Start an ironing service... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

Comments

• Stephb1986_2
    Stephb1986_2 Posts: 6,279 Forumite
    Hi we've been running 6 years now we charge £12.50 per 20 items of clothing, we dont do bedding we dont have time for that but we can easily iron 20-30 items in a hour :) i hope this helps

Stephb xx
  • bimbo84
    bimbo84 Posts: 67 Forumite
    hi, i was just wondering how you went about finding customers? do ads in shop windows work? I wouldn't mind doing this myself, i work full time but don't earn much so a part time job i can do while watching the tv would be great!
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    POSSETTE wrote: »
    If i started up an ironing service how much do you charge?

I think it would depend on what your potential customers are willing to pay/can afford.

See if you have any competition in the area and find out what they charge.

I would also ring them up and ask if they could fit your ironing in. If they can't, this could indicate that there is a lot of demand and they have a full order book.

If they pounce on you like your the first customer they've had in two years, it could indicate there isn't any call for an ironing service in your area.
  • poppett
    poppett Posts: 897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Years ago I did some ironing for an ironing service. The owner would give me £5 per black bag...and sometimes things were crammed in them like sardines. Thinking back I was a mug for doing it. Have often thought of starting again on my own but have no ideas about getting insured etc.
    £2 savers club. No.90. Aim £500.
  • Would you say £15 a bin bag was acceptable?
    Or is that too little/much?
  • Stephb1986_2
    Stephb1986_2 Posts: 6,279 Forumite
    depends the size of the bin bag really as some customers we have send the ones that fit the wheelie bins!!! in a normal size bin bag most customers can fit in 30-40 items which from my side i would be doing myself out of another £10-£12 for 40 items its £25,you have got your out goings dont forget. we advertised in local shops on notice boards we also leafleted peoples houses especially new estates or put a ad in the local paper.

We're expanding soon to do cleaning and washing so if anyone needs a job in the wigan area then give me a shout :)

Stephb xx
  • skyrocket
    skyrocket Posts: 468 Forumite
    That's a shame youre in Wigan as I'm in Stockport!
    Great news for your business though!
  • Stephb1986 wrote: »
    depends the size of the bin bag really as some customers we have send the ones that fit the wheelie bins!!! in a normal size bin bag most customers can fit in 30-40 items which from my side i would be doing myself out of another £10-£12 for 40 items its £25,you have got your out goings dont forget. we advertised in local shops on notice boards we also leafleted peoples houses especially new estates or put a ad in the local paper.

We're expanding soon to do cleaning and washing so if anyone needs a job in the wigan area then give me a shout :)

Stephb xx
    what outgoings are there?
    Wins in 2011 -Pepsi Adventure Day ,Years magazine Subscription ,Dorset Cereals .Rimmel London lasting foundation ,Britney spears goodie bag and launch party tickets,
    Wins in 2012 -Red Letter Days voucher,fortnum and mason hamper, case of Bulmers Cider, ascot tickets, NKOTBSB tickets , jewellery
    2013 and the winning streak continues!
  • Hapless_2
    Hapless_2 Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    funkycat06 wrote: »
    what outgoings are there?
    Cost of electricity. And really should have insurance incase anything gets damaged.
    The "Bloodlust" Clique - Morally equal to all. Member 10
    grocery challenge...Budget £420

Wk 1 £27.10
    Wk 2 £78.06
    Wk 3 £163.06
    Wk 4
  • Same goes here, if anyone needs an ironer in the Preston, Lancashire area let me know.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure