We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Why get a car serviced at the dealer's garage?

Options

Comments

• cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    I have to go along with the self help view here for several reasons
    Firstly the old maxim, if you want something doing correctly then do it yourself.

Secondly there can't me a better money saver than maintaining and repairing your own car.

And lastly it is both enjoyable and satisfying.

Of course I realise that not a lot of people are not clued up on cars and this is why the rogues prosper.

Being an engineer by occupation, I have built several cars,the first while I was an apprentice about 35 years ago. I run trackday cars, and messed around with installing engine management systems.

I'm not in the auto industry by any means of the word, but with a bit of application during the whole of this time I have yet to take a car to any type of garage for other than MOT time, and the odd insurance bodywork issue. I've had some pretty old cars in that time too. I'm not bragging in anyway, just saying what a tight***e I am and that for any reasonably skilled person with a few tools there is no better moneysaver. I'm just not prepared having heard so many horror stories to entrust my cars to a garage for anything I can do myself.

Only recently, the last couple of cars, have I had anything with a manufacturers waranty on it. Even then I decided on a gamble, trusting my own abilities and did the service work myself. I don't recomend this approach to anyone by the way. I have had to take the cars back for both the odd recall and minor warany issue and both times these have fixed without question. The main agent simply seeming to want there money from the manufacturer.

Lastly inspite of the fact that my local MOT station know that they are unlikely to get a penny in repairs from me we get on well, and they get all the family cars at MOT time.:money:
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • jeannieblue
    jeannieblue Posts: 4,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Am impressed Cycy Bri!

I'd had my car two years before knew how to open the bonnet......... Knew what most of the buttons were before I sold it........... Fortunately, I work for those 'who know'!

Years ago i used to check oil, plugs and stuff. But am lazy c*w now and pass the buck. Besides, open the bonnet now and its all black plastic and colour coded bits! - No, I'm really not that ignorant, just choose to be :D
    Genie
    Master Technician
  • deltic_2
    Options
    Twaddle :rotfl:

One or two so called Technicians if you're lucky... plus alot of youngsters (I shouldn't generalise, but s*d it), who basically don't give a t*ss...

A good independent hands down anyday! They can order in genuine parts you know - and, they care - which is really important!

You shouldn't have to buy 'goodwill' by being blackmailed to going to the main stealers for over priced, often badly done, servicing. Its under warranty, fix it. End of.

They'd get more business, if they charged sensible prices and did the job properly.

With respect, sorry it is you talking complete and utter rubbish.

I do not work for a dealer, but you work for an independent - who is biased ?
  • jeannieblue
    Options
    deltic wrote: »

But it took me many years to discover that being ripped off was not the norm, slow learner I guess.

Dealerships have mucked me about for years - and what we hear from our customers, you just would not believe....

I could reel off loads, plus my own struggle for the first three years of warranty with my previous car, cos they couldn't find the fault.....

Want to hear some of them? Anyone? Got some great ones...!!

I'll give you last Friday's 'best' one:

New customer comes to us - been told he needs to have his brake discs skimmed, front and rear. Guys were gobsmacked as its just not done anymore, false economy, if they're that bad, might as well changed them.

We get car up on ramp, wheels off - b***er all wrong with the brakes, plenty of meat on them - no corrosion.

The new customer shows us the quote from the toyota dealership - they wanted - get this - £202 to skim the front and the same to skim the rear!! We could fit new discs and pads all round for cheaper!:rotfl:

I've got more Deltic.....:eek:
    Genie
    Master Technician
  • jeannieblue
    Options

Oh - and I'm not biased - I'm just plain old fashioned honest - if I could say something good about them, I would.
    Genie
    Master Technician
  • Keith
    Keith Posts: 2,924 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I took my car to the local dealership under warranty as the electric auto closure wasn't working properly, I walked to the car, lowered the window and it dropped off the runner. It had been properly "tested" before I arrived.

I then left the car with the dealers for a week whilst they fixed all of these electrical problems, 30 seconds after I arrived the car had replicated 2 of the 4 it went in with.

The dealership refused to fix the folding mirrors as it had done 35,000 miles, it was bought with 28,000 on and the remainder of the warranty. Yet this was a problem that should be expected apprently. Strangely, standing in their showroom at noon on a Saturday and shouting "So your telling me a car I've owned for 6 months I'm MEANT TO EXPECT PROBLEMS COSTING HUNDREDS OF POUNDS" suddenly meant they would "look" at it, and refuse to do anything until the car was rejected following a solicitors letter at which they amazingly fixed the problem.

An able bodied motorist should not need anyone to check their fluid levels, eg brake, screen wash, power steering, coolant. Apart from screenwash a sudden lack of one of these fluids would illustrate a problem and waiting for it to be identified at a service could lead to a) more damage or b) an accident.
  • jeannieblue
    Options
    Keith wrote: »
    I took my car to the local dealership under warranty as the electric auto closure wasn't working properly, I walked to the car, lowered the window and it dropped off the runner. It had been properly "tested" before I arrived.

I then left the car with the dealers for a week whilst they fixed all of these electrical problems, 30 seconds after I arrived the car had replicated 2 of the 4 it went in with.

The dealership refused to fix the folding mirrors as it had done 35,000 miles, it was bought with 28,000 on and the remainder of the warranty. Yet this was a problem that should be expected apprently. Strangely, standing in their showroom at noon on a Saturday and shouting "So your telling me a car I've owned for 6 months I'm MEANT TO EXPECT PROBLEMS COSTING HUNDREDS OF POUNDS" suddenly meant they would "look" at it, and refuse to do anything until the car was rejected following a solicitors letter at which they amazingly fixed the problem.

An able bodied motorist should not need anyone to check their fluid levels, eg brake, screen wash, power steering, coolant. Apart from screenwash a sudden lack of one of these fluids would illustrate a problem and waiting for it to be identified at a service could lead to a) more damage or b) an accident.

I'm able bodied - but the guys check mine!!

We get some elderly customers who 'pop' in and we change a bulb or top up their levels for them. We'd charge for the bulb but thats about it.

If Deltic or like minded start in defence of stealers again - they'll get more stories! :rotfl:

But not tonight - gotta get up early for work tomorrow - we're very busy :D
    Genie
    Master Technician
  • Keith
    Keith Posts: 2,924 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm able bodied - but the guys check mine!!
    As you said yourself, you've become lazy because of having the guys on hand to do it for you.
  • gozza
    gozza Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    im buying a car from Ford part exchange and ive been asked if ive got full service history for my VW Polo. I said yes but i didnt tell him its only been stamped by VW for 4 years which covered the warranty and full services for each year from smaller private garages which is not stamped in the book , but on paper listing jobs done full service etc,.but also states a couple of problems which have been fixed but i suppose dont look good to point them out on the services!.My Polo,s 8 yr old. Im worried he expects only VW proof and might devalue my part exchange. Any advice please, thanks.:confused:
  • gingerdad
    gingerdad Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

just to add many years ago i worked for a nissan main dealer, they had 2 senior techs and 4 yts kids who did all the work, and at the time charge 20-30 per hour (early 90's)............

I have had so many bad experiences with Main dealers in this area i'm happy to stick to my little independent......

an interesting fact this week i needed a bit of trim for one of my vans, the local vauxhall dealer want 60 quid for it, the same dealer supplied it to my independent garrage and they charged me 22,10 + VAT who's the mug

GD
    The futures bright the future is Ginger
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills