Living on next to nought - is that the key?

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You're very welcome, Greying, its a little island (well, quite a big island now) of sanity here.

You put dark chocolate in the chili last night :T thats mega :T

As for Anna Olsen, I quite like her - I've often taped a few of her programmes for some cookery !!!!!! :D I like the way she does a basic recipe, and then titivates it up like crazy. Not watched any of the new season yet, but I've seen it in the schedules.

Hope your day is going well, and not *too* long :money:
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Anna Olson - yes just love her!

Though she is technically from south of the border, she did grow up north of the border & still lives there now! So has redeemed herself. ;)

One of the best parts for me is hearing the accents from home!

LOVE all her BBQ recipes and cooking for a crowd - does make me homesick - but in a good way IYSWIM!

Not sure how she stays so slim with all that baking & rich food?! - she must spend hours on the treadmill :D
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 3 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Awww, RT - that pond is still quite big, isn't it :kisses3:

Have a dodgy hug too :grouphug:
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 15 January 2014 at 9:43PM
    Options
    Good Evening :hello:
    rtandon27 wrote: »
    Anna Olson - yes just love her!

Not sure how she stays so slim with all that baking & rich food?! - she must spend hours on the treadmill :D

DP seems to think maybe her family and friends get to do all the sampling........ ;) If I ever am not making dinner when she is on, then I'll try and catch the show. This series certainly seems more *relaxed* than her baking one - she is quite 'delia' in that, but even this *new* series is from 2007 so we're quite a ways behind. I do like the look of her 'country' home though..... :D

So, I did end up spending today. I completely forgot that there was spinach in the casserole and that we didn't have any, as when we did the 'big' shop in mrT's their freezers had broken..... again...... and the assistant was so negative and unhelpful (surprise, surprise) that we left without getting and spinach and green beans. So I picked up those today. I also got some chopped tomatoes from HB, so I can make that other dish from last night. I totally forgot bananas though...... doh! But I got the TV listings guide :D (R0y 'n Hay-lee - goes without saying :D)

I did also purchase some *items of apparel * for DP from mrT - I will spare his blushes on a public forum as to what they actually were, but if you've been reading Piq's thread, I can categorically confirm that there sure as hickey ain't no sequins on 'em! :rotfl:

Dinner this evening was Greek casserole. I have made it before quite a few times. I've adapted it from a recipe that uses mince, so I use lentilles verte (yep, still got a few of the AF ones left!). I had to take the picture in the main light tonight, as the stove was full of the pressure cooker etc, so it doesn't do the dish any favours;

022_zpsb3b787aa.jpg

If you'd like to make the dish, the recipe I followed is HERE to make it veggie, just replace the mince with a similar quantity of cooked lentils - although personally I would avoid red lentils. The lentils retaining their shape helps in this dish. EDIT: I forgot to add - I make the dish totally on the stove top, I don't bake it at all. I cook the orzo, cook the lentils, and then add them into the tomato/veg mixture and cook to combine the flavours.

Oh, and talking of Ms 0lson and baking, I am declaring defeat with my attempts at 'broonie' or orcadian ginger cake. I cannot get a nice product.... I really thought that this new recipe, which had double the liquid content of the first recipe, would do it. But no, it is dry. It's annoying, as I so wanted it to work - recipes that use oats/oatmeal always get my interest, and to all intents and purposes, it fits the 'frugal fare' category...... it just ain't so pleasant to eat :( Never mind, I enjoyed trying 2 new recipes immensely and we've eaten the results - so no food waste to report :D

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

for young people writing thank you notes....eventually - one landed today - covering a birthday and Christmas, and it has pleased DP no end.

for dear friends who write intelligent, witty and interesting letters - I got one today (Postie earnt his wage coming to our door! :D)

for an apology via e-mail - even though no apology was needed! :D

Thank you so much for popping in, reading and commenting. I remain greatly appreciative.

See y'all later.

Greying
    Pounds for Panes £3,005/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping January - May £90/£90

Grocery spend May £230.12/215
    Non-food household spend May £24.01/30
    Bulk Fund May 0/£15

Knitted items for charity 2/24 (inc. Blankets 2/6)
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,706 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Thank you for writing such an interesting informative & entertaining diary :j :j
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Ellidee
    Ellidee Posts: 6,216 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Thank you for writing such an interesting informative & entertaining diary :j :j

Seconded ! :D
    Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. William James
  • Verbatim
    Verbatim Posts: 4,830 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thirded :j:j:j
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Morning :hello:

Oh my goodness beanielou - what an incredibly kind comment you made. But I still maintain that our diaries would be nothing, if it wasn't good people like yourself, that come along and support us and encourage us on. So THANK YOU :D

Ellidee and Verbatim - same goes for you - the support I receive on this thread is mind-blowing in its generosity. THANK YOU too :D

Well, what a start to the morning. I was having a complex dream - which in essence had me running circles around some form of disjointed marathon course - which is weird enough in itself, but I'll forgo telling you the even more nonsensical bits :rotfl: Suffice to say - I'm exhausted before the day has started!! :rotfl:

I'm going for a NSD today. I think we have everything that we 'need'. Although dinner is starting to look like it may be 'pot luck' as what we were having, would have required me to get up early to make lentil kibbeh - and that clearly didn't happen - I was too busy running...... :o Wish you really could get meaningful exercise in your dreams - that'd kill gym membership stone dead eh? :rotfl:

Right, I best get 'up and at 'em'. Seize the day and all that........:cool:

Thank you so very much for popping by, reading and commenting. I remain greatly appreciative.

See y'all later...... if I can keep my eyes open :o

Greying
    Pounds for Panes £3,005/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping January - May £90/£90

Grocery spend May £230.12/215
    Non-food household spend May £24.01/30
    Bulk Fund May 0/£15

Knitted items for charity 2/24 (inc. Blankets 2/6)
  • Pippilongstocking
    Options
    It's official I have a media hubby (heart swells) thank you dear :-)

I don't know this 'Anna' I'll google later when free (or doing paperwork) I hope she's a suitable media stand in for you that's all I'm saying - big boots to fill there Ms Olson.

Hope you aren't washed out all day with all that night time running.........

Shame about the broonie - I must dig out the cake I use to make for my ex-farmer - it was a leftover porridge based chocolate cake which you made in a pot (then baked) which was as moist as a moist thing on a very damp day. Sounds "interesting" but it was easy and fab and kept for days.

Digs through the depths of her mind to think where it came from.........an old yatching recipe called something like 'the captains favourite cake' which you made in a pot cos you were in a boat and eating porridge alot.

(boat obviously optional)

Richt best get on and stop havering - hope that NSD materialises! Have a good un.
    Total debt 26/4/18 <£1925 we were getting there. :beer:
    Total debt as of 28/4/19 £7867.38:eek:
    minus 112.06 = £7755.32:money:
    :money:Sleeves up folks.:money:
  • Pippilongstocking
    Options
    Nearest recipe to how I remember here

http://tonybakes.com/index.php/2013/07/20/chocolate-porridge-cake/

It's light with a lovely texture and easy to make post porridge consumption.........if you make an extra portion....:-)

Excuse the bad linking on the fruit pad.......

:-)
    Total debt 26/4/18 <£1925 we were getting there. :beer:
    Total debt as of 28/4/19 £7867.38:eek:
    minus 112.06 = £7755.32:money:
    :money:Sleeves up folks.:money:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts