PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Am I the only person without a microwave?

Options

Comments

• meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Really wouldn't be without my microwave, saves a fortune in electric and time. Use it a couple of times a day.
    Slimming World at target
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    I've not got one.

I had one - many years back - and got rid of it after reading about the effect on food cooked therein.

Every so often I come across another article about loss of nutrients in food cooked in microwave ovens and it confirms my decision not to get one again.

Which is just as well. I shall be redoing my kitchen shortly - and there still won't be space for one anyway. Not by the time I need worksurface space for my dehydrator, Vitamix, spiraliser, food processor, etc:).

I was really only that prone to using it defrosting things anyway and making porridge. Porridge only takes a couple of minutes to make in a saucepan anyway and I think a lot of ovens these days have a "defrost" setting on them (in case I forget to get something out of the freezer in time for when I want it).
  • *Margaret*
    Options
    My Mum has one but only because my sister bought it when she lived there, my Mum refuses to use it. My parents seem to manage fine without it, it wasn't something that was around when they were learning to cook and so I suppose you don't miss what you've never had. I use mine for re-heating and making hot drinks because it's cheaper but I'm sure I could live without it if necessary.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I only have one as it was in the flat built in, and my parents don't have one.

I like it for defrosting and occasionally steaming veg. It is also good for heating milk for hot chocolate and also for cooking popcorn - just the ordinary kernels in a glass casserole dish, no need for oil or special microwave packs.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • downshifter
    downshifter Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    No I haven't got one either. In common with several other things about the house and garden, I decided that once it went bang I'd see how I got on without and only replace if I really missed it. I can't think I've ever missed it since that bang day. Oh yes, someone told me that you can make great meringues in it. Maybe on my meringue-fancying days I miss it. I have a mini-oven for things that need it, otherwise I use the hob. Use big oven max twice a year. Far too expensive.

Same with TV - that went massively bang several years ago. I'm vaguely thinking of getting a new one now, but later in the year I think.

DS
  • Boddington
    Options
    Had one, it broke 13 years ago roughly, occasionally think we should have one, but i hardly used the one i had, and i had that over 20 years��
  • Jackieboy
    Jackieboy Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    Options
    I bought one two years ago only because I suddenly found myself living alone and thought it would be cheaper than putting my oven on, just for one person.
    I really only use it to part cook jacket potatoes occasionally. My daughter uses it far more when she's home from Uni than I do.

I don't use mine a great deal - potatoes as you say, softening butter, reheating cups of tea, a very rare ready meal. However, when I was without one I really missed it and needed to get another.
  • Mands
    Mands Posts: 740 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I decided that once it went bang I'd see how I got on without and only replace if I really missed it.

+1

Mine died a few years ago and hasn't been replaced. I miss being able to soften butter for baking but that's about it.

M
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Between my microwave and my Remoska and slow cooker I only use my big oven to do large batch baking of cake for my DGC. I use it daily
  • GreenFairy
    Options
    I got one in the after Christmas sales - first time I've had one in years and years. I find it super handy for heating milk or leftovers, melting chocolate or for defrosting. I don't really use it much for cooking though.
    Attempting to stay on track in the Grocery Challenge!

Occasionally blogging at CookingTheBooks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure