Steps to take if you have been ripped-off by a copy-cat government website

Options

Comments

• Libbybeth
    Libbybeth Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Libbybeth wrote: »
    No offence taken powerful_Rogue as that is very useful information, however I was merely pointing out that she knew not to send personal information such as credit card details without this, remember she made the mistake of thinking she was on a government website.

Ok to finish the story, as I hope it will be useful to others:
    The site she used was called dvla-driving-licence.co.uk owned by TAD services (this at the time was a sponsored link and came up first in the search engine...yes she is now aware of sponsored links)
    When she realised that £90 instead of the £50 had been taken from her account she told me straight away. I realised immediately she had used the wrong website (for the trolls... she did this off her own bat as a surprise for me and her dad that she had applied and paid for her own provisional before you all start posting how I should have been watching her!)

To be clear what she had paid £90 for was to receive a form with her details on it (which was then sent to DVLA) - not a licence.

I sent an email to the company (within 7 days) cancelling the transaction and requesting a refund. I had a reply to say that they would refund less £8 charge which was fair. However she only received £32, several emails from me later in which I threatened to take them to Civil court, (please note if you are doing this make sure you give them a reasonable date to refund by as this will be in your favour if you go to court) and with no response from them I told them that I was proceeding with civil action. They then responded and asked for a government gateway number. As we had completed a new application on a form from the post office and posted it we did not have one (do not use the form they sent you - start a new application). I wrote back to the company stating that this was simply delaying tactics by them but gave them a further date to refund by stating that this would be in my favour and I would be claiming my costs too.
    Today my daughter was refunded a further £50 so £82 in all, it took about a month to get this.

To the trolls that regulaly post unhelpful remarks that make people feel more stupid then they already do, these sites are deliberately designed to catch people out otherwise they would be very clear on what you are paying for on checkout and would not use colours on their website to mimic other government ones and all their fees would be in the same size font as the rest of the website not smaller. They may be operating within the law but as trading standards say..only just ...they are treading a fine line. On the advice of Valli I will be contacting my MP to highlight these websites.

Money Saving Expert was set up to help us all and for us to help one another as my parents always said if you haven't got anything useful to say...dont say anything at all.....

Does this help meer53 rather than concocting stories to insinuate that I am a liar, perhaps you need to read my posts properly..... see I really am helpful .....ps Beth still isnt my daughter .....
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Who called anyone a liar ?

Maybe your daughter should have read all the text on the home page ?

"Our service is not connected to or affiliated with the UK Government or Driving Vehicle Licence Agency and acts as an agent processing the application. These services are available from other government sources for no fee."
  • yangptangkipperbang
    Options
    I was about to post something with a relevance to the thread title - but I feel that I am interrupting a private petty feud !!!

Grow up ....................

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/consumertips/tax/10679845/Breakthrough-for-refunds-from-copycat-tax-return-website.html
  • meer53
    Options
    I was about to post something with a relevance to the thread title - but I feel that I am interrupting a private petty feud !!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/consumertips/tax/10679845/Breakthrough-for-refunds-from-copycat-tax-return-website.html

The ever helpful Hpuse posted this link earlier, post #980. but thanks anyway :)
  • meer53
    Options

You're absolutely right yangptangkipperbang. Apologies, I'm off.
  • Libbybeth
    Libbybeth Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options

I apologise everyone you are right it has become petty, I've allowed myself to lower my standards, I wont be responding anymore....
    I have secured a refund for my daughter who applied for a provisional licence through a site, please contact me if you need any help with doing the same or would like me to send copies of my emails to the company
    Your link/post is very helpful, thank you...
  • hpuse
    hpuse Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

You would find that link that says bank refunded money is not much welcomed here.

People read too much into consumer credit card act section 75, failing to understand the difference between protection, refund and a dispute. .
  • hpuse
    Options
    robatwork wrote: »
    <Bannatyne>
    It's full of useless advice, selectively ignored ripostes, and not a little paranoia.
    House, I don't like you, your ideas and I won't be investing any more time.
    I'm oot.
    </Bannatyne>

Thanks, like people speaking their minds....:rotfl:especially when they see coverage in national press re:banks refunding monies....
    A topic from OP that ended up now in 51 pages !!
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    hpuse wrote: »
    People read too much into consumer credit card act section 75, failing to understand the difference between protection, refund and a dispute. .

And some people fail to understand that there is no such legislation as the "consumer credit card act".

Anyway hpuse, any chance of a reply to my earlier post, the one where I asked you about this post of yours:
    Originally Posted by hpuse viewpost.gif
    Banks are processing refunds.
    Copycatism is being tackled at government level...

And I asked you why action was being taken against companies who according to you, existed legally and were not breaking any laws, rules or regulations?
    Originally Posted by hpuse viewpost.gif
    However, I know for a fact that these companies are legal.
    But they are also at the 'verge' of breaking the rules, laws and regulations.
  • hpuse
    Options
    LOL! Consumer credit card act !! Spot on !! ...may be too much wine for the night
    And I asked you why action was being taken against companies who according to you, existed legally and were not breaking any laws, rules or regulations?

Correction, action has only started more to come.

To answer the un-answered question, best way is to post a link.
    In the link below you will see 'action' against a legally existing company taken by trading standards that did not 'break' any law.

The link
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family