the dd because at the end of the day, they should not have done this, my bank will cancel each dd and i will be paid back what I have paid which are incorrect amounts and not what was agreed in terms of the date or even the amount, and i will pay it back to my set aside account, I have just had a quick chat with my financial advice friend and she told me to do this, as at the end of the day, I couldnt have been more organised if i tried, and she said that if I allow this amount it just messes up the first snowball, so I will be contacted by next week due to the email/complaints I have sent.
    I will probably get lots of calls and on each letter I have clearly stated each day I have contacted, what was said and also that I have re contacted to confirm it all.
    Luckily as I was on the phone, and because of the way I am, I took each persons name and even typed out exactly what was said on each call so i was able to attach this to the complaint too.
    That is how organised I am so I know this is not my fault.

Also, some good news:
    My credit union account had 6712.13 and in my savings account it had 939.13. Basically I pay 300.00 per month but you have to set aside some savings to have the loan, not sure why!
    I emailed them last week and asked them to pay out of the savings account and adjust this to 5.00 per month going forward and the 295.00 then being paid into the loan which makes the interest lower.
    So my balance is now 5773.59 as I have just checked it!
    so my rant and annoyance is OK now as i have cancelled the dd as I am not paying the amount as its incorrect whether its paying towards the debt or not, it is not what was agreed...and I can pay my snowball as planned.
    my credit union is down 900.00...

I will let you all know what the outcome has been next week, I will have to ring each company up on the 28th next week and pay over the phone and make sure that the dd is set up properly for the month after.
    I wonder how much for the inconvenience I will get paid for each complaint!!??
    just wanted to share my first bump - which I knew there would be!!
    Aim to be debt free....
    Debt total
    28'570.92 (august 17)
  • Lancashirelass1
    Options
    Glad to have found your diary! Still on holiday, but you've inspired me so much, I just want to get home, sit at my computer and work out my accounts, dates that 0% credit cards end etc. Thank you for your inspiration! Subscribed!

That diary has been brilliant for me! Its also now very slim....I thought it would be hard work but i have set up some small goals, per month, so this month I have a bit extra as its a 5 week month for shopping, my daughter is away this week so that will cut my cost of shopping too.
    All the nipping into the shop for milk and spending a fortune has now stopped, I want to keep my money if i am honest and pay this debt back!
    My longer term goal from now to December is I am not buying any clothes, make up etc, I dont need anything - the only thing I think i will need is trainers for the gym, but if i can make them last till December i will!
    I will set up goals then from then on.
    I just sat there and was very honest with it all and it was like ripping off a plaster and once it was all done I felt better!
    thats the only way i can describe it...then I started to put actions into place then and its been quite easy! i am really enjoying it now....
    I was very lucky to have had some help with my SOA and she had this spreadsheet which input all the debts etc but there was one on line I think it was called stoozing? but she had something similar but she mentioned that was also very good.
    I just got confused with it all. but its all done now and I am just having a bumpy moment, but after my rant this morning, its now sorted out.
    Enjoy the rest of your holiday dont rush to get back and wish your holiday away!!!!! - and yes, let me know how you get on! thank you so much x
    Aim to be debt free....
    Debt total
    28'570.92 (august 17)
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    There will be a few bumps along the road and I completely understand your frustration given you spent time trying to sort it out beforehand. Changing banks is often problematic much as they say it wont be. I moved from Santander to First Direct for a switching bonus last year but cancelled most of my direct debits beforehand and then reset them back up with First Direct. I just left two as that was a condition of the switching bonus.

Good that your credit union is £900 lower now though and no sense in keeping savings (beyond emergency and budget savings) when you are certainly paying more interest on loan.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Lancashirelass1
    Options
    There will be a few bumps along the road and I completely understand your frustration given you spent time trying to sort it out beforehand. Changing banks is often problematic much as they say it wont be. I moved from Santander to First Direct for a switching bonus last year but cancelled most of my direct debits beforehand and then reset them back up with First Direct. I just left two as that was a condition of the switching bonus.

Good that your credit union is £900 lower now though and no sense in keeping savings (beyond emergency and budget savings) when you are certainly paying more interest on loan.
    thank you...and today is proof that it is indeed a problem!
    in terms of the credit union, It just didn't make sense for it to be in the savings pot, plus, you cant actually take anything out of it whilst the loan is outstanding too, so it just didn't make sense, but had I not been on here, I wouldn't have even thought to ask to pay it towards the loan, so its been paid into the loan and i did pay less interest this month too - as i have just checked it.
    In terms of this with the money, luckily, I have made notes and its just annoying, I have cancelled the dd now, and my bank asked me 'pay it and then cancel' or do not pay and cancel so I have cancelled them.
    i have clearly stated that the payments will be made at the end of the month, so now they may listen now!
    its just those 4 the others haven't done it.
    Its just a teething problem I know and I am not annoyed now,I feel more in control again. I will just have to make yet another call to each company and pay over the phone again!

thank you
    Aim to be debt free....
    Debt total
    28'570.92 (august 17)
  • boxofpaws
    boxofpaws Posts: 753 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Loving your enthusiasm and energy.:T

I found, and read in many other diaries that the first few weeks were the rockiest, when we were getting to grips with the situation. For a lot of people the overall debt goes up for a while, whilst they do balance transfers and rejig their finances and the like.But it definitely gets easier once you get into the groove.

You've made a fantastic start, I've subscribed:)
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
  • Lancashirelass1
    Options
    OK guys, first call of the day from Capital One:
    outcome of it all, cancelled the dd and I have been put through to a manager....

She was very nice and has apologised
    Going forward with this....
    This month has been done but on the wrong date and whoever I spoke to last week didnt change the cycle or something.
    So I have had my first month free basically this month I dont need to pay the minimum payment and she has reimbursed my account with 35.00, she said that basically I start paying in September on the date that i have asked for and she has put the goodwill gesture on....

so I am happy with that!
    Aim to be debt free....
    Debt total
    28'570.92 (august 17)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts